RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #1

Fresh water tank level detectors

So, went to add water when tank indicated empty. To my surprise the tank was still half full.

I don't think the detectors are installed correctly. See the picture.

Shouldn't these be installed vertically?

What should I use when I relocate them?. Double back tape?

WesClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1463346178.354158.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	127097

2016 Canyon Star 3710
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It could be each sensor is a different length, each getting signals from different levels. Investigate what brand of leveling system you have and see if they should be installed differently or not.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wesslvm,
Consider sending the photo and post information to Newmar Customer Service. They can provide the answer on how to removed the sensors and how to reinstall them. In include your vin # and coach number if you have it. There might also be a reason the sensors were installed like shown. The tanks can have some interesting shapes once inside the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine are installed vertically in our 2015 Dutch Star. I don't think they work all that well. Perhaps still getting used to a simple 3 sensor system compared to the very detailed sensor system we had in our country coach.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #5

These are external sensors, do not penetrate the tank. When I did my PDI at the dealer, one of the sensors had to be reinstalled, so I did see it removed. I think it was put back on with two sided tape.

2016 Canyon Star 3710
Old 05-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Would think some type of silicon should hold indicator to tank not two sided tape to insulate it from tank surface.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #7

If you can, compare the orientation of the sensors on the fresh water tank with those on the black and/or grey water tanks. If they are all outside sensors the orientation should be the same for all. If you elect to use two sided tape use the thin carpet tape instead of the foam type to minimize the "insulating" effect (which should be minimal with the external type). In any case, you will also probably have to recalibrate the tank settings.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #8

Note that your tank is l-shaped and so it's not at halfway but probably not a 1/3rd either. I'd doubt you'll have to recalibrate as the meter only shows 1/3rds anyway so it probably trips at each sensor. I'd be curious if you figure out who the maker of these sensors are, as I was thinking about moving mine slightly.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #9

I would just move them more in a 45 degree angle downward(that's how mine are mounted), as I think that is how it is calibrated for the L-shape of the holding tank. Then just start with an empty tank and as you fill it you can see how much water you have at each level. There is really nothing to re-calibrate, it's more of a gauge for you to estimate how much water you use/or have left, for a frame of reference.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok so..you got my attention! The sensor(s) have never worked on our fresh water tank as well. I just accepted since the tank was a translucent plastic you could see through..I assumed those tabs on the side were for heating? Anyway they are set up exactly as your photo indicates. So it must be the standard for installation and on our trip last week I had the tank 1/2 full and still no reading on the data board above the stairs.
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchstr3884 View Post
If you can, compare the orientation of the sensors on the fresh water tank with those on the black and/or grey water tanks. If they are all outside sensors the orientation should be the same for all. If you elect to use two sided tape use the thin carpet tape instead of the foam type to minimize the "insulating" effect (which should be minimal with the external type). In any case, you will also probably have to recalibrate the tank settings.

The black and grey tank sensors are mounted as I would expect, diagonally top to bottom in thirds.

2016 Canyon Star 3710
Old 05-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattVader View Post
Ok so..you got my attention! The sensor(s) have never worked on our fresh water tank as well. I just accepted since the tank was a translucent plastic you could see through..I assumed those tabs on the side were for heating? Anyway they are set up exactly as your photo indicates. So it must be the standard for installation and on our trip last week I had the tank 1/2 full and still no reading on the data board above the stairs.

The tech at dealer told me that you can test the sensors by putting your hand on a sensor to make it actuate while someone is inside watching the display.

I plan to try this and if they actuate I will relocate the lower two sensors to about 2/3 and 1/3 positions.

Wes

2016 Canyon Star 3710
Old 05-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Note that your tank is l-shaped and so it's not at halfway but probably not a 1/3rd either. I'd doubt you'll have to recalibrate as the meter only shows 1/3rds anyway so it probably trips at each sensor. I'd be curious if you figure out who the maker of these sensors are, as I was thinking about moving mine slightly.

Hadn't noticed the L shape till just now. Still the sensors are not properly positioned IMHO.

I think this is the sensor type: http://levelguardproducts.com/marine...nk-monitor.php

Installation instructions state: "sensors attach with aggressive foam tape". I have some leftover 3M HD tape left over from a Solar install on previous RV, maybe I'll use some of that.

Wes

2016 Canyon Star 3710
Old 05-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesslvm View Post
It looks rectangular, donut see any change in dimensions top to bottom.

2016 Canyon Star 3710
On ours there is a portion that runs the whole width of the MH that is about 8 inches deep, and the same width of the rectangular portion, and then ends with the rectangular portion on the passenger side of the MH, where you open the bay door(if that makes sense). So if you were to take it out it would resemble an L-shape. With ours mounted downward on an angle, they actually read pretty accurately. Again they are nothing more than reference points so you don't have to open the bay door to see how much water you have.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water