RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Front speakers from in dash stereo - help

1999 40' Newmar Mountain Aire diesel - recent new owners, Newmar contacted but no avail. They sent what they had which was generic, missing the center speaker and relay wiring, and more for the coax.

Per Newmar this is a safety item to keep people from watching the front TV while driving...not the case here. The front TV has been removed and the front 12vdc in dash stereo only drives the 2 speakers in the back bedroom. The 5.1 stereo in the cabinet runs the 5 speakers from 110vac as long as the ignition switch is off. The Michigan Newmar dealer said that usually the 110v outlet that drives the TV is most commonly switched and that the 12vdc stereo runs to 2 front speakers but that is not the case either because I have removed the 12v stereo and there is nothing hooked to the 2 front outputs and there is not 2 additional speakers behind the front cabinet grills. In the Newmar cataloge they sell a 8 contactor relay for my style coach which is what I'm thinking is used because the 110vac feeding the stereo is not swiched from the ignition switch. Original owners were not tech savy and no help.

Update - only the front center speaker works from the 110v stereo when the ignition is on.

Basically when driving (ignition on) I still wish to listen to the dash stereo thru the front 2 existing speakers that are wired to the cabinet stereo. There are not 2 additional speakers in the front cabinets behind the "black cloth grills"

I found the relay behind the dash stereo and it is switching the relay when the ignition is switched as designed. (pic attached)

But;
1. the other input side of the relay is wired to the 12 pin connector going to the dash radio and not the dashe radios 2 rca front speaker outputs.
2. if I unhook the 4 wires going to the alternate side (with ignition on)of the relay comming from the dash stereo 12 pin connector and connect the 2 front stereo rca out lines to the relay still no sound.
3. if I disconnect the 1 blue wire (noted by a star in the picture) then when playing the cabinet stereo I loose both right speakers.
4. the rear galley speakers are hooked up to the "B" speaker switch vs the 5.1 surround rear channels in the cabinet stereo and the speaker a/b switch works as it should turning off the rear speakers if on "a" only.

Need a wiring diagram as it would seem that the relay is wired to the hot side of all 4 speakers and I can't find the other half of the speaker wires because the cabinet stereo can switch off the rears with the a/b switch but the relay kills all 4 speakers.

Thanks for any help in advance
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv stereo.jpg
Views:	1768
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	15751

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9044.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	15752

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just had someone with same problem in process of finding.
Here is the thread looking for near the end of it your relay will show up not sure it will help but may get something started for you when other chime in.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Original problem was that I could not get any sound to any of the front 4 ceiling speakers from the dash stereo/cd changer/radio with the ignition on or off with the radios fade controls in the middle.

Ok now it works - heres what I found and what I can't explain.

The dash radio is feeding something (thru the 12 pin harness I assume is the pre amp output and/or a amplified output independent of the front speaker rca outs on the back of the dash player) that goes to the relay (4 wires) and eventually gets to the cabinet stereo/and 4 ceiling speakers in the form of 2 rca incomming jacks labeled CD going to the CD input jacks on the cabinet stereo.

With the ignition key on, cabinet stereo on and cd input selected, and dash radio on then the sound will come out of the 2/4 cabinet ceiling speakers depending on the speaker a/b switch. The volume level has to be up (around 1/2 to 2/3) on both stereos to get a decent sound and both will control the resulting volume similar to a master volume.

If both stereos are on and the ignition is turned off (relay changes state as well) then the 4 speakers work only from the cabinet stereo like you would think.

When playing the dash stereo the 4 way fade controls work like you would expect left to right and front to the back speakers in the bedroom.

What I can't explain is now with the cabinet stereo turned off, and the ignition on, that the dash radio now plays through the 2 front ceiling speakers which didn't before and is louder then going thru the cabinet stereo on, with ingition on, and the cabinet stereo set to CD input.

I am not asking for an explaination simply wanted to let everyone know that my system seems to work like I want (and though it should). The only thing I changed was to remove the 4 wires (from the 12 pin harness on the dash radio) from the relay (bottom row of 4 on the RH side of the relay in the original picture) and reinstalled them back on the relay and 1 time selected the cabinet stereo CD input while it was on.

Also there is a set of unused rca jack cables that go from the front tv opening to the area behind the cabinet stereo which would have been for the TV to go to the stereo if in fact the tv would have had aux outputs for sound but it didn't and the TV was removed by the previous owners - FYI.

I'm happy now.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just curious when you look at wiring into your relay there is print on the covering of wiring.
When I redirected the FAD controls for kitchen speakers from the rear bedroom speakers I found all the wiring up in the over head venting system fan motor housing.

All the print on wires helped in tracing the speaker leads to bedroom and was able to change the FAD control setup to control the kitchen speakers.
Could now adjust everything up front off the radio.
Glad you can now enjoy your sound system.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
No speaker prints avail for a 1999 Mountain Aire per Newmar.

My OH fan is behind the right side overhead compartment behind the control panel for switches, thermostat, level indicators, battery disconnects etc etc. Many many many wires all over this bus as i have every option they offered including a security system that disables the coach and even pages you after a breach. Motion sensors, impact sensors, glass breakage sensors, reed switch sensors, wireless sensors..cd changer, satellite dish and controller, DVD player, VCR player, 5.1 stereo, solar, CB, howard power center steering, HWH, Banks...etc. I hope it never needs service.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a similar situation In my coach the dash radio feeds a high power amplifier (12 volt type) that via the relays feeds only the front speakers.. However these speakers are very poorly placed for listening to radio in cockpit. There is no evidence of any other speakers attached.

When I get ye-old-round-tuit I will add a pair of speakers up front, Not quite sure just where I'll put 'em but they will be up front.

these will either be driven by the rear speaker out on the dash radio directly or by a 2nd 12 volt power amp.. I'm leaning toward direct drive.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar has no wiring prints that I have seen available, what I was alluding to was the wires themselves have print on them as to where they go or are coming from.
Like "LRB SPK R" as left rear bedroom right hand speaker.
All those wires you see hanging out are speaker wires, front clearence lights, lighting wires etc,etc.

Tags
dash