Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #1

Fuel Fill Trick / Solution for Nozzle to Stay Put?

The angle of the fill tube does not support a regular sized diesel pump nozzle properly, and it will "pop out" a few inches if I let it rest without holding it. From there, it seems like it wants to come all the way out. Pain in the butt when you are filling 25-50-75 gallons.

Any suggestions?
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It amazes me that a manufacturer of motorhomes can't design a fill tube that allows truck fueling nozzles to stay in the tube while filling without spewing fuel all over the place. On my coach, I get a nice dose of diesel fuel every time I open the fuel cap.

My other motorhome from a different manufacturer had an issue with fuel spewing out while filling too. On my coach there are a couple of problems with filling. One is just like yours with the fuel nozzle not staying put in the fill tube.

Other issues are:

The very picky placement of the fuel nozzle to allow fuel to flow into the tank without tripping the auto-shutoff'

Getting a fuel bath because the fuel nozzle won't stay in the correct position and the fuel blows back on me.

Having fuel leak out of the filler tube because the angle of the fill tube is not correct to allow the cap to fully seal the fill tube and fuel collects inside the cap or runs down the side of the coach.

The only way I have found to fill the tank at a truck stop is to manually hold the filler nozzle by hand in just the right spot to get a decent flow of fuel without it cutting off or blowing back.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
It amazes me that a manufacturer of motorhomes can't design a fill tube that allows truck fueling nozzles to stay in the tube while filling without spewing fuel all over the place. On my coach, I get a nice dose of diesel fuel every time I open the fuel cap.

My other motorhome from a different manufacturer had an issue with fuel spewing out while filling too. On my coach there are a couple of problems with filling. One is just like yours with the fuel nozzle not staying put in the fill tube.

Other issues are:

The very picky placement of the fuel nozzle to allow fuel to flow into the tank without tripping the auto-shutoff'

Getting a fuel bath because the fuel nozzle won't stay in the correct position and the fuel blows back on me.

Having fuel leak out of the filler tube because the angle of the fill tube is not correct to allow the cap to fully seal the fill tube and fuel collects inside the cap or runs down the side of the coach.

The only way I have found to fill the tank at a truck stop is to manually hold the filler nozzle by hand in just the right spot to get a decent flow of fuel without it cutting off or blowing back.
I hear ya! I haven't fueled at a truck pump yet - I meant a regular gas station pump. I was hoping the larger diameter truck stop pumps would fit and hold better in the fill tube. I guess not.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need to insert the pump nozzle like a gangster.

You've seen how gangsters hold their glock sideways? Do the same with the nozzle. It will then find a hold as it tries to right itself and work with no problem.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post

You've seen how gangsters hold their glock sideways? Do the same with the nozzle. It will then find a hold as it tries to right itself and work with no problem.
Perfect. I will definitely give that a try.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:08 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I put the smaller nozzles in sideways when necessary and on occasion, upside down. I find the large truck stop nozzles can also be problematic. You can only put them in one way, you have to make sure it's in there just right. Doing so, makes it hard to remove. The coils on the pump filler neck get hung up.

Lastly, the trip gauge on the dash, is fairly accurate as to how many gallons I take. My VMSpc program is usually within a gallon. When I get within two gallons of being full, it looks funny, but I put my ear down by the nozzle. I can hear the fuel gurgle, just about a half gallon before the pump will shut off and spit fuel out. As soon as I hear it gurgle, I stop and remove the nozzle. This prevents any spills, especially on the truck pumps.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same filler tube angle problem in my ‘02 DS. I use truck stops almost exclusively. I insert the nozzle upside down, with the hose set or curled in such a way that the nozzle handle is leaning forward and supported by the fuel filler door. Set the flow to high speed, then reduce to slow speed when I’m within about 5 gal of shutoff. No backsplash problems.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:00 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin RED 33AA Fueling

My Tiffin RED 33AA fuel filler tube works just fine. I go the truck stop insert the large nozzle and pull the handle. While it fills up my tank I wash the windshield. I usually get around 50 gallons, so when it gets to 40 I go back to the handle to manage the last 10 gallons. I usually slow the flow a little for the last few.

Hope this doesn't change. I have only had the coach for about 5000 miles. I might need to watch it more closely. Hate to have it fall out.

Regards, Jerry
Old 10-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #9

On my KS ,the filler tube on the MH looks to be flat. With the high rate of fuel the truck pumps put out, the flatness of the filler tube is my problem. When filling I just barely hold the nozzle on, when I here it gurgling I shut if off for a little bit to let the foam/bubbling go away then put more fuel in.

I have issues with the DEF pump overflowing my tank

I am new to this and am learner. On the job training
Old 10-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
I wonder if this issue is "chassis" related. I haven't had a problem filling our Spartan chassis RV yet but I also listen for the sound to change as it fills and slow down the flow as it nears full. I was a "pump jockey" early in my life and that's where I learned to do that. Blow back is usually venting related. I know a couple guys with dual fills who open the oft side when filling.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:34 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
The angle of the fill tube does not support a regular sized diesel pump nozzle properly, and it will "pop out" a few inches if I let it rest without holding it. From there, it seems like it wants to come all the way out. Pain in the butt when you are filling 25-50-75 gallons.

Any suggestions?
I have the same issue when I fill my coach at a Shell station near my home. The "regular size" diesel pump nozzle will not stay in the fill tube so I just hold the pump nozzle at the hoze to nozzle connection (much more comfortable that holding at the "handle" area).

At truck stops, the larger, fast flow rate pump nozzles stay in the fill tube. My problem is stopping flow as my fuel tank nears being full. If I rely on the "auto shutoff" of the truck stop pump nozzle, I get a lot of diesel "blow back" from the fill tube just as the pump nozzle shuts off. When my fuel tank is ~90% full, I'll grab the truck stop pump nozzle, stop flow and then manually control a trickle flow until my fuel tank is full.

For reference, my Ventana LE 4037 is constructed on a single rear axle Freightliner XCR chassis.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #12

Gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post

I love the way you put that. That's what I do and it works.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:22 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I wonder if this issue is "chassis" related. I haven't had a problem filling our Spartan chassis RV yet but I also listen for the sound to change as it fills and slow down the flow as it nears full. I was a "pump jockey" early in my life and that's where I learned to do that. Blow back is usually venting related. I know a couple guys with dual fills who open the oft side when filling.

Yo guys that listen for the sound to change must not use the same truck stops I use. I always seem to have trucks on either side of me running their engines while they fill up. I can't hear anything except their engines and air compressors.

Tags
fuel