Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 01:04 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Full Wall Slide Floor Gap

My 2018 Newmar 4369 full wall slide is not sitting flush with the main coach floor. The FWS is also leaning down. See attachments. I recently removed the dinnet sofa by removing four small wood screws. I donít think that is related but it was about the time the problem started. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor level.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	338291   Click image for larger version

Name:	FWS level.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	338292  

Name:	Removed couch.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	338293  
12Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 05:27 AM   #2

The slide has multiple places for adjustment. Take it to someone who understands what adjustment does what. On my older rig, the tilt when Out is adjusted by screws under the outside edge of the slide.

What does the slide look like when In? ie: the gaps between slide and body?
When the RV is level AND not twisted (level both directions, front AND back of the coach).
Old 08-04-2021, 12:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When the FWS is in, the revel looks good on the outside and the slide floor has about the same amount of tilt as shown in the picture with the slide out.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #4
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Down View Post
When the FWS is in, the revel looks good on the outside and the slide floor has about the same amount of tilt as shown in the picture with the slide out.
Your FWS is an HWH slide. it is not like the typical elec slide. The Hyd wouldn't force the fws down. However, it will force it up.

One potential issue may be an object under the slide rail is obstructing the slide to fully seat-in. Follow your hwh fws slide-in procedure (coach at travel mode). bring the fws slide-in, till the slide is fully lifted but not moving-in. Stop and inspect the rail under the slide. Make sure no object is in that railing. could be some wood shimming/etc. from the sofa removal fell inside the railing holding part of the fws up and not fully seated.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the feedback. I checked the whole floor to slide interface area with the slide out and still up. Didnít find anything. To be honest I donít see how that slide even supports itself with all that unsupported weight outside the coach. Should the slide be as level as the floor? Itís definitely leaning down some. Iíll give it another good look tomorrow from the outside in.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had this happen to us as we were doing factory pickup in June of 17. We would notice the FWS creeping up over time. The tech thought it maybe are in the hydraulics so he did a procedure to clear the lines, he went into the bins and flipped the two valves and ran pumps as if he was moving the slide in and out. The slide didnít move during this procedure. But the pump ran and this was supposed to clear the air. It appeared to fix this issue for a while. The issue returned after we had departed, so we lived with it.

At a future service appointment we had them calibrate the auto level system and after that it hasnít happened again.

As for the tilting, Newmar has a service action on the HWH FWS. Contact them to see if your VIN is in the action. We have had several friends who have had the slide worked on and had an alteration of the ďsuper structure ď done.

They do it in Nappanee and NIRVC also does this for Newmar. We have been told it was one of the techs at the Lewisville main NIRVC location that developed the technique that is now employed by the factory.

There is also a less involved procedure they do that includes adding steel angle to the inside of the cabinets on either side of the frig and pantry. This includes steel plates put on the bottom of the slide in that area and secured to the angle irons with lag screws. We had several cracked grout lines in the bedroom time next to the pantry. Newmar performed this on our 17 4018 not as part of the larger service action but to prevent any future issues with the tile at NC to us.

They also adjusted the lean of the slide as it was leaning out about 1 degree on the digital level on my phone. Looks good now and we were happy with the way the factory handled the entire situation.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:20 AM   #7
Rd1

David,

it wouldn't hurt to also call Newmar tech. If you can call between 7:30-8 am EDT Iindiana time) and ask for Mike B. Mike always goes the extra mile to help. Some of the techs are not as helpful or know as much.

From your pics, it looks like only part of your fws floor is not flushed with the main floor, is that correct?

What John is describing correctly is an issue Newmar had with their 2016-2017 model year fws. They were sagging at the bedroom end. I had to have all those upgrades done (at Newmar) at two different times with additional steel to support the fws. To the extend that I know, all those issues were resolved for 18 and later models.

In one of those visits to newmar, the tech had the fws extended fully but not down. he had more than a few 2x4 blocks placed under the fws, next to the main floor (inside the railing). SO he could maintain the fws elevated while working on the adjustments. At the end, when he removed the blocks, he forgot one. when extending the fws for test, after the fws was lowered, the remaining block pushed the fws floor up in one spot (similar to yours) and busted a bunch of the tiles on the fws floor.

To check inside the railing, you'd likely need an extended mirror, or may be sticking your hands/finger to run thru the railing . However, be cautious as there would be screws sticking out in there.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I didn't know I could speak to a Newmar tech. I have always called Customer Support at 866-379-0613. They said in an email that they couldn't offer any advice on slide issues. Do I have to go through Customer Support to get to a tech?
The FWS is flush with the floor from the pantry to the rear and is more level in that area. From the dinnet to the front is where the problem is. The tilt is about the same throughout that area. The gap is the worst for about six feet in the removed sofa area.
I did find a 5" piece of gasket, further to the rear, in the trench between the slide and floor. See pic.
I've searched the whole floor/slide interface, with the slide up and extended, from the inside and outside and I just don't see any obstruction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FWS Gasket.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	338465  
Old 08-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #9
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Down View Post
I didn't know I could speak to a Newmar tech. I have always called Customer Support at 866-379-0613. .
my mistake, should have said customer support. you can call the same 866 and see if you can reach Mike B. early am and mid week is usually a better time to call. A backup option is to try hwh. perhaps they can offer some direction on any hwh related adjustment, etc.. I think one of their employees is a member here, if I can recall correctly, AzPete(?). if you search for hwh issues on this forum, you should be able to locate him. He is also said to be very helpful individual.

Tags
floor, slide