Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Full Wall Slide

Spent a few hours looking over a '13 Ventana 4018 and the stumbling block for the DW is the FWS. She watched from the outside as they opened and closed it for us. Her comment was "it just doesn't look right".

My research hasn't found anything glaring other than some early models with roof sags (wasn't Newmar). The most current comment on FWS has been on the slide not pulling up flush all the way around.

Without pulling a slide drive apart, I would think they use two motors with some sort of encoder and torque transducers to keep the motors in synch. Right or wrong? If the wall doesn't pull up flush or go out flush, you would need to get the motors re-synch'd?

Also, as the DW stated, that's one helluva of a long slide cover.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DW has spoken so the only thing we can be sure of is any problem with it down the road will be a moment sometimes referred to as..... "and that's when the fight started". You will really need to research this and have her fully on board with it. At least that's been my experience, YMMV.

Let's see what the practically educated say.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum John and Diann, just because of your question that is why I have put one of the longest threads in QT's # 3.

Its not the Ventana
but all Newmars are built the same.
I am sure John when he wakes up will be on this thread to discuss the 4018 as will Deek another 4018 owner.

These two members did there homework as you are doing now.

Newmar designed the slide system I have a slide on all my Newmars that has never given a problem, they are slow but that's the how they work.
I will add allot of the materials of Newmar slides were designed for Newmar by MFG's for Newmar requirements.

The Ventana is a good coach and I believe Deek move up from one and the kitchen slide will impress Diann the twin motors have no problem moving it.

To find out more about Newmars there is more info in the QT's links 1 & 2 and the new # 3.

You have allot to digest but feel free to ask more questions we are all here to help.

Enjoy your hunt and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family may be in order in near future, maybe this thread will be the one I add too the other two, in QT's #3 still looking.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
John you are correct on the slide motors they are programmed. If for some reason you were to have an issue, like a slide motor defective, the new motor would have to be synched with the current motor. The full slides have been out there for some time and at present the engineering is very reliable. DW and I purchased our coach because of the livability it offered. We have three motors and if necessary they can be manually operated to withdraw the slide using a ratchet. The negative, the awning is long and likes to collect water. When retracting the slide go slowly watching the water funnel off until dry or you will take a chance on a cold bath down your back. We place a towel on top of the slide once in to capture any water trapped on the slide top from a blowing rain. Be sure there is a roller support in the middle of the awning. Other than that enjoy the spacious comfort the full slide offers!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #5

Ours has 3 motors, on the 4347 floor plan. It is almost surreal watching the whole side move.

Dometic just replaced our slide topper because it stretched. Lots of rain in St Louis last year and I wasn't able to pull the slide in to dump the water off often enough.

While I had Newmar doing some other stuff I had them look over the slide adjustment. Which they had to do twice, was way off after the first time. Now it sits perfect.

There were a few other times I thought it was out of adjustment, but it turns out I didn't have it in all the way. Every slide dances a little as they go in and out, it really shows when the slide is over 25 foot long. I'm a little to conservative with the switch, I now double check by going outside and looking.

When it's open, there is a whole lot of space. I have a long running thread titled "Our 2013 Dutch Star" with lots of photos. Along with tons of contributions from others, it's packed with tons of Newmar information.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
John and Diann --

You might think this is a bit unconventional, but it was very well engineered and it really works. Ours has been flawless under all conditions thus far -- thirteen degrees and lots of snow during our delivery week at Newmar in mid-February, on the road for 1,300 miles to Ft. Myers thereafter, at River Bend in LaBelle, Florida for a month with enough rain and wind to adequately test out the FWS topper. Not a problem with the FWS or topper awning in any respect.

Like PDR John says, the full wall slide gives a LOT of room -- it just opens up the entire mid part of the coach. It is a great development IMHO.

I remember seeing and paying attention to some commentary questioning the smooth functioning of the FWS last year, but I am unaware of any real problems with the full slide not working as it was designed -- in any Newmar product. You can expect that Newmar spent the requisite amount of time doing its usual due diligence on this before integrating it into its lines -- it will be good and Newmar will back it 100%.

I really think that you can rely on the engineering on this from Newmar and buy with confidence. You will be very pleased with the layout and the room and comfort which the FWS affords.

Happy hunting for the right coach!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #7

After working on many slide-outs and seeing all the different types, I can tell you that I'm even more confident in Newmar slide engineering after recently working on a Fleetwood Discovery 40G with a full wall slide out - which was scary to watch and listen to, to say the least. No offense to the Fleetwood owners......but their system certainly does not seem as if it's going to hold up to the test of time. Yikes.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is another excellent description of Deek's full wall slide and Newmars dedication to its development if there is any doubt.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It does not matter which manufacturer, I am just very leery of the full wall slides from an engineers eyes. That is a lot of weight and box to support going in or our. Unless you have a very firm foundation structure, it will be prone to shift and misalignment.

So for me, I will not consider such a large slide.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar is selling quite a few of them and the larger slides have three 12v motors not just two that are controlled by a unit similar to this one.
If there is a problem we will hear about it soon enough.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 39R Providence with full wall slide. Have actuated the slides hundreds of times with no problem after i decided to change the sequence. I extend the slide first, then dump the air, then level. I use the opposite sequence when leaving. I think if you level first, the jacks can twist the coach making it shift and scrape.
The major problem with full wall slides is the topper in windy conditions. The wind blows up under the roller and billows it up. I solved the problem by installing an air dam attached over the top of the slide.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not knowing what jack system you have, if its possible lift your chassis side rails in jack pairs ,front & rear jacks, than lift the opposite side rail.
On HWH system the yellow light indicates low side, jacks move in pairs.
If yellow light appears in front or rear of coach after side rails lifted then trim the front or rear pair of jacks.
Do not over extend the front or rear jacks can cause flexing of chassis frame and possibly bind the entrance door or compartment doors.
Jacks are to stabilize the coach not lift off ground.
Flexing the chassis frame can also pop out the windshields.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt View Post
I have a 39R Providence with full wall slide. Have actuated the slides hundreds of times with no problem after i decided to change the sequence. I extend the slide first, then dump the air, then level. I use the opposite sequence when leaving. I think if you level first, the jacks can twist the coach making it shift and scrape.
The major problem with full wall slides is the topper in windy conditions. The wind blows up under the roller and billows it up. I solved the problem by installing an air dam attached over the top of the slide.
The slide toppers on our coach really raised cain on the first windy outing. We tightened them up a couple rounds (the springs) and it helped a bunch. But they will still blow a little. If we ever get our dream coach, Dutch Star or Entagra, I will have it built and leave all slide toppers off. No window or door shades either. And I may even leave the awning off as well. Then we will have a clean streamlined look like a Prevost. You really don't need toppers and awnings. We seen two Prevosts last week and they had nothing on the coaches at all, even though they did have a couple slides on the drivers side. No awnings or widow shades at all. Our 94 Jayco fiver had no slide toppers and it worked great for the 14 years we had it. it will probably be a Dutch Star with a full wall slide
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
May regret leaving slide toppers off, a driving rain windy day may cause a leak.
Can't speak for Entragra but the Newmar slides have a sloping roof at inside edge when against the seal that will help if you did not have a topper on them.
Plus if you have the metal wrap around the awning protects it and keeps from blowing open while traveling down the road. I have wraps on all slide toppers and awnings.

Tags
slide