Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 06:31 AM   #1

Fuel Filter "Tricks"

Good morning. Last night I was servicing our coach for the first time, and I have run into 2 issues that I am hoping to get some help on.
First off, we have a 2002 Dutch Star 4095 on a Spartan Chassis, with a Cummins ISC 350hp Diesel.
1. Fuel filter changing.
How in the HECK do you change the fuel filter. It is in such a rediculous spot, that you can't even get to. Why would they put the fuel filter directly above the starter, and that wiring, and every other piece of apperatous in the way so you can't get to it ? My In-Laws have a 1998 Dutch Star, and to change theirs, all you have to do is open the side compartment to where the batteries are at, and it is right in front of you. Don't even have to crawl under the coach to do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, if anyone has any tricks to getting at the fuel filter more easily, I would appreciate some help.
2. Coolant filter change.
Now, this one is easier to get at, but I am not quite sure if there is a "valve" or something that you have to turn off first before unscrewing the filter, so that you don't loose antifreeze ? I see a little petcock thingy up there, but can not turn it by hand, and don't want to put a wrench on it or anyting to try and turn it and cause a LEAK that won't stop.
Any help on either would be GREATLY appreciated.
Curt Henshaw.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:42 AM   #2

Typically the one on the engine is the secondary filter--should be a primary located in a more accessable location....yes, the secondary is a PITA to get to. Be careful, most starter motors are hot wired via a relay so dont touch the main studs on the starter with your wrenches.
The valve on the water filter is a shut-off--might be stuck if not used for a while. Cummins eventually did away with coolant filters--to manage DCA. Suggest leaving it on and just doing your DCA chem levels via additive bottles you can buy at Cummins.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Typically the one on the engine is the secondary filter--should be a primary located in a more accessable location....yes, the secondary is a PITA to get to. Be careful, most starter motors are hot wired via a relay so dont touch the main studs on the starter with your wrenches.
The valve on the water filter is a shut-off--might be stuck if not used for a while. Cummins eventually did away with coolant filters--to manage DCA. Suggest leaving it on and just doing your DCA chem levels via additive bottles you can buy at Cummins.....
I called Spartan Chassis to get all the specs. and information on our Coach. So that is the ONLY fuel filter that is on our Coach. Sure seems that they could have located it in a better area to get at. I have already purchased the Coolant Filter, so I would like to change it out this time at least. Wondering how much coolant I will loose if I just spin it off and hurry to put the new one on ?
Old 06-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #4

Guess I would be curious as to which filter you bought--the fleetguard filter comes in one of three configs....zero DCA additive, "some" DCA, and "more" DCA. If you go with anything other that zero DCA level, the idea is to test your coolant, determine your DCA needs, then select the level of DCA filter that matches your DCA needs.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Guess I would be curious as to which filter you bought--the fleetguard filter comes in one of three configs....zero DCA additive, "some" DCA, and "more" DCA. If you go with anything other that zero DCA level, the idea is to test your coolant, determine your DCA needs, then select the level of DCA filter that matches your DCA needs.
Spartan Chassis recommended the WF2071 that has 4 units of DCA, so that is the one I purchased. I have since been told to just "skip" replacing the filter, and test for DCA levels, and add what I need. But before I knew you could just add the chemical, I had purchased the filter already. Live and learn on that one I guess.
Still wondering how much coolant I will loose if I just spin off the filter without shutting off the valve ?
And an easier way of getting to the impossible fuel filter ?
Thanks for all the help so far, it has been a help.
Curt.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #6

Could an Admin. please move this to the Newmar Owners part. I didn't notice that I put this in this section. (The wrong one)
Old 06-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhenshaw4 View Post
Could an Admin. please move this to the Newmar Owners part. I didn't notice that I put this in this section. (The wrong one)
Done.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:39 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Maybe it left Spartan with one and there is another, but in any case adding a filter between the fuel tank and would be a good idea. My engine mounted filter is second in line from the fuel tank.
The first in line filter is located just behind the rear wheel on the passenger side. Access from the battery storage compartment.
The warning above about hot wires is a good one. I disconnect the Batteries just to be sure. Having a fuel filter scratch a hot battery line while I am hanging upside down in the bedroom engine compartment is a bad brain picture.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
Maybe it left Spartan with one and there is another, but in any case adding a filter between the fuel tank and would be a good idea. My engine mounted filter is second in line from the fuel tank.
The first in line filter is located just behind the rear wheel on the passenger side. Access from the battery storage compartment.
The warning above about hot wires is a good one. I disconnect the Batteries just to be sure. Having a fuel filter scratch a hot battery line while I am hanging upside down in the bedroom engine compartment is a bad brain picture.
Hey hillboy,
Just got an email from Spartan Chassis, and they said that the easiest way to get to my fuel filter is from under the bed in the rear. I never thought of thay one !!! So I will give that a try. And they also did confirm that my coach only has 1 fuel filter, and not 2. So when I get home today, I will give that trick a try. Thanks for your help.
Curt.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

We had a 2002 DS with same engine. Our fuel filter (only one) was in the same location as yours. We had Spartan move the filter location under the battery trey...very easy to change. Don't remember the cost, but it was worth it.

Greg
2015 DSDP 4369
gjbeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Under the bed is a tough one but in your case the only way. I uusually take out the matress disconnect the opener brackets and block up the bed deck to get room to work.

Also use a "vice grip style" filter wrench. I hope the last person who replaced it didn't over tighten.
Your floor plan might be different.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbeels View Post
We had a 2002 DS with same engine. Our fuel filter (only one) was in the same location as yours. We had Spartan move the filter location under the battery trey...very easy to change. Don't remember the cost, but it was worth it.

Greg
2015 DSDP 4369
That is a great idea Greg. Thanks for the tip. I will have to call Spartan Chassis and find out the cost.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhenshaw4 View Post
That is a great idea Greg. Thanks for the tip. I will have to call Spartan Chassis and find out the cost.
Yea, if your in Wayland your not that far from Spartan.

As for the water filter. Do not remove it without turning off the valve. It's hard to describe what the valve looks like. Doesn't really look like a valve. It's right above the filter (if my memory serves me right) and round about the size of a half dollar. It has a oblong tab on it you can put a crescent wrench on to turn it. I think it just turns 1/4 turn to open or close. Just leave that drain petcock alone, you don't have to deal with that just to change the filter.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
Yea, if your in Wayland your not that far from Spartan.

As for the water filter. Do not remove it without turning off the valve. It's hard to describe what the valve looks like. Doesn't really look like a valve. It's right above the filter (if my memory serves me right) and round about the size of a half dollar. It has a oblong tab on it you can put a crescent wrench on to turn it. I think it just turns 1/4 turn to open or close. Just leave that drain petcock alone, you don't have to deal with that just to change the filter.
I only saw one valve up there by it coolant filter ? Is there more than the one by the side of it ? I will look more this evening when I get home. Spartan said that I would loose approx. 1/2 gallon (if I was quick) with doing it without turning it off. Must look closer this evening.

Tags
fuel