Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
I tried that and it belched out both sides....
As far as I know opening both fuel caps is pretty much standard on Bluebirds when using the high volume nozzles and trying to avoid the diesel bath and of course ymmv.
CaptPegLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #72
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg View Post
As far as I know opening both fuel caps is pretty much standard on Bluebirds when using the high volume nozzles and trying to avoid the diesel bath and of course ymmv.
Depends on where the fuel neck is located on the tank.
FL is 7/8's to front of tank. Didn't work for me. Belched out both sides

SL
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:42 AM   #73

Hi everyone, we just returned from 10 days of camping in Ga. Great trip.

I appreciate all of the replies and information regarding my fueling issue. I really want to find a solution to this issue. Some addition thoughts to consider.

When fueling my previous coach, I would pull in to the truck fuel bay, set the nozzle to its highest setting, do a walk around inspection of coach and trailer, the high speed nozzle would click off, I would manually add the additional "top off" fuel to completely fill the tank. Very quick and not a drop spilled. I believe that is the normal procedure for most coaches. This makes for a quick in and out of the fuel bays. (I usually have to wait on the semi in front of me to move before we can leave.)

On our new DSDP, I first noticed the attitude of the nozzle when inserted into the fill port was almost horizontal (very little slope in the hose to the tank). Once I made my first fill-up I realized there was a problem.

My current technique (to minimize the blow back) is to set the high flow nozzle at its lowest setting. I'm not sure what the GPM flow is but its a lot less than the high setting. Based on my fuel stop intervals I'm usually pumping 80-90 gallons. The nozzle clicks off and fuel blows back. (I have paper towels and even a makeshift garbage bag bibb to minimize the mess.) I then proceed to manually complete the fueling by hand at its lowest setting. It ends up taking another 30 +/- gallons. And it still blows back when manually filling although not as much. )This has happened at different PFJ so its not a faulty nozzle.

So, it seems that the tank vent system is not constructed to adequately handle the large nozzle when fueling. I have inspected the hose routing and other than being almost horizontal, it looks good. (no bellies or kinks).
You can see everything by opening the DS battery bay.

At our next fuel stop we will open the PS fuel cap to allow for additional venting as suggested. That's a great idea and would be easy if it works.

At this point we are not content with: partial fuel-ups, using auto/rv fuel dispenser (70' long), using jacks/boards, bibbs (good idea for temp solution).

I would appreciate hearing from 2019 DSDP owners to see if they are experiencing the same thing or is this issue unique to my coach.

Again, thanks to all for the discussion and information.
kdnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:17 AM   #74

Kdnash,

Freightliner or Spartan?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredCG View Post
I had problems like this once, I took it to CW they fixed it and the problem was fixed.
The problem was fixed and no more over spill's
And exactly what make/model of coach did you have CW fix for you?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #76

American Coach Owners Club
Leave diesel running while fueling?

Not to hijack this thread for a related question, but I see that "RetiredCG" said that he leaves his diesel engine running while fueling in order for his wife to monitor the fuel gauge. I'm new to diesels and RV's, so my question is, is it okay, or even advisable, to do that? I know at gasoline pumps you're required to shut the engine off.

Thanks - Steve
SRS-Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS-Ohio View Post
Not to hijack this thread for a related question, but I see that "RetiredCG" said that he leaves his diesel engine running while fueling in order for his wife to monitor the fuel gauge. I'm new to diesels and RV's, so my question is, is it okay, or even advisable, to do that? I know at gasoline pumps you're required to shut the engine off.

Thanks - Steve
Only my opinion.

A gasoline engine has an electrical system that is in operation while the engine is running--distributor, high tension plug wiring, and spark plugs. Additionally, you have the electrical connections to the fuel pump and the pump itself being powered. All these things are potential spark/explosion points should vapor from a fuel fill be present. Gasoline is lighter and more volatile than diesel, requiring less heat to ignite, and the presence of vapor more likely.

The electrical ignition system is not present on a diesel engine, but electrical connections to the fuel pump(s) are. In a pusher, those, however, are in the rear, away from the tank and fueling ports. Still, with a running engine, there is a potential for spark, yet the density of diesel fuel and low vaporization rate compared to gasoline means the fuel would have to be close to the ignition source for it to ignite.

I would suggest to not have the engine running, just to have the extra margin of safety. It seems to me that monitoring the fuel gauge can be done with the key in the ON position but without the engine running. If that results in warning buzzers in the cab, the simply turn the key ON briefly when you think the tank is full.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #78

I should have included this info on the first post. We have a freightliner chassis.
Thanks
David
2109 DSDP 4369
kdnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #79

Why not just use the jacks to lift the side you are filling ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Sent this last week to Winepress:

Winepress,

The problem with the fill neck on the freightliner chassis is that it is not vented properly and the size and location of the vent line (tube) are to low and to big.

I have replaced the entire tube/line into the tank on both sides. I have pictures of the entire procedure but before you decided to "Fix" it, try this first.

1.When you pull in for fuel ALWAYS make sure the front of the coach is higher than the rear. (The more, The better)
2. ALWAYS make sure the side of the coach you are filling is the highest point.

With that said, just make sure the front of coach is higher than the rear and leaning towards the opposite your filling. Does need much but will fill faster at the end with much less to NO blow-back if you do this along with getting a full tank.

SLS -
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #80
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
Why not just use the jacks to lift the side you are filling ?
Yes.......that will work most the time. The vent and fuel fill are together (see post #34). They are located almost in the front of MH. If you cover the vent line or the fill neck you won't get a full tank and the air being compressed will push the fuel back out....

You can also have a couple 2 x 6 and drive up on them. The MH just needs a slant.

SLS

I would sure like to know what CW works on fuel tanks. Could you please post the one that fixed this problem.
Thx.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnash View Post
Hi everyone, we just returned from 10 days of camping in Ga. Great trip.

I appreciate all of the replies and information regarding my fueling issue. I really want to find a solution to this issue. Some addition thoughts to consider.

When fueling my previous coach, I would pull in to the truck fuel bay, set the nozzle to its highest setting, do a walk around inspection of coach and trailer, the high speed nozzle would click off, I would manually add the additional "top off" fuel to completely fill the tank. Very quick and not a drop spilled. I believe that is the normal procedure for most coaches. This makes for a quick in and out of the fuel bays. (I usually have to wait on the semi in front of me to move before we can leave.)

On our new DSDP, I first noticed the attitude of the nozzle when inserted into the fill port was almost horizontal (very little slope in the hose to the tank). Once I made my first fill-up I realized there was a problem.

My current technique (to minimize the blow back) is to set the high flow nozzle at its lowest setting. I'm not sure what the GPM flow is but its a lot less than the high setting. Based on my fuel stop intervals I'm usually pumping 80-90 gallons. The nozzle clicks off and fuel blows back. (I have paper towels and even a makeshift garbage bag bibb to minimize the mess.) I then proceed to manually complete the fueling by hand at its lowest setting. It ends up taking another 30 +/- gallons. And it still blows back when manually filling although not as much. )This has happened at different PFJ so its not a faulty nozzle.

So, it seems that the tank vent system is not constructed to adequately handle the large nozzle when fueling. I have inspected the hose routing and other than being almost horizontal, it looks good. (no bellies or kinks).
You can see everything by opening the DS battery bay.

At our next fuel stop we will open the PS fuel cap to allow for additional venting as suggested. That's a great idea and would be easy if it works.

At this point we are not content with: partial fuel-ups, using auto/rv fuel dispenser (70' long), using jacks/boards, bibbs (good idea for temp solution).

I would appreciate hearing from 2019 DSDP owners to see if they are experiencing the same thing or is this issue unique to my coach.

Again, thanks to all for the discussion and information.
I don't think my "blow back" is as severe as what you are experiencing. My coach is a VTDP 4369 on the FL chassis. I start on the low setting also. I know before I leave the driver's seat approximately how much fuel I should be taking on. If in my estimation I will need about 55 gallons to fill then at 48 or 50 gallons I start filling by hand as slow as I can. It takes several minutes to get that last few gallons in before it might back up and shut off but not blow out. I'll wait just 15 or 20 seconds and squeeze another couple gallons in before it clicks off again. I can repeat this 2 or 3 times without having fuel blow out at me. I am probably filling my 100 gallons tank to within 97 to 99 gallons full.

Most weeks I will fuel up at a Pilot or Flying J several times. Usually they are pretty busy with commercial traffic and I am not about to spend anymore time there than I have to. There is no way I'm dropping jacks down, putting a board under a tire, or anything else except fueling and doing a safety walkaround.

I do plan on trying to open my passenger side fuel cap to see if that helps the venting while fueling though.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
I just slow the fuel flow from the beginning...usually the middle flow volume. Now only have the problem if I try to add more fuel after the pump cuts off the 1st time.
Bpainter00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #83

Country Coach Owners Club
I now find if you lift the front of your coach and lower the rear at the pump fuel goes in better, air comes out and the tank fills well. Try it next time you are buying.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:01 PM   #84
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
FLJOE

QUOTE:
I start filling by hand as slow as I can. It takes several minutes to get that last few gallons in before it might back up and shut off but not blow out. I'll wait just 15 or 20 seconds and squeeze another couple gallons in before it clicks off again. I can repeat this 2 or 3 times without having fuel blow out at me. I am probably filling my 100 gallons tank to within 97 to 99 gallons full.

Most weeks I will fuel up at a Pilot or Flying J several times. Usually they are pretty busy with commercial traffic and I am not about to spend anymore time there than I have to. There is no way I'm dropping jacks down, putting a board under a tire, or anything else except fueling and doing a safety walkaround.

You have stated your way of removing the AIR from the tank and I have made other suggestions along with a "FIX".
I wonder which method waste the most time for the commercial traffic?

SLS

Tags
fuel