RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fried house batts.

I'm pretty sure my house batteries are fried.

Within 30 minutes of plugging my Ventana into my 50 amp service 2 of my 4 house batts are boiling. I've switched the batteries around and the same 2 batts in a different place are boiling. What do you think?
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #2

Bad news .

How old are the batteries , and can you transport them to have the load tested?
Old 10-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #3

If they are lead acid batteries there could be an internal short. Over time the batteries have build up on the plates and eventually develop a short across one or more of the plates.
JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #4

"Boiling" means more current is being forced through the batteries than the batteries can absorb. If some batteries in the battery bank do it and others don't then it is failed batteries. It could be one battery in a series pair of 6 volt batteries or it could be both.

If all batteries do it, it may be a failed charger. Measure the voltage at the main battery bank terminals. Voltage should be 13.3 to 14.6 volts for proper charging.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the input.

3 and 1/2 years old. I've only had it 6mos. And frankly there has been these or similar issues since I purchased. I can't complain I did get a great deal, but they were charging it at the time.

Where would one find the main battery bank charging cables?
Old 10-18-2020, 04:47 AM   #6

Once you replace the batteries, make sure to keep the electrolyte levels correct.

Also, make sure your charger is configured correctly.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjim View Post
Thanks for the input.

3 and 1/2 years old. I've only had it 6mos. And frankly there has been these or similar issues since I purchased. I can't complain I did get a great deal, but they were charging it at the time.

Where would one find the main battery bank charging cables?
Banks of batteries in RV's are usually wired to provide 12 volt output. 12 volt batteries are wired in "parallel" to produce a larger capacity battery bank. Each battery positive terminal is wired to its neighbor. Each negative terminal is also wired to its neighbor. One cable from battery positive goes to house circuits. Another cable goes from battery negative to house circuits. The "one" cables are the main battery wires used for charging and discharging.

6 volt batteries are wired in pairs in "series" to provide 12 volt pairs. One positive is wired to its pair negative. That produces 12 volts from one battery positive to the other battery negative. The 12 volt pairs are then wired the same as the 12 volt batteries. One cable from 12 volt positive goes to house circuits. Another cable goes from 12 volt negative to house circuits.

Replacing all the batteries in the battery bank will get best performance and longest life. In theory any individual 12 volt battery or any pair of 6 volt batteries can be replaced with one of the same chemistry.

However, if the whole battery bank has been abused or is worn out and one or two have failed, then the others are likely near failure as well. This is a good reason to replace them all.

Drawing flooded cells down flat causes damage to the lead plates and support structure. Flakes of lead can bridge the small space between plates or accumulate in the bottom to cause short circuits between plates. Large pieces of plates can become detached and greatly decrease capacity. This may be what happened to one or two of your batteries.

Properly maintained lead acid batteries get about 300 to 400 full discharge cycles. Full time dry camping where substantial charge is performed every day can last for 2 to 5 years. Periodic vacation use or occasional weekend use can last for 10 years or more.

The key is proper maintenance. Always store lead acid batteries fully charged. That is 14 to 18 hours of charging. Ignore voltage based battery monitors. They are only accurate when batteries are sitting without charge or discharge for a few hours. 14 hours is necessary to clean the sulfate crystals off the plates. Leaving it there causes the crystals to become permanently attached. For full timing, a full 14 to 18 hour charge is required periodically.

Always maintain water level, especially after charging. Charging consumes water. Refill with distilled water only. Salts and contaminates interfere with the chemistry.

Occasionally "condition" flooded cell batteries to "stir" the electrolyte. Electrolyte tends to stratify after a while. Flooded cell batteries are said to "boil". Actually they are emitting hydrogen and oxygen. The "boiling" stirs the electrolyte. Do not do this with AGM batteries. They do not need stirring.

Periodically clean acid spray deposits off battery cases, terminals, and cables. The spray is deposited when flooded cell batteries are charged. High voltage (15.0 volts) overcharging or fast (14.5 volts) charging causes both more acid spray and consumes more water. This is sometimes done to "condition" or restore capacity lost due to sulfate accumulation.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #8

I would assume the PO likely failed to maintain them properly and go ahead and replace them. At least then you’ll know what you have and can start clean. MANY owners neglect their batteries especially if they are of the flooded variety. We’re all so used to maintenance free car batteries that we forget that MH house batteries are different. And it doesn’t take very many neglectful discharges or low water levels to permanently damage the batteries.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Yup........your batteries are "Fried" as you say. Time for new batteries and good "Care and feeding" going forward
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
So I removed the cables and did a voltmeter test after fully charging. I got a 5.2 reading on 2 of them and 11.2 0n a 3rd. The 4th was carrying them all.

I replaced them with 4 24 dc marine Besa Cross Country batts. Not a Cadillac, but a well thought of group. good price, good warranty.

Reading a steady 13.4. I'm glad that's over. AAHHH!