RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Front Hub Oil Change on '13 Essex-BIG PROBLEM

Today was Front and Tag Axle Hub Oil Change Day!

This was supposed to be an easy day. Hub oil change...I've done this seveal times on my previous MHs. BUT today it got ugly.

The Tag Hubs were a piece of cake! And I didn't spill any oil anywhere! However the Front Hubs are different. First, there's no rubber plug, just a Hard Plastic plug that I can't remove??? OK, call Spartan and get told that this new plug ISN'T REMOVABLE??? Really? No problem, I just removed the 6 small screws holding the Window in and drained the oil and used a Turkey Baster to finish the task.

Well it turns out that the Drain Plug is this giant Torx plug that can only be removed IF the Wheel is removed???

So I now have no oil in my front hubs and no way to replentish it, AND I can't move the MH due to the lack of oil????

ANY SUGGESTIONS????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #2

Call a tire service to pull the wheel, fill the hub and have him put it back on. Be ready with torx socket.

Are the oil cap bolts drilled thru to the oil area ? If so, fill thru 1 with a tiny hose.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
That's an option, but as a regular service item, having to pull the tires to change the front hub oil, which is a warranty required annual service, seems pretty wrong to me???

What I'm hoping to accomplish tomorrow when I call Spartan Customer Service is to purchase a replacement part that has the original Rubber Plug. Otherwise, this simple task has become very expensive!

Thanks for your reply!
Old 09-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Had an interesting day on the phone with Spartan regarding my inability to refresh the front hub oil on a late model K2 Chassis. No one had heard of there being a problem with changing the oil (yearly as required). I explained that the new Hard Plastic Plug being use is NOT removable AND the very Large Torx Pug can't be removed either due to the lack of clearance caused by the inner edge of the Aluminum Wheel. Consequently the tire has to be removed in order to change this oil.

DO NOT REMOVE THE 6 SMALL SCREWS AROUND THE "WINDOW" BECAUSE THERE IS NO WAY TO REPLACE THE OIL! That was my situation.

After conversations with Spartan, the Front Axle Mfg and Stemco (the Mfg of the Oil Hub), Stemco finally found a solution. They make a replacement "Window Kit" which replaces the clear plastic lens with one that has a rubber plug, so oil can be added to the hub. The Stemco part number is 359-5995

So if you have the Stemco Hub #4046 (stamped on the flange of the Hub AND you have the Hard Plastic Plug, then the above Stemco part is an easy and cheap solution to this problem. Removing 6 small screws removes the outer ring and allows the Window to be removed, along with an inner an outer gasket.

I used Stemco.com to locate the nearby Distributors, one of which had the needed parts.

BTW, Spartan wanted $75 for the replacement Hub Assembly. I was finding these on Ebay for under $20.

Hope this helps!