Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Front tire cupping on Kountry Star

Just got back from a 3000 mi. trip with my 2003 3905 Kountry Star. My right front tire is starting to cup, on the inside of the tire on just 1/2 of the circumference. Is this balance, alignment, shocks ?. I can't seem to get a definitive answer from anyone I contact. I don't want to go on a goose chase, just get it fixed, first visit. Any help from you Forum experts would be great. My local Newmar dealer sends all this out to a vendor so they have been no help in diagnosis..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi Cal,

Cupping can be caused by tire balance and wheel out of round. I was in AK and lost a tire weight that was on my right front tire and it caused cupping. It was so bad I had to have tire replaced as the cupping will not go away after you have tire balanced. I had the other front tire checked and it was out of balance but because of steel wheel being out of round.

Interestingly I learned that is why 18 wheelers use aluminum wheels on their front wheels as they never get out of round.

Hope this solves your problem get them balanced and preferrably while wheel is on vehicle.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #3

I would start with balance.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
If the tires are the same, move it to the rear and move a rear forward. The cup will stop on the back.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi calhyatt,
My coach is similar to yours. Do what has been previously posted. In addition, if you still have Bilstein shocks, get rid of them. Put Koni shocks on the front. If you have the $s put them on the rear also. A front end alignment would put icing on the cake.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi Cal,

Cupping can be caused by tire balance and wheel out of round. I was in AK and lost a tire weight that was on my right front tire and it caused cupping. It was so bad I had to have tire replaced as the cupping will not go away after you have tire balanced. I had the other front tire checked and it was out of balance but because of steel wheel being out of round.

Interestingly I learned that is why 18 wheelers use aluminum wheels on their front wheels as they never get out of round.

Hope this solves your problem get them balanced and preferrably while wheel is on vehicle.

Thank you for your advise on my tire cupping problem. I will now go to a reputable truck tire store and do as suggested.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
If the tires are the same, move it to the rear and move a rear forward. The cup will stop on the back.
Hopefully the front tire is in good enough shape to move it to another position. Thanks for the advise.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Cupping can also be caused by under inflation and has always been the problem for me. Never on my RV though, I'm a stickler for tire pressure there
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi calhyatt,
My coach is similar to yours. Do what has been previously posted. In addition, if you still have Bilstein shocks, get rid of them. Put Koni shocks on the front. If you have the $s put them on the rear also. A front end alignment would put icing on the cake.
Thanks for your advise Gary. Getting things looked at tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Got the front end checked today. There was a toe out condition but not much. All back to factory now.. The main reason for the cupping was the shocks on that wheel. It is shot. Bushings bad, possible leaking. Moved some tires around and got alignment and shocks. Tires re-balanced. All is well. Thank all of your for your advise and help..