Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #1

Front drop down slide adjustment question (MADP)

Hello all again,

I have a question, for those of you who have a flat floor front slide, how aggressive is the drop down when powering out the slide?

Does it smoothly move out, then gently lower, or does it move out and then drop (like off a cliff) with a loud bang?

I had my old man take his 2007 MADP in for service this week to look at the slide.

The front drivers slide does not seem to be in proper adjustment. Rear side of the slide seems to be a little low. Inside the top of the slide seal does not make a solid seal with the inner wall, it looks to be low by a 1/2 inch.
The stealership said the slide was just fine, and in proper adjustment.

This is happening with the coach properly leveled on a basically level concrete pad (no frame twist)

So I was just planning to adjust this myself.
I have seen what I assume are adjustment screws under the slide mechanism, but I wanted to see it anyone had attempted to adjust their slide themselves. Any guidance would be appreciated.
CorporateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
SLIDE ADJUSTMENT

Read this thread try to follow directions we do not want to do to many adjustments of rods, nipple pin wheel etc. There will be pictures near end of thread. You may just have to reset the pin wheel.
This link has been corrected in QUICK TIPS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the link, but I see that is for in/out adjustment.

I see from one of the photos the large bolt that points up into the slide, is my assumption correct that is for up/down adjustment? It looks like the slide is mounted on a square tube (along the whole side) then suspended on two large bolts.

Also in that thread it was mentioned the "locking bar" dropping into its slot. Is that the loud bang I hear? Am I supposed to hear it?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The bang could be the rod when it hits the stop. You do not at this time want to adjust any rods. With your slide pulled in is there a gap between the slidewall and side wall of coach. If there is you should loosen the pin wheel allen screws and get help to reseat the slide box flush against the side wall of coach then tighten the allen screws. Once the wheel is loose the pin wheel will spin on shaft.
The square D with holes may have slipped over a nipple on wheel to cause the slide to be out of adjustment.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #5

The slide is 100% flush when pulled in, it is only when out that one side is lower (not out) than the other.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have no loose nuts on rods, they use double nuts to lock the rod, and nothing is on the floor caught between the face plate of slide and inside wall?
Check also the roller on that end of slide when in, have to crawl on floor, and see if both nuts are on roller ends and that roller is not cracked.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check also the floor base of slide box it has no give and its solid.

I'll pick this up with you in the morn time for bed.........
Old 03-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #8

Next time I am there I will have to check the rollers (although I thought those were for when the slide moved inboard?)

What got me thinking about the slide being out of adjustment is two part:

First the rear portion of the slide lowers until it is resting, and bending the metal strip that runs above the compartment doors. The front portion (by the front left wheel) does not rest on that strip it sits a good 1/2 - 3/4 inch above the strip.

Second it the rear inside is not flush with the inner wall when out, I can feel air moving from outside.

BTW I am still curious if the slide is supposed to loudly bang as it drops.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The slide should not be as you described when out your roller on that end may be off its bracket, nuts became loose, its a wonder your floor has not been scratched.
If its the living room slide you will have 4 rollers I'd check the two towards the dropped end.
The rollers play part in getting the slide leading edge up the floor ramp to flat surface of floor.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
The slide should not be as you described when out your roller on that end may be off its bracket, nuts became loose, its a wonder your floor has not been scratched.
If its the living room slide you will have 4 rollers I'd check the two towards the dropped end.
I agree: This happened to Us on Our Bedroom slide (except no loud bang). :(One roller was almost sideways, one bolt missing, two others were loose. The slide would work really funky, that's when I figured out what was wrong. We got lucky, Ours was still under warranty, all material & labor were covered.
Wingnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #11

Has anyone ever seen how Newmar's flat floor slide operates? I haven't really dug into the mechanism yet and I was curious.

I have seen how all the other raised floor slides operate, but with the flat floor I didn't know if there is some sort of sloped track to guide the slide down, or if the entire mechanism is angled down.

I am just curious how the downward motion is accomplished.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The sidewall has a slope built at base of wall the length of slide, for living slide. Your bedroom slide & kitchen slide will be on the flat floor. If you put the slide out 1/2 way and stop it you will see the slope. Its something to check and make sure you have a metal sheet thats still in place that the rollers glide on as slide drops.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #13

It is normal operation for the ODS front slide (floor flush). 007 has it in his description too. What is happening - look under the slide as it comes out from the outside and be careful - is the roller is coming to the edge of the floor and starts down a small wedge ramp (the method Newmar uses to "lower" the slide to floor level. This ramp is about just a tad below floor level so the rollers actually drop onto the wedge ramp. I had this operation confirmed and clearly shown to me by Jason (you'll remember him as the lead London Aire tech). It sounds like a bang which would lead one to the limiter rods or rail adjustment but it actually is a slide drop, not a bang. I do not know what the tolerances are for the drop. Mine is maybe 3/16 inch drop and Jason certified.