Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #1

Fresh water tank warning 0%

At campground on city water/auto fill

Went outside and noticed large puddle around our coach

Turned off city water spigot

Fresh water low point valve is closed

Did not identify any obvious lsigns of leaks under coach

No signs of water in coach.

Any thoughts about how to zero in on problem?

Thanks...
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Are you using the water preheat knob in the shower with a full water tank?
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Went camping with a friend a few weeks ago, and we were discussing this problem. The next morning he had a puddle around his coach...he had already forgot!
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Yes...how would that effect it?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When you use the water preheat knob in the shower, it returns the water that is cold to the water tank. So if you're connected to shore water, turn the lever to preheat, the shore water has to go somewhere and that somewhere is the water tank. Now you're adding water to a full tank.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:20 AM   #6

Quote:
When you use the water preheat knob in the shower, it returns the water that is cold to the water tank. So if you're connected to shore water, turn the lever to preheat, the shore water has to go somewhere and that somewhere is the water tank. Now you're adding water to a full tank.
Yes, thanks Don. The thing that put me in panic mode was the Fresh Water Tank 0% warning on the Silverleaf screen. After seeing that and going outside to find water all over the ground, I assumed some broken connection or tank. I’m guessing that the warning was a temporary issue caused be the overflowing tank...the warning disappeared shortly thereafter.

A couple things learned from the experience...
- when on city water, the water miser serves no useful purpose other than maybe to serve as a drier method of waiting for the hot water to get to the shower head. It does not “save” hot water.
- if using the water miser on city water, turn off “auto fill”.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:46 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal218 View Post
Yes, thanks Don. The thing that put me in panic mode was the Fresh Water Tank 0% warning on the Silverleaf screen. After seeing that and going outside to find water all over the ground, I assumed some broken connection or tank. I’m guessing that the warning was a temporary issue caused be the overflowing tank...the warning disappeared shortly thereafter.

A couple things learned from the experience...
- when on city water, the water miser serves no useful purpose other than maybe to serve as a drier method of waiting for the hot water to get to the shower head. It does not “save” hot water.
- if using the water miser on city water, turn off “auto fill”.
Your last point is not the full picture.

When on city water, the use of the water saver is filling your fresh tank. Water comes in from city, goes into tank.

The only time it makes sense to use autofill is when connected to city water. This waits for the fresh tank to drop below 30% and then fills the tank from the city supply.

It is normal with this setup to run both the pump and city pressure. If city pressure drops below the pumps preset limit, the pump takes over. Once you run low on water in the tank, autofill will replenish.

For me this is a game changer. I have gained back several hours of my week just waiting on the tank to fill.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Your last point is not the full picture.

When on city water, the use of the water saver is filling your fresh tank. Water comes in from city, goes into tank.

The only time it makes sense to use autofill is when connected to city water. This waits for the fresh tank to drop below 30% and then fills the tank from the city supply.

It is normal with this setup to run both the pump and city pressure. If city pressure drops below the pumps preset limit, the pump takes over. Once you run low on water in the tank, autofill will replenish.

For me this is a game changer. I have gained back several hours of my week just waiting on the tank to fill.
Thanks Redbaron...

I should have said temporarily turn off Auto fill while using the water miser. Thanks for pointing out that the water pump can be turned on while on city water...it will sense if it is needed.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal218 View Post
Thanks Redbaron...

I should have said temporarily turn off Auto fill while using the water miser. Thanks for pointing out that the water pump can be turned on while on city water...it will sense if it is needed.
I just want to make sure you understand there is no relation between autofill and shower miser, except that they both allow water from city fill the fresh water tank.

Even with autofill off, your showermiser will fill the fresh water tank if you are on city water.

I actually take advantage of that when my tank is at 80%. I can then safely run the showermiser, and fill my fresh tank a bit while getting hot water ready.

The problem is when fresh tank reaches 100%, you are connected to city, and then use showermiser. You will overflow.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
What's this shower miser you are talking about? Would I have that on my 2017 DS4369?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
What's this shower miser you are talking about? Would I have that on my 2017 DS4369?
It is a diverter that pumps water thru the plumbing and returns to the fresh tank. Allows the hot water to be ready before you turn on the sprayer. Otherwise people let shower run for a bit until it sprays hot water, thus filling grey and losing fresh.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
How do I know if my coach is so equipped? Is there a lever to activate the miser, switch I am unaware of perhaps or is this something that came out after 2017?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
How do I know if my coach is so equipped? Is there a lever to activate the miser, switch I am unaware of perhaps or is this something that came out after 2017?
Yes, a separate valve near the main valve, along with a plastic blue circle, that will turn somewhat opaque once heated.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a design flaw. When shower miser is recirculating it should disable city water intake.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water