Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2021, 06:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
tomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 228
Fuel Fill Trick / Solution for Nozzle to Stay Put?

The angle of the fill tube does not support a regular sized diesel pump nozzle properly, and it will "pop out" a few inches if I let it rest without holding it. From there, it seems like it wants to come all the way out. Pain in the butt when you are filling 25-50-75 gallons.

Any suggestions?
__________________
______________________
2021 Newmar Ventana 3412
2020 Rockwood GeoPro G19FBS
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 411
It amazes me that a manufacturer of motorhomes can't design a fill tube that allows truck fueling nozzles to stay in the tube while filling without spewing fuel all over the place. On my coach, I get a nice dose of diesel fuel every time I open the fuel cap.


My other motorhome from a different manufacturer had an issue with fuel spewing out while filling too. On my coach there are a couple of problems with filling. One is just like yours with the fuel nozzle not staying put in the fill tube.



Other issues are:


The very picky placement of the fuel nozzle to allow fuel to flow into the tank without tripping the auto-shutoff'


Getting a fuel bath because the fuel nozzle won't stay in the correct position and the fuel blows back on me.


Having fuel leak out of the filler tube because the angle of the fill tube is not correct to allow the cap to fully seal the fill tube and fuel collects inside the cap or runs down the side of the coach.




The only way I have found to fill the tank at a truck stop is to manually hold the filler nozzle by hand in just the right spot to get a decent flow of fuel without it cutting off or blowing back.
__________________
2020 Newmar New Aire 3543
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
tomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
It amazes me that a manufacturer of motorhomes can't design a fill tube that allows truck fueling nozzles to stay in the tube while filling without spewing fuel all over the place. On my coach, I get a nice dose of diesel fuel every time I open the fuel cap.


My other motorhome from a different manufacturer had an issue with fuel spewing out while filling too. On my coach there are a couple of problems with filling. One is just like yours with the fuel nozzle not staying put in the fill tube.



Other issues are:


The very picky placement of the fuel nozzle to allow fuel to flow into the tank without tripping the auto-shutoff'


Getting a fuel bath because the fuel nozzle won't stay in the correct position and the fuel blows back on me.


Having fuel leak out of the filler tube because the angle of the fill tube is not correct to allow the cap to fully seal the fill tube and fuel collects inside the cap or runs down the side of the coach.




The only way I have found to fill the tank at a truck stop is to manually hold the filler nozzle by hand in just the right spot to get a decent flow of fuel without it cutting off or blowing back.
I hear ya! I haven't fueled at a truck pump yet - I meant a regular gas station pump. I was hoping the larger diameter truck stop pumps would fit and hold better in the fill tube. I guess not.
__________________
______________________
2021 Newmar Ventana 3412
2020 Rockwood GeoPro G19FBS
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
redbaron73's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,313
Blog Entries: 4
You need to insert the pump nozzle like a gangster.

You've seen how gangsters hold their glock sideways? Do the same with the nozzle. It will then find a hold as it tries to right itself and work with no problem.
__________________
2022 London Aire 4551 * 2022 GD Imagine 2800BH * 2021 RAM 3500 DRW * 2020 Wrangler
HAM: WD4LOW NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original)
Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
tomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
You need to insert the pump nozzle like a gangster.

You've seen how gangsters hold their glock sideways? Do the same with the nozzle. It will then find a hold as it tries to right itself and work with no problem.
Perfect. I will definitely give that a try.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:08 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 18,947
I put the smaller nozzles in sideways when necessary and on occasion, upside down. I find the large truck stop nozzles can also be problematic. You can only put them in one way, you have to make sure it's in there just right. Doing so, makes it hard to remove. The coils on the pump filler neck get hung up.

Lastly, the trip gauge on the dash, is fairly accurate as to how many gallons I take. My VMSpc program is usually within a gallon. When I get within two gallons of being full, it looks funny, but I put my ear down by the nozzle. I can hear the fuel gurgle, just about a half gallon before the pump will shut off and spit fuel out. As soon as I hear it gurgle, I stop and remove the nozzle. This prevents any spills, especially on the truck pumps.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (Freightliner)
2019 Ford Raptor
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:45 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
JFXG's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today? Clayton, North Carolina
Posts: 4,836
Same filler tube angle problem in my Ď02 DS. I use truck stops almost exclusively. I insert the nozzle upside down, with the hose set or curled in such a way that the nozzle handle is leaning forward and supported by the fuel filler door. Set the flow to high speed, then reduce to slow speed when Iím within about 5 gal of shutoff. No backsplash problems.
__________________
John, Diane, and Lincoln, the guard cat. RVM103
Fulltimers since June 2012
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126,
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:00 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
JerryP's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 370
Tiffin RED 33AA Fueling

My Tiffin RED 33AA fuel filler tube works just fine. I go the truck stop insert the large nozzle and pull the handle. While it fills up my tank I wash the windshield. I usually get around 50 gallons, so when it gets to 40 I go back to the handle to manage the last 10 gallons. I usually slow the flow a little for the last few.

Hope this doesn't change. I have only had the coach for about 5000 miles. I might need to watch it more closely. Hate to have it fall out.

Regards, Jerry
__________________
2020 Tiffin 33AA - 2004 Toyota Tacoma, Options: Roadmaster Sterling Tow bar, RVIbrake2
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 86
On my KS ,the filler tube on the MH looks to be flat. With the high rate of fuel the truck pumps put out, the flatness of the filler tube is my problem. When filling I just barely hold the nozzle on, when I here it gurgling I shut if off for a little bit to let the foam/bubbling go away then put more fuel in.

I have issues with the DEF pump overflowing my tank

I am new to this and am learner. On the job training
__________________
2020 Kountry Star 3412, 2021 Gladitor w/ Soft Topper, 1970 Jeep CJ5 ( Restoring)
Steve70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Rev. Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 666
I wonder if this issue is "chassis" related. I haven't had a problem filling our Spartan chassis RV yet but I also listen for the sound to change as it fills and slow down the flow as it nears full. I was a "pump jockey" early in my life and that's where I learned to do that. Blow back is usually venting related. I know a couple guys with dual fills who open the oft side when filling.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
The angle of the fill tube does not support a regular sized diesel pump nozzle properly, and it will "pop out" a few inches if I let it rest without holding it. From there, it seems like it wants to come all the way out. Pain in the butt when you are filling 25-50-75 gallons.

Any suggestions?
I have the same issue when I fill my coach at a Shell station near my home. The "regular size" diesel pump nozzle will not stay in the fill tube so I just hold the pump nozzle at the hoze to nozzle connection (much more comfortable that holding at the "handle" area).

At truck stops, the larger, fast flow rate pump nozzles stay in the fill tube. My problem is stopping flow as my fuel tank nears being full. If I rely on the "auto shutoff" of the truck stop pump nozzle, I get a lot of diesel "blow back" from the fill tube just as the pump nozzle shuts off. When my fuel tank is ~90% full, I'll grab the truck stop pump nozzle, stop flow and then manually control a trickle flow until my fuel tank is full.

For reference, my Ventana LE 4037 is constructed on a single rear axle Freightliner XCR chassis.
__________________
Mike & Cindy in Katy, TX
2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4037
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
BillW1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 121
Gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
You need to insert the pump nozzle like a gangster.

You've seen how gangsters hold their glock sideways? Do the same with the nozzle. It will then find a hold as it tries to right itself and work with no problem.

I love the way you put that. That's what I do and it works.
__________________
2019 New Aire 3343
Bill
BillW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I wonder if this issue is "chassis" related. I haven't had a problem filling our Spartan chassis RV yet but I also listen for the sound to change as it fills and slow down the flow as it nears full. I was a "pump jockey" early in my life and that's where I learned to do that. Blow back is usually venting related. I know a couple guys with dual fills who open the oft side when filling.

Yo guys that listen for the sound to change must not use the same truck stops I use. I always seem to have trucks on either side of me running their engines while they fill up. I can't hear anything except their engines and air compressors.
__________________
2020 Newmar New Aire 3543
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sanitizing - Trick for Getting Bleach Solution in Tank Shutterbug57 Tiffin Owner's Forum 16 04-01-2020 06:34 AM
Looking to buy a good Gps that I can put put data in for moterhome and is easy to use mike78 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 36 11-12-2017 06:03 PM
Fuel Filters to fill or not to fill? moparglley Monaco Owner's Forum 26 05-01-2017 11:40 AM
Fuel Filler Nozzle Navy Flier Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 6 01-24-2006 06:06 AM
Nozzle Condom or Nozzle Mit? sandjunkie Toy Haulers Discussion 17 09-25-2005 04:13 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.