Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 02:20 PM   #1
dp7

Fuel sending unit -- Newmar what were you thinking??

Have a problem with the fuel gauge intermittently dropping to empty, LCBU reporting low fuel & dash chime sounding. A few seconds later all returns to normal. Another few seconds later, cycle repeats.

Freightliner dealer diagnosed it as a bad sending unit. Okay lets replace it. Well no so fast. Newmar welded a cross brace between the frame rails that prevents dropping the tank. So the only way to replace sending unit is cut the brace off & re-weld.

Seems ridiculous that Newmar would use a welded brace rather than bolting it on for easy removal to service the fuel sending unit. Come on Newmar give a little thought to serviceability.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #2

Or you could blame Freightliner for putting the sender on top of the tank instead of the side, where it was on my previous coach.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Or you could blame Freightliner for putting the sender on top of the tank instead of the side, where it was on my previous coach.
Tank runs from frame rail to frame rail. Hardly any clearance on sides. Tank is deep, so sender must enter from top.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:59 PM   #4

pull the wire on the chime and keep track of your mileage to fuel up by.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #5
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
Have a problem with the fuel gauge intermittently dropping to empty, .
fwiw, I do not know how different your chassis/tank setup maybe compare to my xcp chassis. Had this problem in 2017. The tech from my old home dealer was able to replace the sensor without dropping the tank.. he did say he has to drop the tank, but found a way to replace the sensor, withouht dropping the tank. ofcourse, the replacement is already acting up!
Old 10-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #6

Check in your first basement curbside compartment- there used to be a round 4" black plastic hatch cover up high that can be used to access the fuel tank sending unit.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #7

Not for nothing but I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel and apparently Ram had issues with bolts falling off part of the steering system. So, in order to do an alignment, the shop has to cut the weld off, align the vehicle then reweld it again. Now that's ridiculous
Old 10-28-2021, 10:43 AM   #8

Newmar , has been welding a cross brace between the front jack mounts ( under the fuel tank ) for a long time , that's the way my 99 DS on F/L is too.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I have had the same problem since coach was new on 2011 MADP. The fuel gauge will drop out too empty and will not return until I restart the engine. Freightliner has changed the LCD twice to no resolution. I just check the fuel used and decide how much fuel we have remaining. It would be nice to resolve the issue but it's not a big deal
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:55 AM   #10

I had sending unit problems on our coach. The sending unit is on the side of the tank and while you can access it, getting tools and being able to apply pressure to the bolts was challenging. Plus I had to be sure the tank was below half tank to changing out. With the help of a buddy and some oak boards used to apply pressure between the frame, the breaker bar and the bolts, we got them out and replaced. Has been working perfectly since. Ours is analog though and it was very hard to find one.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #11

Spartan has fuel sending unit in the side of the tank with access behind outside fridge our 1st cabinet on passengers side.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:15 AM   #12
dp7

Okay, got the sending unit replaced & wanted to post the outcome as it may help others that find themselves in the same situation. When the coach was on the lift, I was able to see the arrangement with the service manager & the tech assigned. It appeared to me & the tech that it might be possible to slide the tank toward the rear & then tilt the back down to remove it from the frame. The service manager was adamant that there was insufficient clearance & no choice but to cut the cross brace & re-weld.

I called Newmar to confirm that cutting & welding were required. Got to say that I was a bit surprised that Newmar would not give me an answer & would only allow the Newmar tech to speak with the service facility directly. Not sure why they felt that this information could not be shared with the coach owner! Anyway, about 4 hours later the Newmar tech called the service facility. Unfortunately, I was not part of the conversation & was told by the service manager that Newmar told him that cutting & welding was required.

Fortunately the dealer's tech was open minded enough to try removing the tank without resorting to cutting & welding. He said that it was very tight, but was successful in getting it out!

So, I retract my comment about Newmar not paying attention to serviceability. Why they insisted on speaking only with the service facility & wouldn't allow the Newmar tech to answer my direct question is still a mystery & quite frustrating. Anyway I hope this saves others from going down the cut & weld path and it's potential issues.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Great info dp7 Some day I might give it a try
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #14

Maybe they wanted to tell the tech that it was indeed possible but that it wasn't there position and wanted to do it with as small an audience as possible?

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, newmar