Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Front door rattling loudly

On the way home from our third trip since getting the BayStar, the front door began rattling and squeaking in a most annoying fashion. When we looked at it from the outside (hard to look at it from the inside with the screen door there!), we could tell that, even when latched and locked, the upper left corner of the door was no longer tightly flush with the frame. Lots of play in it all down the entire left side. Is there an adjustment we can make or have made locally or is this something to add to the list of things when we take it to the dealer later this month for a scheduled slide adjustment and some other things?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #2

Patti, no doubt you've tried this, already...my '15 Dutch Star 4369 requires
a pretty "hefty" closing, amounting to a "slam". Otherwise, I experience
annoying noises, too.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not the same coach,
but our Monaco was doing that...
the door latches should slide over 'pins' on the door frame to lock.
they were not able to 'grab' the pins properly because the pins should have some movement in a slight arc and the top pin was not moving like it should.

And sprayed some crc lube in there and used a glove and cloth to protect my hand and pushed it up and pulled it down to free it up and now it latches better and no squeaks.

good luck

(the adjusting pdf is for a different coach, but typical)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Pin.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	113115  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf _Adjusting entrance door.pdf (338.8 KB, 117 views)
Old 12-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
They may have changed, but on our Canyon Star there is a hex-shaped door striker on the door frame, there's a good picture of it on Oemy's website:

Loosen this and it can be moved to tighten the door. As said above, if it is too tight you have to slam the door, there are two latching positions as the door closes (like most car doors).
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:13 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh37 View Post
Patti, no doubt you've tried this, already...my '15 Dutch Star 4369 requires
a pretty "hefty" closing, amounting to a "slam". Otherwise, I experience
annoying noises, too.
Wow, one good slam and a perfectly tight fit! I had recently started being more gentle when closing the door as echoes from childhood of my mother's admonitions "you'll tear that door off its hinges" had begun haunting me. Guess Mom wasn't always right...

Too bad we had to endure 8 noisy hours of travel yesterday. Should have posted sooner!

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #6

Sure glad something "as simple as that" worked for you, Patti. I, too, am hesitant to "slam" doors, unless instructions (not always in writing) call for it.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #7
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
Wow, one good slam and a perfectly tight fit! I had recently started being more gentle when closing the door as echoes from childhood of my mother's admonitions "you'll tear that door off its hinges" had begun haunting me. Guess Mom wasn't always right...

Too bad we had to endure 8 noisy hours of travel yesterday. Should have posted sooner!

Thanks!
A good way to test if the door is closed from the inside is to try to lock the deadbolt. If it moves smoothly, you're closed properly. If it is very tight, STOP and re-slam the door. Test the deadbolt again. It's become routine for us. Much better than driving down the road trying to figure out what all that squeaking is about

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:27 AM   #8

Spend some time with the adjustment of the latch and you won't have to "slam" the door to have it latch correctly. I had to adjust our Baystar door striker, but once I got it right, the door closes easily without any rattles while traveling. The key is to loosen the latch just enough to let it move by slightly tapping it. If loosened too much it will move out of adjustment and you won't know where your starting point was making the job much longer than necessary. Another issue I had was the weather strip attached to the door. At about the lower third section, where most people grab the door edge while standing on the ground, the strip kind of remolded itself so it wouldn't retract into the seal area pinching it in the door reveal causing the door to not close easily. I had to use some black tape to re train the rubber to stay in position.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #9

An old fix for a rattling door is to wrap the post with a couple of turns of electrical tape.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post

Thanks!
Yes I too am amazed how hard the door must be slammed to get a good close. Newmar says there are two levels of closing. A gentle slam is what we use most of the time and the door is still lockable. For travel however the door must be slammed crazy hard. With the gentle slam you won't be able to use the deadbolt. That is how we check door for travel, if the deadbolt won't close we need to slam it harder until the dead bolt is available.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Funny - that is the only way we have gotten rid of the horrible noise. The factory worked on it twice and the dealer twice. I think they have a design issue. Neither of our two previous motorhomes had a problem with door noise. The tape seems to work!
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #12

On our initial trip home with the new BS, the thin metal kick plate of the screen door rattled unless the door was slammed shut. When home I put a thin film of white lithium grease on the striker bolt and the door then shut securely without slamming. This took care of the annoying rattles. I also considered putting very thin strips of foam between the thin metal kick plate and the screen door frame.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
This fixed mind, now I have piece of mind driving down the line. :-)
Rose mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
This fixed our problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
They may have changed, but on our Canyon Star there is a hex-shaped door striker on the door frame, there's a good picture of it on Oemy's website:

Loosen this and it can be moved to tighten the door. As said above, if it is too tight you have to slam the door, there are two latching positions as the door closes (like most car doors).
Rose mobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door