Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 04 Winnabago Journey i had the same problem !!

It was the fuel vent hose that follows the filler neck to the tank it was sagging hense the fuel would lay in the hose sag area and block the venting which causes the air from the tank to blow back the filler neck,
I removed the vent hose close to the filler neck and extended it by aprox 4" then tied it up with tie wraps higher than the filler pipe.
Make sure to take out the sag completely.
I can now fill at wide open nozzel, prior to doing that it would take me 1/2 hr to fill the tank.

Dave
Dave9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #58
P38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I rather agree, I prefer the regular nozzles found in the auto and rv lanes as opposed to the high volume nozzles found on the truck lanes. However, sometimes I just cannot get into the auto or rv lanes, or more precisely, I doubt the turning room exists to get out.
I prefer these lanes too. The problem in addition to in/out access is the small talk that arises from other customers regarding how much does it cost to fill and what kind of mileage do you get in that thing?
P38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #59

fueling issue

when we first started rving i had the same problem you have had, namely overfilling with spillage at big rig filling stations. the problem was easily corrected on our newmar mountainaire by opening slightly the gas cap on the opposite side of the vehicle. this allows air to escape ahead of the fuel that is displacing the air in the tank. if you dont have dual filling port capabilities i dont have any further suggestions. good luck to all and safe travels always.
joseph gaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnash View Post
When fueling up at truck stops with the large high volume nozzles fuel spews out all over the side of the coach and on the ground when the tank nears full. I have been experimenting with nozzle placement and making sure the nozzle is on the lowest setting. Still doesn't help much. My next step is to take a look at the hose routing behind the fill cap to see if there may be an issue there. Anyone experiencing this issue?
Thanks
David
2019 DSDP 4369
Yeah I agree. I don't know why they don't just put the big fill cap on all diesel vehicles so when you pull into a truck stop you don't have to fight that thing.
blonde347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #61

Lots of the fill nozels don't work correctly at truck stops.
That's why you see large fuel puddles at the pumps.
Goldwinging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #62
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Are you suggesting that upon entering a busy truck stop lane you sit there and start messing around with your suspension air and/or jacks to try to get the coach set just right for refueling?
No to your question.

If you pull into a site that is down hill or front of motorhome is lower than the rear.
1. You will not get a full tank and it will belch more.
2. If your motorhome is leaning towards you while filling, you will not get a full tank and it will belch more. You could always fill on other side that is higher.

If you pulled into site that does not have the fuel filler at the highest point of fuel entry. You can use your jacks to correct. In this case I get out start the pump and while it is fueling I will adjust the coach with my jack(s). That is if I want a full tank.

This is my SOP......
1. Always make sure the coach is level or front of coach
is up.
2. If a pump island is slanted I pull in so that I can fill from the side that makes the fill neck the highest.
3. I never have both situations of nose down and leaning towards me. I never have the front down. I have use the left or right front jack to slightly tilt the coach away from me if I want a full tank and had no other choice. (Mine vents properly so I don't get a belch) and/or drive up on a board on the side your going to fill from.

With all this said;
Go back to post #34. You need the air in the tank to be at the fill neck or nozzle. When you PUSH the fuel down a 2 1/2" hose by 3' long to reach the tank and the air is in the back of the tank. It will absorb some pressure then blow back through the fill neck i.e. belch out.

My post(s) are aimed at the RV'er that wants a full tank of fuel, fill it fast, and not puke fuel everywhere. My post are not for the RV'er only wanting a partial tank of fuel.

SLS
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde347 View Post
Yeah I agree. I don't know why they don't just put the big fill cap on all diesel vehicles so when you pull into a truck stop you don't have to fight that thing.
Because you only carry a puny 100-ish gallons. My OTR rig had four tanks totaling 360 gallons. Every fuel stop was about 300 gallons. Hi flow nozzles deliver about 30 gallons per minute. With topping and swapping tanks, it was a 15-20 minute job to fill that rig. Auto nozzles flow at about 10 gallons per minute. My 300+ gallons to full would take 30+ minutes, plus time to top and swap tanks.

With my 90 gallon tank on my RV, I burn no more than 80 of those gallons at a time. At 30 gallons per minute, it'd take less than 3 minutes to fill, but at 10 gpm, it's still just 8 minutes, still not too bad. i like the cleaner environment of the rv an auto lanes compared to the truck lanes.

And I don't want to hinder the men and women out there trying to make a living in the tough world of OTR driving. I've been in their shoes. I choose to stay out of their way. The 20 minutes I'm clogging the truck lanes is 20 minutes more that the trucker behind me will be away from home and family.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #64

American Coach Owners Club
Gas Guard XL

While this is not a fix, it could help reduce the amount of fuel that hits the paint. That said, I haven't tried it.

Gas Guard XL
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...Steve
SRS-Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #65
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Thumbs up Tony Mac

Hi Tony,

Your earlier post: "Whoa dude. Have some decaf. Why all the caps and red ink?"

My frustration with this thread is all minutia and/or pontification without the input of how to "FIX" the problem.

Your frustration as a truck driver wanting to get home and be with his family has to be exacerbated with an RV owner belching fuel all over the island and then using the window cleaner to wash the side of his $500K RV along with taking forever to fill his tank.

FYI, FL is a truck company and the tanks they build with the nozzle inserted directly into the tank like your 360 gallon rigs is great. But, to fit that on an RV they used a 2 1/2" hose 3' up to the side of the coach. They put a vent line at the fill neck level which won't work if the air in the tank is above it.

Hence, RED Capital Letters.

I am headed back on road and may look later to see if anyone can post a "FIX" better than mine. I would love to see a post that shows how to remove my tank and put a vent in the middle of the tank and on top.......

SLS
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #66

From my days working at a truck stop, many, many years ago. First thing I learned was to fuel as fast as possible and get them back out on the road. Doing that I learned a simple fact. Those high speed nozzles created lots and lots of foam, so even filling through a large filler port in the top of a side tank, eventually, you stopped and let the foam dissipate. (nothing like being 16, and dressed down by a burley trucker for not getting his tank full)

With the convoluted RV fill tubes, even when vented properly, foam is a problem when filling fast. At some point, near the full point, you have to stop and let that foam dissipate a bit if you want to fill the tank to the maximum.

Perhaps new diesel formulas foam less these days, but I find that by slowing down that last 10 gallons, I can fill right to the very brim on my fuel fill port. But if there is a trucker parked behind me waiting, I just call it good, and don't worry about those last few gallons.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #67

Regardless of noise from other trucks, I can always hear a change in the sounds about 10 seconds before the nozzle shuts off. At that point I fill manually and have no issues.
PatriotMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
No to your question.

If you pull into a site that is down hill or front of motorhome is lower than the rear.
1. You will not get a full tank and it will belch more.
2. If your motorhome is leaning towards you while filling, you will not get a full tank and it will belch more. You could always fill on other side that is higher.

If you pulled into site that does not have the fuel filler at the highest point of fuel entry. You can use your jacks to correct. In this case I get out start the pump and while it is fueling I will adjust the coach with my jack(s). That is if I want a full tank.

This is my SOP......
1. Always make sure the coach is level or front of coach
is up.
2. If a pump island is slanted I pull in so that I can fill from the side that makes the fill neck the highest.
3. I never have both situations of nose down and leaning towards me. I never have the front down. I have use the left or right front jack to slightly tilt the coach away from me if I want a full tank and had no other choice. (Mine vents properly so I don't get a belch) and/or drive up on a board on the side your going to fill from.

With all this said;
Go back to post #34. You need the air in the tank to be at the fill neck or nozzle. When you PUSH the fuel down a 2 1/2" hose by 3' long to reach the tank and the air is in the back of the tank. It will absorb some pressure then blow back through the fill neck i.e. belch out.

My post(s) are aimed at the RV'er that wants a full tank of fuel, fill it fast, and not puke fuel everywhere. My post are not for the RV'er only wanting a partial tank of fuel.

SLS
Maybe I have just been lucky in the 30 or so states I have traveled through and fueled up in. I have never pulled into a major truck stop and found the diesel islands to be way out of level. Even fueling up saddle tanks on commercial trucks would be hard if the lanes were all running up hill or down hill.

I always keep in mind that I am driving an RV when I pull into the diesel lanes at truck stops. I never want to take any more time than necessary to get my fuel and leave. 90% of the others fueling around me are trying to make a living and I respect that. There is no way I'm going to drive up on a board, use my jacks, or do anything extra except stand there and pump my fuel as quickly as I can. I simply slow down the last few gallons. If I leave the pumps with 98 gallons instead of 100 it will be fine.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #69

Are you filling with Diesel? I leave my engine running and my wife let's me know when the gauge is almost full, besides it should have an auto shutoff when it has back pressure.
I were hearing aids and I hear the fuel gargling up the spout.
Don't walk away when fueling, if your still having a problem ask a trucker how best to do it.
RetiredCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #70

I had problems like this once, I took it to CW they fixed it and the problem was fixed.
The problem was fixed and no more over spill's
RetiredCG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel