RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #1

Fresh water tank, very tight baffling?

Okay, now on to the next question for my 1994 Kountry Star

I wanted to fill it at home, right full, to see and make sure that the tank did not have any leaks. Simple process. Fill it, let it sit, see if the water goes anywhere.

So I fill it via the filler tube on the passenger side. I watch the tank level, since it's nice and visible from the storage bay right beside the filler tube. Fill it up to right full, no problem. I go, reel back the hose to the house, come back, and look. What the heck? It's already down about 1/8 to 1/4 in the tank. I'm looking desperately for any leaks, but I'm not seeing any, no drips under the motorhome either. Surely, if I've got a leak like that, it would drip down under the MH.

I go around to the other side, open the driver side storage bay door where I can see the tank, and it's only showing about 1/4 full. I verify the other side is still 3/4 full, and I'm confused. Looks like there must be some baffles inside the tank to make the water slowly go from one compartment to another. These are used all the time on gas tanks.

I can see having some baffling in the tank to prevent sloshing while driving. Great idea, really. However, are the baffles on these so tight that you have to fill it in phases? It eventually settled out at approx 1/2 and 1/2, but it took some time. Certainly would be a pain when I'm trying to actually get ready to go camping.

Anyone else have this on their Newmar?

omegacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just a thought, do you possible have 2 tanks instead of one baffled tank, this could explain 2 fill hoses and 2 vent hoses. The 2 would be connected via a 1/2" tube from the bottom of one to the bottom of the other.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have two tanks with a 1 1/4' PIPE between them.
Remember your adding 8lb per gallon if full 50 gal 400lb's are you dry camping?
Don't your have a divert valve at city water connection to fill your fresh water tanks maybe the time period the Newmars didn't have them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #4

Hmmm, not sure about the divert valve at the city connection, have to check that.

We do pretty much exclusively dry camping (typically weekenders) so packing as much water as possible is a plus, as there typically isn't much around (even though it costs us extra weight).

Did not know it was two tanks, actually. I assume the line between them must connect at the bottom, otherwise that could be a mild pain in the butt
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My two tanks a separated and when we dry camp never had a problem drawing any of the water from both tanks.
All the gas coach's are set up that way. The WP pulls the water from the drivers side tank and both tanks just balance out when WP stops.
They are tied at bottom of tanks.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #6

Okay, I just went out and checked a couple things on this topic.

For the city water, I can not find any sort of divertor. I hook up to my own home hose, I turn it on, and there's an initial rush of water, presumably to pressurise the lines, but then it stops. I have water when I turn on a faucet, without the aid of the water pump, but that's it.

I also tried to overfill the tanks and sure enough, it started coming out of the clear plastic tube up top and into the storage compartment. Think I might have to either find a way to plug those lines or drill a hole through the storage compartment and feed them down that way.

Do you have any problems filling yours? Given that I have to restrict the flow of water into the unit when I'm filling it (won't accept garden hose at anything near full speed), I either don't have 1 1/4", or it's plugged some. I can deal with it if that's the way it is, but just wanted to know if others have the same problem or not, as it is kind of annoying. Have to make sure when packing for the weekend. First step, fill water. Middle step, fill water again. Last step, fill water so I can get both tanks near full
Old 05-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A SMALL CLEAR PLASTIC tube out of top of tank is not right the white green pipes are the vents.
You do have a pipe out of one of the fresh water tanks to your WP AND INTO PLUMBING SYSTEM.
You have a pipe between tanks because you said both tanks leveled off.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #8

filling tank

I am not sure of your problem, I have a single tank that used to air lock all the time when filling. it would take about half a tank and then start hiccuping air and water, my fix was to cut my fill hose and buy a stiffer plastic hose that fit inside the air hose, clamp it together and when I need to fill my tank I would fish the stiffer black plastic hose into the bottom of my tank and fill from the bottom up, instead of the other way...works fine now every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegacanuck View Post
Okay, I just went out and checked a couple things on this topic.

For the city water, I can not find any sort of divertor. I hook up to my own home hose, I turn it on, and there's an initial rush of water, presumably to pressurise the lines, but then it stops. I have water when I turn on a faucet, without the aid of the water pump, but that's it.

I also tried to overfill the tanks and sure enough, it started coming out of the clear plastic tube up top and into the storage compartment. Think I might have to either find a way to plug those lines or drill a hole through the storage compartment and feed them down that way.

Do you have any problems filling yours? Given that I have to restrict the flow of water into the unit when I'm filling it (won't accept garden hose at anything near full speed), I either don't have 1 1/4", or it's plugged some. I can deal with it if that's the way it is, but just wanted to know if others have the same problem or not, as it is kind of annoying. Have to make sure when packing for the weekend. First step, fill water. Middle step, fill water again. Last step, fill water so I can get both tanks near full

xplorer33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water