Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fulltimers trying to get recall service work

Fulltime RVers and Newmar newbies who thought we'd be doing better than with our old REV motorhome.

Anyway, we got a recall notice for an issue related to brakes - not chassis problem but something with interior catching brakes. Supposed to be a 10 minute repair.

We're 2,000 miles from our purchasingg dealer. I just called a Newmar Platinum dealer who is closest to our location and were told the earliest they could get us in is January 14th.

This is a Newmar safety recall and that's the best we can expect? - Definitely not what we were led to believe before the purchase.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Give this a try...
Call the Newmar Customer Service line on the sticker on the drivers window.
Tell them you are fulltime and are trying to get a recall completed while you are travelling. Give them as many details as you can about your travel plans.
Usually, they will try to work some magic and get you taken care of along your journey.
As a first year owner under warranty they may be very helpful.

We are fulltime and we have NEVER lost time from our travels waiting to get service done. We have, however, postponed recalls/repairs until they could be done in a convenient way for us, we have had some work done by mobile techs that Newmar approved and reimbursed us for. We have also scheduled trips to Nappanee and Gaffney as needed.

It is a new coach and there are going to be problems, more problems than you want or expect. Try to find the least intrusive way that works for you to handle those problems and it will help keep your stress level and frustration to a minimum.
Good Luck
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Call Newmar, give them your travel plans for the next few months and ask them to assist you with an appointment at a location that works for you and Newmar.

I looked to see what recalls were out on 2019 DSDP and came up with this.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V650000
Manufacturer Newmar Corporation
Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected 123

I can't begin to understand what hydraulic service brake they are talking about on a Dutch Star. Is this your concern?

Tom
Old 10-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - Call Newmar, give them your travel plans for the next few months and ask them to assist you with an appointment at a location that works for you and Newmar.

I looked to see what recalls were out on 2019 DSDP and came up with this.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V650000
Manufacturer Newmar Corporation
Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected 123

I can't begin to understand what hydraulic service brake they are talking about on a Dutch Star. Is this your concern?

Tom
Yes, that's our recall number. Not even sure I understand but saw somewhere that it has to do with how the trim is near the brakes and could interfere. There's a 12-page bulletin telling how to fix it but supposed to only take 10 minutes.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
Give this a try...
Call the Newmar Customer Service line on the sticker on the drivers window.
Tell them you are fulltime and are trying to get a recall completed while you are travelling. Give them as many details as you can about your travel plans.
Usually, they will try to work some magic and get you taken care of along your journey.
As a first year owner under warranty they may be very helpful.

We are fulltime and we have NEVER lost time from our travels waiting to get service done. We have, however, postponed recalls/repairs until they could be done in a convenient way for us, we have had some work done by mobile techs that Newmar approved and reimbursed us for. We have also scheduled trips to Nappanee and Gaffney as needed.

It is a new coach and there are going to be problems, more problems than you want or expect. Try to find the least intrusive way that works for you to handle those problems and it will help keep your stress level and frustration to a minimum.
Good Luck
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. Previously we had a REV motorhome and were hoping that Newmar would be more responsive. So far thinking not.

Actually, we have been working with the "guy on the window" with this and he's the one that said to use the Platinum dealership in Florida - the one who couldn't/wouldn't fit us in until January 14th.

Since the recall notice says the problem could result in a crash, I would have thought they would be more responsive if they are, in fact, Newmar's cream of the crop (Platinum.)

We're now looking for a mobile tech since that would be easier for us anyway.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looking at this RSB, before you got too worried, I would observe your brake pedal and see if the cable loop is in fact hanging in the way. The fix is to just push it up higher.

The danger is that your foot would get caught in that loop, and cause panic / inability to operate the brake pedal.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:44 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I assume they sent you to Fort Myers. This is a large dealer with total capability and I believe two dedicated Newmar Service Employees stationed there. It is easy for Newmar to recommend this location but if you can't get an appointment it doesn't help much.
You might also try Independence RV in Winter Garden. We have never used them but a lot of people here have been happy with their service and support.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #8
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Newmar Customer Service rep was able to get us into the Fort Myers dealership during peak season when we had an issue we thought needed attention right away. They said they could not do major work, but would try to help us. We were treated very well by this dealership as we were a long way from the dealer we purchased our RV.

In our previous "some other brand" motorhome we were flat out told by the local dealer that it would be months before we could get in because "we did not buy from them".
Old 10-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
Commercial Member

it looks like there are 123 units covered under this recall. is your unit one of them??
maybe question newmar about which vin numbers are included.
look at the loop involved. can you tie it up out of the way? just for peace of mind.

florida dealers are coming into their peak season. they are going to be packed with service for on the road travelers.

it does seem the wait is long, but good dealers are always booked out for a couple of months.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Call Newmar customer service again and ask THEM to call the recommended service dealer and make the appointment. Always request that Newmar set up the service appointment; it has a lot more clout than you do as an individual.

I've done this twice and, with excellent results both times.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
I assume they sent you to Fort Myers. This is a large dealer with total capability and I believe two dedicated Newmar Service Employees stationed there. It is easy for Newmar to recommend this location but if you can't get an appointment it doesn't help much.
You might also try Independence RV in Winter Garden. We have never used them but a lot of people here have been happy with their service and support.
It was actually Independence RV that told me January 14th. Definitely disappointed after researching and seeing they were Platinum and have info on their website about taking care of warranty issues. And the Independence guy tried to refer us to Fort Myers...
Old 10-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Looking at this RSB, before you got too worried, I would observe your brake pedal and see if the cable loop is in fact hanging in the way. The fix is to just push it up higher.

The danger is that your foot would get caught in that loop, and cause panic / inability to operate the brake pedal.
Thanks for this. I looked at it all again and I think you're right. When I first looked, the warning indicated possibility of crash. - Guess they wanted to make sure to get our attention.

We're now having issues with our air conditioner.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
it looks like there are 123 units covered under this recall. is your unit one of them??
maybe question newmar about which vin numbers are included.
look at the loop involved. can you tie it up out of the way? just for peace of mind.

florida dealers are coming into their peak season. they are going to be packed with service for on the road travelers.

it does seem the wait is long, but good dealers are always booked out for a couple of months.
I assume our coach is one of the 123 since the recall was associated with our VIN.

Even with peak season, this recall was stated to take 0.1 hour to fix. I find it hard to believe any dealer can't fit that in.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think we did end up getting the loop out of the way now.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
The Newmar Customer Service rep was able to get us into the Fort Myers dealership during peak season when we had an issue we thought needed attention right away. They said they could not do major work, but would try to help us. We were treated very well by this dealership as we were a long way from the dealer we purchased our RV.

In our previous "some other brand" motorhome we were flat out told by the local dealer that it would be months before we could get in because "we did not buy from them".
Thanks. Good to know for future reference.

Tags
fulltime, recall, service