Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2021, 04:45 PM   #29

Blowout service with Tyrons

The dealer (General RV) talked me into putting Tyron's on the steer wheels. Anyone have experience with getting repairs on the road? I have the whole Tyron tool kit but haven't studied it to see what's involved. Hoping that if I have a blowout that Coachnet will connect with someone who knows how to deal with the Tyrons.
Visionquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2021, 04:46 PM   #30

Cost Recovery

It was good that there were no issues, but there are a few things to remember:

1 All contractors have indemnity clauses in their contracts to hold the owner or State blameless. What this means is that they have insurance to cover the cost of vehicles that are damaged on their work site.

2. The responsibility includes the travel portion of the roadway.

3. The contractor should have a sign before entering the site to identify them for this reason. If not, the State website should identify the contractor working in the area.

4 Claims should be routed through the clerks office of the State mentioning the location, time and contractor along with the cost of the damage. They will forward to the contractor for resolution.

5 The contractor may initially deny the claim, but if you keep pushing through the clerks office, they will have no choice but to settle or go to court. The lack of response to legitimate claims affects their ability to bid on other projects so for a thousand +/- they will likely settle with you.

6 The attached screenshot shows the failing joint that caused the damage. So this should be a no brainer to recover all of your reasonable costs.

7 Be patient as it will likely take anywhere from a month to a year to recover your costs, but it is worth a few letters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot .jpg
Views:	37
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	321692  
crazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post

"Any tire known or suspected of being operated at 80 percent or less of normal operating inflation pressure and/or overloaded could possibly have permanent sidewall structural damage (steel cord fatigue)."

https://techtirerepairs.com/content/...r-Ruptures.pdf
Be careful about confusing "normal operating" inflation pressure with "maximum" inflation pressure. I drive a Ford F350 diesel dually with Michelin tires that recommends 80psi maximum, but when I'm not towing, with little if anything in the truck bed, Michelin recommends 35-40psi, which is well below 80% of maximum
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #32

Wow! You were so lucky that the Jersey barriers ended shortly after the blowout. So many times, we seem to be driving next to them barriers for miles and miles. Glad y'all are safe and things worked out so well for you.
Joe_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:21 PM   #33
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylegs View Post
It was good that there were no issues, but there are a few things to remember:

1 All contractors have indemnity clauses in their contracts to hold the owner or State blameless. What this means is that they have insurance to cover the cost of vehicles that are damaged on their work site.

2. The responsibility includes the travel portion of the roadway.

3. The contractor should have a sign before entering the site to identify them for this reason. If not, the State website should identify the contractor working in the area.

4 Claims should be routed through the clerks office of the State mentioning the location, time and contractor along with the cost of the damage. They will forward to the contractor for resolution.

5 The contractor may initially deny the claim, but if you keep pushing through the clerks office, they will have no choice but to settle or go to court. The lack of response to legitimate claims affects their ability to bid on other projects so for a thousand +/- they will likely settle with you.

6 The attached screenshot shows the failing joint that caused the damage. So this should be a no brainer to recover all of your reasonable costs.

7 Be patient as it will likely take anywhere from a month to a year to recover your costs, but it is worth a few letters.
I can see that you are correct as to the time of the blowout. Could that small crack in the road be enough to cause the problem?
Old 03-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #34

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is WHY I RECOMMEND replacement of BOTH tires FOLLOWING A dually or tandem axle rolling blowout.... have read too, too many owners fix a blowout, only to have the 2nd mating tire blowout within 50-100-mile.... which then also damages the NEW tire... CAUSE= ROLLING OVERLOAD= INTERNAL SIDEWALL DAMAGE= ZIPPER RUPTURE.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:44 PM   #35

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
After 25 years of RVing I got my first tire blowout today. I was going 47 mph through a construction zone. In the video linked below, shortly after I pass the excavator, you can see the slight jerk. There was a very loud explosion and then my tire pressure monitor started beeping. The coach is about 4 1/2 years old with 43,000 miles on it. The tires are in good condition at about 5 years old. I was able to get off the road quick with no rim damage. I have Coachnet for road service. Called them at 11:30, they brought me a new tire and I was back on the road by 1:12 PM. There is no sound because I turned the sound recorder off on my dash cam after a previous incident of cursing when a rock hit my windshield.

There was some very minor damage. The wires were tore off the front hydraulic jack. The side panel pulled through a screw but I was able to pop it back on and fastened it with duct tape until we got to our destination.

I recall Ken Sherwin mentioning that comfort driving helps with a blowout, but the company couldn't say anything officially. While I wasn't going very fast and the tire stayed on the rim, I felt very little in the steering. You can see that in the attached link to the dash cam video.

The tech changing the tire said it looked like there may have been some previous damage to the inside of the tire. Not sure how he could tell with the damage from driving on the flat. I do not recall hitting anything and there was no evidence in the dash cam video of anything on the road except some normal sized potholes.

Very thankful today that this wasn't more serious. I was about 30 minutes from the twisty mountain roads entering Mountain Falls Resort in North Carolina.

https://youtu.be/6U-PpA_1G4Q

Definately a "Zipper" failure. No mention of a TPMS which would probably have warned of the slow leak that lead to the Zipper.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:46 PM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Once again glad everyone is ok and damage was minimal. Couple questions from all comments. We’re going FT this year so, Dash Cams suggestions? Hadn’t thought of them before but now it’s on my lost. Been on the fence about Road Service and really been leaning towards CoachNet. Just got what I was looking for. Thanks all
SharonandRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:56 PM   #37

Blow outs are never any fun. We have had 2 in 13 years of driving RVs from one side of the country to the other. One at 65mph - wife driving. She did great, stayed off the foot brake and wrestled it to the shoulder with no damage. Other was a rear tire on a different coach, and again very little damage - mostly cosmetic to the tow vehicle. Tire pressure was per recommended levels in both cases. First tire was 1 year old and 5 years for second. Sometimes stuff just happens. Just know what to do when it does.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:25 PM   #38

In our 2018 Vista we had a front tire blowout at about 3K miles, Beaumont TX on a bridge, Interstate 60mph, with trucks blowing by.
There was an exit right after the bridge!
The tire came off the rim, which was damaged and we called the Good Sam membership number, free with our new RV. A guy came out with a new $600 tire, hammered the rim back, rotated it o the back or something.
We hit potholes coming out of Galveston. As new RV people we were very grateful not to lose control, sideswipe a semi and end up flipped over and on fire.
sandmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:17 PM   #39

for your consideration

The actions taken to handle a blowout seem counterintuitive to most people.

Sundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:35 PM   #40

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
After 25 years of RVing I got my first tire blowout today. I was going 47 mph through a construction zone. In the video linked below, shortly after I pass the excavator, you can see the slight jerk. There was a very loud explosion and then my tire pressure monitor started beeping. The coach is about 4 1/2 years old with 43,000 miles on it. The tires are in good condition at about 5 years old. I was able to get off the road quick with no rim damage. I have Coachnet for road service. Called them at 11:30, they brought me a new tire and I was back on the road by 1:12 PM. There is no sound because I turned the sound recorder off on my dash cam after a previous incident of cursing when a rock hit my windshield.

There was some very minor damage. The wires were tore off the front hydraulic jack. The side panel pulled through a screw but I was able to pop it back on and fastened it with duct tape until we got to our destination.

I recall Ken Sherwin mentioning that comfort driving helps with a blowout, but the company couldn't say anything officially. While I wasn't going very fast and the tire stayed on the rim, I felt very little in the steering. You can see that in the attached link to the dash cam video.

The tech changing the tire said it looked like there may have been some previous damage to the inside of the tire. Not sure how he could tell with the damage from driving on the flat. I do not recall hitting anything and there was no evidence in the dash cam video of anything on the road except some normal sized potholes.

Very thankful today that this wasn't more serious. I was about 30 minutes from the twisty mountain roads entering Mountain Falls Resort in North Carolina.

https://youtu.be/6U-PpA_1G4Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Definately a "Zipper" failure. No mention of a TPMS which would probably have warned of the slow leak that lead to the Zipper.
Just a FYI.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:06 AM   #41

Quote:
We were shopping early in 2016 but decided to wait for a 2017 because of the axle and full wall slide issues. We had it weighed three times, last time at Hoots in Dallas. Each time we were substantially under weight. The 4018 does have a smaller tire than your coach.

There doesn't appear to be any real damage. I just need to splice three wires and add another screw to a side panel. Need to call to see if we can get into Gaffney in May and shopping for a tire for the other side.
I read that you are certain about your coach weight, but just to be clear, the coach weight is not the issue, its the axle weight and in particular the weight on that wheel/tyre? Did you check this too?
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:12 AM   #42
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
I read that you are certain about your coach weight, but just to be clear, the coach weight is not the issue, its the axle weight and in particular the weight on that wheel/tyre? Did you check this too?
Yes, both Hoots and Escapees do individual wheel weights. I will get it weighed again at the Hoots rally this fall, if it is offered.

Tags
tire