RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #1

Front Window Cleaning

Spring is here...well almost. I am using the warm weather to get the unit ready to hit the road.

What procedures and products do you use to clean your windshield inside and outside? Especially inside.

Phil

aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I went to my local NAPA dealer and bought a bug sponge/squeegee and a 6 foot wooden pole. You can pay more and get an aluminum extending pole but I find the cheaper wooden one does fine.

I just spray Windex on the "bug sponge" for the outside and use paper towels and Windex on the inside.

I also use Rainex window washer fluid in my washer. I feel it is definitely worth the $3/gallon as it coats the windshield with Rainex.

All_Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

I uses 'cleaning vinegar', not to be confused with regular vinegar. Lowes has it for .99 cents a half gallon. Does a great job and has an added benefit of smelling like french fries while you are doing the windows.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #4

Instead of using paper towels, use (if you can find it) print newspaper and any glass cleaner. It does a REAL good job, not sure if the ink on the newspaper helps, but no streaks and clean as all get out!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
I uses 'cleaning vinegar', not to be confused with regular vinegar. Lowes has it for .99 cents a half gallon. Does a great job and has an added benefit of smelling like french fries while you are doing the windows.
I just found this stuff and have no idea why it works so well. I put about a half cup in a gallon of warm water. I have tried regular white vinegar many times over the years and was not happy with it. Maybe my ratio was off.

A recent demonstration on cleaning suggested regular white vinegar at a ratio of 1/3 . I have not tried that yet and when I do use vinegar I will try distilled water as well.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Someone here talked about using wet BOUNCE DRYER SHEETS but I have not tried it yet.
I think he said to wipe it on & wait a few minutes, then wash it off with.

It is listed on the net as 1 of 14 uses for Dryer Sheets;
5. Scrub bugs off your windshield.
Dryer sheets do an incredible job of loosening stuck-on bugs. Add water and use a dryer sheet like a sponge.

So what is in dryer sheets?
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:21 AM   #7

Invisible Glass and new micro fiber towels.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Invisible Glass here but with a caveat. If you read the can, it states that it is not a cleaner but a polish. You still need to clean the windshield first then apply the Invisible Glass. It takes several coats too.

Great for detailing but not useful for a quick clean. Cleaning these giant windshields can be a challenge for my short self.
Charlie and Martha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #9

If you have water stains that are hard to remove try Glass Cooktop Cleaner. Then use Hot Sauce for on going maintenance.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Invisible Glass and new micro fiber towels.
X2
Also 0000 steel wool for black streaks and stubborn bugs.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #11

The best I've found for the inside of the windshield is Sprayway glass cleaner. It's ammonia free and leaves no streaks. For the outside, the process includes a pre-wax cleaner, buffing with my orbital buffer, then a coat of automotive wax, then buffing that coat. Rain drops beads off quickly when driving 55-65 mph. Bugs clean off the glass with very little effort. I've found waxing the outside of the windshield works much longer than using Rain-X or similar products.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I just found this stuff and have no idea why it works so well. I put about a half cup in a gallon of warm water. I have tried regular white vinegar many times over the years and was not happy with it. Maybe my ratio was off.

A recent demonstration on cleaning suggested regular white vinegar at a ratio of 1/3 . I have not tried that yet and when I do use vinegar I will try distilled water as well.
The only difference between distilled vinegar and cleaning vinegar is the acidic level. Regular is 5%, cleaning 6, so the cleaning is 20% stronger. So you'd get the same results by just increasing the amount of distilled vinegar in the solution.
tyoneonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #13

Unbelievable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtspence View Post
X2
Also 0000 steel wool for black streaks and stubborn bugs.
I had never considered fine (000) steel wool as a window cleaning option until a couple of years ago. However, since using steel wool as my only window cleaning product (beside water) my windows have been very clean ever since.

This may be counter intuitive, but using steel wool on a very dry window will clean it like new. It removes everything without scratching the glass (also works on chrome). Bugs, water drops, tree residue and anything else will come right off under the steel wool. Then I treat it with Rain-X. After that most stuff will wash off with water. If not then a little steel wool on the dry glass will take care of it.

It doesn't make sense, but give it a try.
rvnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We use Kaboom (in the purple spray can), for cleaning it works great. Then treat he windows with Rejex. We use it on the entire front of the coach and like Rain-Ex it works great but lasts longer. Same for the inside except no Rejex.

Dryer sheets work good on bugs.

Tags
window