Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Front Windshield Fogging and Wet

Newmar Newbies here...we have a new 2018 Dutch Star and when we finally got into to some colder weather we noticed that the windshield really fogged up and then condensed turning to running water at times. I'm guessing that just like driving in a car in the winter when you are not running the AC with the defroster, you are not removing any moisture from the air. Most all of the other windows are double paned so they stay nice and dry.
Has anyone come up with a fix other than laying a towel on the dash and then using a squeegee upon departure? Our exterior MagneShade covers did not seem to help much, but it kept the Ice off of things
gkonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Often, you naturally want to keep everything closed up tight in cold weather to keep the heat in, but this can cause the issue you're having. Try opening a window or roof vent a little and you'll probably resolve your issue. The Magneshade is probably compounding the issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Because your coach is so well insulated and tight any moisture in the coach is not going to easily migrate out. The front glass is cold because of it being single pane and will condense that moisture. The real issue is that you have too much moisture in your coach. Ventilate the living space well when cooking and showering. Prolonged excessive moisture will damage your coach and cause mold issues where you can't see it until the damage is done.
Tom
Old 10-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #4
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
You can crack the mid-bath vent slightly if it is not too cold out.

We have a small dehumidifier we take with us if out more than a few weeks. Works great at keeping the correct humidity in the coach.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At night we run the roof exhaust vent fan in the rear of our coach and keep a window cracked at the front of the coach otherwise we run into the same condition.

For sure it gets cold but first one up in the morning turns on the furnace and starts the two electric heaters until it warms up.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we use a small ceramic electric heater that fits great on the dash area and sort of aim it to flow the warm air across the window.
makes a huge difference,

this is not a newmar coach, but equally applies to ours
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We have the same problem when it's cold out. I do put rolled towels across at the bottom where the windshield meets the dash. I can easily throw them in the dryer when they get wet then put them back once dry. I keep a small desk fan on the dash blowing at the windshield for air flow. I always use the exhaust fans (with a window cracked open) after showering or cooking. We'll run the heat pumps (which remove moisture) until it gets below 38, when they become ineffective. I've also got a compact dehumidifier that sits on the kitchen counter I can bring out if needed.

You have to keep the humidity manageable.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:34 AM   #8

Lori, what brand and model dehumidifier do you use?
thanks
Ernie
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #9

Ours does the exact same thing when the temps get cold at night. If you really don't want it fogged up in the morning try rolling both windshield shades up just before retiring for the night.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie. View Post
Lori, what brand and model dehumidifier do you use?
thanks
Ernie
Eva-Dry

Lori-
Old 10-17-2018, 11:38 PM   #11
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We have the same problem when it's cold out. I do put rolled towels across at the bottom where the windshield meets the dash. I can easily throw them in the dryer when they get wet then put them back once dry. I keep a small desk fan on the dash blowing at the windshield for air flow. I always use the exhaust fans (with a window cracked open) after showering or cooking. We'll run the heat pumps (which remove moisture) until it gets below 38, when they become ineffective. I've also got a compact dehumidifier that sits on the kitchen counter I can bring out if needed.

You have to keep the humidity manageable.

Lori-
I don't think that heat pumps remove moisture from inside the coach. Air conditioners do because the coach air passes over the cold evaporator coils & produce condensation by removing water from the air. When in heat pump mode those internal coils are now hot & do not produce condensation from the coach air.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
I don't think that heat pumps remove moisture from inside the coach. ...
With all due respect, they do remove humidity. ARTICLE

They aren't as efficient as a large heat pump for a house is, but they do remove humidity.

Lori-
Old 10-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Easy fix. Open the front windshield shade and turn on one or both overheard window fans facing the glass. In 1/2 hour it's clear.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I don't put our windshield MCD shade down all the way at night, leave it up off the dash ~inch. With the small, quiet desktop fan I keep on the dash (the coach windshield fans are a bit noisy) facing the windshield, we rarely have condensation issues.

I have more problems with the bathroom mirrors fogging up during showers even with the shaving cream remedy...but even those clear up within 5 min using the exhaust fan.

Lori-

Tags
windshield