Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
It’s a Leece Neville...

J180 is part no AVI160J2004, if that helps....

https://www.urqualitysolutions.com/N...04-A160204.htm

If you up the amperage...you may need heavier gauge wire and double check amp rating on Bi-directional relay. Don’t want to cook anything. I was thinking about the 280A model...but it’s overkill for our needs.

The problem you might have is with the Lithium voltages. We have a gentleman running solar + alt. He is using the Li-BIM225. It works by time management...so, it’s not keeping the Alternator tied long enough to fully help with the A/C. Bottom line...depleting the SOC of the Lithium’s while driving because the BIM ties for something like five minutes and drops out for 20 minutes (if I remember correctly).

If you have a work around...we’re interested in learning about it.

Ours is the PAD mount. It’s driven by a single accessory drive belt.
Thanks, looks like that alternator will fit fine. Currently running alternator at 13.8 volts and have a dash controlled solenoid relay to connect alternator to lithiums. I have victron equipment with bluetooth so can see solar input, SOC, battery load, voltage etc.
and monitor from dash. My main worry was the alternator overheating. Read about a guy running his ac with only a little solar assist and he said his 160 amp alternator got very hot.
Still a work in progress, but hoping I can run off solar and batteries and only use alternator to supplement load. At 13.8 volts don't think it will fully charge batteries, but not a big deal with lithiums.
My house battery wiring to alternator is all 3.0, and relay is 250 amps continuous.
Of course this all theory for now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Thanks, looks like that alternator will fit fine. Currently running alternator at 13.8 volts and have a dash controlled solenoid relay to connect alternator to lithiums. I have victron equipment with bluetooth so can see solar input, SOC, battery load, voltage etc.
and monitor from dash. My main worry was the alternator overheating. Read about a guy running his ac with only a little solar assist and he said his 160 amp alternator got very hot.
Still a work in progress, but hoping I can run off solar and batteries and only use alternator to supplement load. At 13.8 volts don't think it will fully charge batteries, but not a big deal with lithiums.
My house battery wiring to alternator is all 3.0, and relay is 250 amps continuous.
Of course this all theory for now.
I like your plan!

I'll post an update once I can tag the Alt. line with a Bluetooth enabled clamp meter. I'm interested in how much the Alt. is actually putting out. I think these alternators are -40 to 125 degree C rated...which is hot!!

The 160A isn't a match for this...when paired with lower solar output. He's coming close to maxing it out...and is probably seeing a sizable reduction in battery SOC the while. Diminishing return...
Old 07-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #31

Quote:
I like your plan!

I'll post an update once I can tag the Alt. line with a Bluetooth enabled clamp meter. I'm interested in how much the Alt. is actually putting out. I think these alternators are -40 to 125 degree C rated...which is hot!!

The 160A isn't a match for this...when paired with lower solar output. He's coming close to maxing it out...and is probably seeing a sizable reduction in battery SOC the while. Diminishing return...
Think I solved half of the charging problem. My solar normally keeps the house LI house batteries charged up when sitting unplugged. I have a smaller inverter on house batteries, just for electronics [sat memory] so I do not have to leave big inverter on. Found a 3 stage 3 amp agm charger and plugged it into small inverter. This keeps my start batteries up without a high dollar combiner or dc to dc converter.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #32

I installed an Easy Start a couple of years ago because, even with a hard start capacitor, when the compressor kicked on, it shut down my dish receiver, caused a loud thump in the compressor & probably was causing other problems I wasn't aware of. The Easy Start eliminates any problems & no loud "compressor thump". It also doesn't cause large voltage drops in park hookups that are a little weak to begin with. Worth every penny & easy to install with good directions & good customer support.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well...concluded an interesting test today.

Placed a Bluetooth enabled clamp meter in the cable that goes from the Alternator to Chassis Batteries. Drove a little over two hours using the Solar + Alternator to run front A/C unit. The Alternator reading isn’t just the amount shared with the House side...but includes the Chassis items too. Avg. draw was approx. 171 Amps.

I need to do the same test with the clamp in the cable leaving the Chassis band to tie to the House bank to help differentiate between the shared house load, and the existing Chassis load.

Still...arrived destination with fully charged batteries.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Well...concluded an interesting test today.

Placed a Bluetooth enabled clamp meter in the cable that goes from the Alternator to Chassis Batteries. Drove a little over two hours using the Solar + Alternator to run front A/C unit. The Alternator reading isn’t just the amount shared with the House side...but includes the Chassis items too. Avg. draw was approx. 171 Amps.

I need to do the same test with the clamp in the cable leaving the Chassis band to tie to the House bank to help differentiate between the shared house load, and the existing Chassis load.

Still...arrived destination with fully charged batteries.
Charlie, thanks for reminding me about the chassis load, I can sort of figure out alt. load by looking at solar in and inverter in, but would appreciate link to the bluetooth amp meter to make sure my figures are correct. Jim
Old 07-15-2019, 04:51 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Charlie, thanks for reminding me about the chassis load, I can sort of figure out alt. load by looking at solar in and inverter in, but would appreciate link to the bluetooth amp meter to make sure my figures are correct. Jim
I BTMETER BT-570CAPP Digital Clamp Meter Multimeter, Auto-Ranging Bluetooth Amp Meter for AC&DC Current Amperage Voltage Resistance Temp Electrical Tester with Backlit Continuity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CFWL3SY..._gFflDb7E8G6A2

I am surprised...for the price, this is a nice little meter. FLUKE is an industry standard in RMS AC/DC Clampmeter but can be pricey. No reason NOT to have one of these. The Bluetooth range can cause dropouts over longer distances...but it allowed me to hang the meter on a cable in the chassis bat compartment...and position my phone safely in the bathroom above. While paired, the Meter doesn’t SLEEP..so, you can continuously collect Data.

I’ll compare some readings with my Fluke 36...but I think this little gem has won a place on my coach. It might also be handy, since it records...for people that don’t have a Battery Monitor installed yet..,but are trying to plan a solar system.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:19 AM   #36

I ran the front AC for six hours on Saturday. Started at 100 SOC ended up at around 40. That included a lunch break and gas break.

That is kinda what I saw last winter when first tested.

That is as long as I will need to go so even though it does not keep SOC up like Charlie's , it still satisfies the demand. I did find I had to force the charger into bulk charge that night. I don't know if they were connected or not.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Question More info\links

Interesting thread, BUT, could someone PLEASE post a link to either/or C.Martin & Miro-Air?? Don't want to hijack or sound like a rag, but I find this here,(IRV2), pretty routinely, (& as much senior members as newer members), these threads start, & pretty quick take off between several members that have personal knowledge of topic\item\subject, & interested members, (like me), are left uninformed & feeling like we're eavesdropping on a private conversation. ~~Just say'n~~ (no "whine" intended, but I could bring the cheese!)
Old 07-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLH View Post
Interesting thread, BUT, could someone PLEASE post a link to either/or C.Martin & Miro-Air?? Don't want to hijack or sound like a rag, but I find this here,(IRV2), pretty routinely, (& as much senior members as newer members), these threads start, & pretty quick take off between several members that have personal knowledge of topic\item\subject, & interested members, (like me), are left uninformed & feeling like we're eavesdropping on a private conversation. ~~Just say'n~~ (no "whine" intended, but I could bring the cheese!)
Please...this is all about participation.

Here's a link to the MicroAir Easy Start...

Hutch Mountain Run AC with 1 Generator - Microair Easy Start 364 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD1S63M..._loklDbX434VCH
Old 07-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #39

Quote:
Please...this is all about participation.

Here's a link to the MicroAir Easy Start...

Hutch Mountain Run AC with 1 Generator - Microair Easy Start 364 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD1S63M..._loklDbX434VCH
Bluetooth amp meter looks great. Ordered today.
If you are electrically savvy, there is a micro-air manual model that will say you $100.
https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=29181710923
Old 07-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I finished my project Tuesday (half the solar) and ran the air off the batteries on the way to Camp Newmar. It worked perfect. I ran out of time so haven't installed the new BIM yet. As expected the alt. never charged the house batteries. It was nice to be able to run the air all night and not listen to the generator.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #41

A couple years ago we had some post on irv2 about Newmar owners saying they got better fuel economy by running their gen. to run their AC then using their dash air. Something to add to the mix. It would be interesting to see if anybody has information on this.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
I finished my project Tuesday (half the solar) and ran the air off the batteries on the way to Camp Newmar. It worked perfect. I ran out of time so haven't installed the new BIM yet. As expected the alt. never charged the house batteries. It was nice to be able to run the air all night and not listen to the generator.
Congrats on your setup. It is nice to make use of solar and/or great batteries and be able to run an AC off of it. Going into solar you think only about boondocking but there are other advantages as we're learning.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, solar