Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2021, 04:21 AM   #1
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Front Tire Blowout

After 25 years of RVing I got my first tire blowout today. I was going 47 mph through a construction zone. In the video linked below, shortly after I pass the excavator, you can see the slight jerk. There was a very loud explosion and then my tire pressure monitor started beeping. The coach is about 4 1/2 years old with 43,000 miles on it. The tires are in good condition at about 5 years old. I was able to get off the road quick with no rim damage. I have Coachnet for road service. Called them at 11:30, they brought me a new tire and I was back on the road by 1:12 PM. There is no sound because I turned the sound recorder off on my dash cam after a previous incident of cursing when a rock hit my windshield.

There was some very minor damage. The wires were tore off the front hydraulic jack. The side panel pulled through a screw but I was able to pop it back on and fastened it with duct tape until we got to our destination.

I recall Ken Sherwin mentioning that comfort driving helps with a blowout, but the company couldn't say anything officially. While I wasn't going very fast and the tire stayed on the rim, I felt very little in the steering. You can see that in the attached link to the dash cam video.

The tech changing the tire said it looked like there may have been some previous damage to the inside of the tire. Not sure how he could tell with the damage from driving on the flat. I do not recall hitting anything and there was no evidence in the dash cam video of anything on the road except some normal sized potholes.

Very thankful today that this wasn't more serious. I was about 30 minutes from the twisty mountain roads entering Mountain Falls Resort in North Carolina.

https://youtu.be/6U-PpA_1G4Q
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7609 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	320625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7608.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	393.3 KB
ID:	320626  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7607.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	320627  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2021, 04:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
That may be the most docile blowout I have seen. I’m happy it worked out for you. There are a lot of good things happening in this instance, including the availability of a pullout area in a construction zone.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:56 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Only as strong as the weakest link, and that tire was the weakest link. Glad you got through it as well as you did!
Old 03-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #4

Zipper Failure

By your picture, I believe the tire tech was 100% right. The type of tire failure you experienced is colloquially referred to as a zipper failure. The reason for these types of failures are listed in this short article, from the Rubber Manufactures Association.

The part of the article which explains the causality.

"Permanent damage due to operating a tire underinflated and/or overloaded cannot always be detected."

"Any tire known or suspected of being operated at 80 percent or less of normal operating inflation pressure and/or overloaded could possibly have permanent sidewall structural damage (steel cord fatigue)."

https://techtirerepairs.com/content/...r-Ruptures.pdf
Old 03-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
Thank you! There is some good information on the page. I had my coach weighed three times and always run at 5 pounds over recommended pressure. The tech pointed to a mark on the tire. I will look closer at the picture. There was damage from running flat, so I didn't look closely at what he saw.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #6

ptw- Having had 5 blowouts on coach tires, that is a classic sidewall zipper rip blowout. This is caused by excess fatigue of the sidewall of the tire at highway speeds. There are 2 possible causes of this failure mode- assuming your tire was heavy enough for the load you're carrying- this can be checked by weighing each wheel- adding 10% safety factor and looking up in the tire manufactures application guide.

Reason 1) tire was under inflated for load you were carrying- what cold PSI was it inflated to?
Reason 2) Tire was not heavy enough- heavier ply- for the load you're carrying. The front steer axle tires on a heavy coach should by at least a load range J (20 ply) tire and preferably a load range L (24 ply) tire. What ply was this tire?
Reason 3) Tire was > 9 years old & was beginning to 'dry rot'

Glad you were able to control the coach & only minor damage was done.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #7
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
ptw- Having had 5 blowouts on coach tires, that is a classic sidewall zipper rip blowout. This is caused by excess fatigue of the sidewall of the tire at highway speeds. There are 2 possible causes of this failure mode- assuming your tire was heavy enough for the load you're carrying- this can be checked by weighing each wheel- adding 10% safety factor and looking up in the tire manufactures application guide.

Reason 1) tire was under inflated for load you were carrying- what cold PSI was it inflated to?
Reason 2) Tire was not heavy enough- heavier ply- for the load you're carrying. The front steer axle tires on a heavy coach should by at least a load range J (20 ply) tire and preferably a load range L (24 ply) tire. What ply was this tire?
Reason 3) Tire was > 9 years old & was beginning to 'dry rot'

Glad you were able to control the coach & only minor damage was done.

Happy Trails
Thank you Bill. I had the coach weighed three times. I am at 115 lbs, which is 5 lbs above what Michelin recommends for the weight and the tires are just under 5 years. They are the original tires.

I am going to change the other front tire.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You're post brought up a few interesting things. First.....the possibility that Comfort Steer may have mitigated some of the push/pull of a blowout. Second, it was nice to hear that CoachNet was able to locate a tire and in such a timely manner.

Lastly, I also run a dash cam, but leave the sound on. Often I see an idiot approaching from the rear and driving crazy or about to attempt to merge when there is no room. The camera can't see this until they're in front of the coach. For that reason, I've learned/trained myself to vocalize any unusual driving, so the dash cam hears what's going on before it actually sees the knucklehead.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've only had one blow out and it was on a drive axle. Coachnet came through very fast and I was back on the road in less then two hours. Being afraid of a steer tire blowout, even with Comfort Drive, I have Tyron bands on those two tires. Hopefully they would minimize a catastrophic event.

Like Dutch Star Don I leave the volume on the dash cam turned on for the same reason he does.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #10

This is a strong statement for comfort drive. I know Ken couldnít comment when asked about a blowout situation. This story lays it out pretty well that the intervention of comfort drive made it a much safer event
zman62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:26 PM   #11

Driving up I-95 in Georgia today, an 18 wheeler blew his left front tire right in front of me. He veered halfway in to the next lane before gaining control and was able to pull over to the shoulder. Bits of the tire were all over the highway and as I passed him I could see nothing left on the rim. Nice to hear that comfort drive may deliver a better experience.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:56 PM   #12

Ptw
Thanks for sharing the Comfort Drive part of your experience. Just curious what CD setting you normally run at or this occurred at?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:07 AM   #13
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Ptw
Thanks for sharing the Comfort Drive part of your experience. Just curious what CD setting you normally run at or this occurred at?
I keep it between 4 and 5.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #14

In case anybody is concerned about what CD setting would best mitigate an event like this, it is not an issue at all. As long as the abnormal steering loads are with the controllability range, the CD will maintain its behavior regardless of setting. If the abnormal loads are too high, the loads will exceed the capability of the CD, again regardless of setting. In other words, continue to set it where it is comfortable for you and feel free to change it whenever you want to for whatever reason you want to.

Tags
tire