Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Talking Fuel Gage Problems

Hello, we have a 2005 DSDP that we purchased recently. The fuel gage is "sticking". After filling up we see the full tank, but doesn't show what you've used as you drive along. Then all of a sudden it registers on empty. Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do to fix it? Thanks.
Carrollsclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar family.

Is your Dutch Star built on a Freightliner or Spartan chassis ?

Both chassis manufacturers have had fuel gauge issues , but there are different repairs required.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a similar problem. It was a bad ground.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Here's yet another possible answer: Bad fuel sending unit. Mine gage used to give unreliable readings and it turned out to be a bad sending unit. On mine, you can access it through a port in the storage compartment immediately behind the passenger steer tire. There is an electrical connection there. I unplugged mine and fuel ran out. Not normal.

The sending unit is relatively cheap and an easy repair. Four bolts as I recall, and you're done.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fuel gage problems

We have a Spartan chasis.
Carrollsclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Carrollsclub,
The above replies are good. In addition, don't use the fuel gage. I have never used the fuel gage. I use the trip odometer. Reset when I fill up. I know how many miles I can go, conservatively. Using this method I fill up with 60-75 gallons each time (100 gallon tank). After experimenting with this method you'll begin to like it. In addition, I always use PFJ. I plan my fuel stops in conjunction with the trip odometer.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had a similar problem on my Spartan chassis. It was a bad ground.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:24 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Here's yet another possible answer: Bad fuel sending unit. Mine gage used to give unreliable readings and it turned out to be a bad sending unit. On mine, you can access it through a port in the storage compartment immediately behind the passenger steer tire. There is an electrical connection there. I unplugged mine and fuel ran out. Not normal.

The sending unit is relatively cheap and an easy repair. Four bolts as I recall, and you're done.
And the fuel level needs to be below the level of the sender unit, and use the new gasket if provided if not get a new one.
Had a new tank installed 2001 Mountain Aire and they swapped sending unit using old gasket. Steady drip until new gasket installed.
If sending unit access from compartment does not line up with location of the sending unit you may have do cut new access. Been there done that.

Tags
ems, fuel, problems