Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 05:54 AM   #1

Fresh water tank overfills

I noticed today that the fresh water tank overflow outlet had water running out of it. I am connected to city water and I have verified the valve is NOT in the fill position. I shut off the city water supply, turned on the pump and drained down the tank level to where the overflow stopped. I rotated the fill/city water valve several times to each extreme stop. It appears to be working fine. I again placed the valve in the off position and turned on the city water at the spigot. Shortly thereafter the tank was overflowing again.

Can these valves fail? As a side note, I did rotate the valve handle to the fill position while the city water supply was on and you could hear and feel the water flowing at capacity to the water tank. Rotating the valve to the off position you could hear the water stop flowing. That tells me it is working? Right?

I searched the threads but didn't find this particular problem. I am hoping someone might have had the same issue and can share the fix.

Thanks in advance.

HoboBob
2007 DS 4304
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes these valves can fail. It sounds like your valve is "leaking by" which means a very small amount of water is passing past the valve even though the valve is in the closed position.

I am confident the only way water gets into the tank is through the fill valve. Again, they can and do go bad after years of service.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Try disconnecting from city water then turning on the water pump. If the jump cycles on and off it could be the pump. I just went through a similar situation and that was my problem.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:50 AM   #4

Does your valve have a plastic handle on it ? On my unit, the inside of the plastic handle rounded off and it didn't fully close the valve. Temp solution was to take off the handle and turn with a wrench. Since Newmar no longer uses the plastic handle, the long term solution was to put on a metal handle
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips. The flow out the overflow is pretty steady. A lot more than a small leak past the valve. I will look at the handle closer. The pump does not cycle unless a tap is opened.

Not sure if related but I don't use a regulator and the water pressure at this park and the last one is and was very high. I am going to pick one up today. I know......closing the barn door after the horse got out.

HoboBob
2007 DS 4304
Old 05-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #6

My guess: the pump check valve might be leaking allowing city water to back flow into the tank.
I am not sure where the check valve is located on your system so I can't tell you how to check it.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hello - water can back flow through the water pump. The water pump has a backflow valve built into it that can fail (this happened to me and the water tank levels would go up when on city water).

If you have a shut off valve in front of the water pump, you can shut it off while on city water to test if this is what is happening in your case.

Alan
str8six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #8

My bypass ball valve does not completely close and I get water running into the tank during the city water use. If the water tank is close to full.. I will get hissing and spitting and eventually a nice stream coming out the overflow on the water fill area.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #9

Well, I had to drill the rusted screw to get the handle off the valve. Valve leaks a bit. But I can turn it off and on with vice grips. Feels sloppy. I still hear a little water running when the valve is turned to the off position. I don't see a valve to isolate the water pump to eliminate that from the list of possibilities. So still not sure if it is the valve or water pump back flowing.

Unfortunately, Camping World can't tell me what replacement valve I need until they see it. Anyone know the model of the valve Newmar used on a 07 DS?

Also to access it, I will need to remove the whole panel, which involves cutting all the shark bite connections and finding replacements. Now I see what others mean when they say it is a PITA to access anything behind the panel.

If I have to tear it all out, I will probably just replace the pump as well since I don't know if this is the original or not.

HoboBob
2007 DS 4304
Old 05-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #10

JMHO: Spend the extra $$ and get the adjustable , water pressure regulator with a pressure gauge. With the less expensive reducers , you're never sure what your getting.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #11

That's what I was thinking as well, Skip.

HoboBob
2007 DS 4304
Old 05-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #12

Looks like the winners are............bad water pump! Installed a new water pump (old one is the original). No more slight water running noise with the valve in the city water position. So I will let it set a few hours to see if the water tank overflows but I think I got it, with everyone's help.

Never realized just how dang loud the old pump was. The new ShurFlo is super quiet. I will have to make sure to check the switches now. I was use to hearing it run to remind me it was on.

I will have to see about getting a replacement fill/city water valve and handle from Newmar. Hope they have one. But can do it after this trip. Will just have to use pliers to work the valve in the interim.

Thanks to you all for your suggestion and ideas. I love IRV2. What a wealth of information and support.

HoboBob
2007 DS 4304
Old 05-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #13

I had the same problem with the water fill valve leaking, and over filling the fresh water tank. It looked like it was going to be a huge PITA to take the whole board off to replace the valve. Instead, I just reached behind the board and put a good brass shut off valve in line between the old valve and the tank fill. Now I can just leave the valve on the board open, and then reach behind the board to open or close the new in line valve. I should label it somehow to make it easier for the next guy.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #14

Fresh water tank overfills

Oh, forgot to add I purchased a Watts adj. water pressure regulated and put in-line with the hose. Nice unit but a little spendy.

State Trailer Supply in Salt Lake City has great people to help you and an unbelievable parts supply. Check em out on-line. Everything you need for any project.

HoboBob
2007 DS 4304

Tags
fresh water, tank, water