Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Fulltiming Rig: Newmar Dutchstar model 4018, years 2016, 2017 or 2018

My wife and I have been planning to go fulltiming upon my retirement. Well, I just retired, about a week ago.

But unfortunately because of the plague, the adventure will just have to wait for a vaccine ... Now I hope to be on the road by this time next year.

I have spent many years inside IRV2 learning about RVs from the wonderful folks in this forum. I read all I could about Foretravel, Newmars, Entegras, Tiffins and others. I read the good the bad and the ugly on the different units.

I have finally selected the unit for our travels. Newmar Dutchstar 4018.

That unit has everything that we feel we need. The 43' MH would have had more storage and a nicer bathroom than the 40', but the 40' is more acceptable to the boss. Happy wife ...

So now, on to the selection of a model year for the used unit ...

I need the help of the good people of this forum and those familiar with the years 2016, 2017 and 2018 of the Dutchstar 4018.

Which year and why? What problems are there with any particular one of those years?

All help is highly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #2

Given you will be buying in the future, all of those coaches will be used. some more than others.

Each year of course will have features and changes (front tire size will be one of them). but I'd rather have a well loved and clean 2016 over a full timed out in the sun all the time 2018.

Now you get to add in all those specials we keep reading about that may or may not be on a coach. Not to mention the dinette vs desk vs table options (etc etc).

Point being is that I'd be open to all 3 of those years and be more interested in the individual coach that comes to market.
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Why wait for a vaccine? Nothing can be more isolating as full timing in a self contained nice motorhome.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #4
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure on a 2016 that the axle has been upgraded. The 2016 was also the first year for the full wall hydraulic slide on the Dutch Star. There were problems so we decided to wait for the 2017. We bought an early 2017 and still had to go back and get the slide frame upgraded because the slide floor was slanted. There was also a furniture fabric issue and washer issue. Newmar replaced our furniture and washer. The washer was changed to a different model in the 2018.

So while buying a lightly used coach may be good, we used our coach often and got the bugs worked out early and while still under warranty.

We have been very happy with our choice of the 4018. It's perfect for us.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
My wife and I have been planning to go fulltiming upon my retirement. Well, I just retired, about a week ago.

But unfortunately because of the plague, the adventure will just have to wait for a vaccine ... Now I hope to be on the road by this time next year.

I have spent many years inside IRV2 learning about RVs from the wonderful folks in this forum. I read all I could about Foretravel, Newmars, Entegras, Tiffins and others. I read the good the bad and the ugly on the different units.

I have finally selected the unit for our travels. Newmar Dutchstar 4018.

That unit has everything that we feel we need. The 43' MH would have had more storage and a nicer bathroom than the 40', but the 40' is more acceptable to the boss. Happy wife ...

So now, on to the selection of a model year for the used unit ...

I need the help of the good people of this forum and those familiar with the years 2016, 2017 and 2018 of the Dutchstar 4018.

Which year and why? What problems are there with any particular one of those years?

All help is highly appreciated.
I’m very happy with the 2017 model, 16 I believe e was the first year of star foundation and had a lot issues with the full wall slide, so we went with the 2017 4054 quad slide just in case plus we love the floor plan.

Zzotte
Old 09-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #6

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveby View Post
Now you get to add in all those specials we keep reading about that may or may not be on a coach. Not to mention the dinette vs desk vs table options (etc etc).
Good point. The floor plan may be the same for those three years but the specific options and accessories in a particular coach may be important to me. For example, may be someone has upgraded the batteries to Lithium. May be the coach has heated floors, etc.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #7

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Why wait for a vaccine? Nothing can be more isolating as full timing in a self contained nice motorhome.
True. We just don't know how this will all end. Second wave?. It's good to have a home base right now. I'll continue to work to prepare the house to sell next year. It will be great to not have sticks and bricks home to worry about.
But, yes, one of these days we will have a "burn the masks party". Life will then finally go back to normal.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:08 PM   #8

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Make sure on a 2016 that the axle has been upgraded. The 2016 was also the first year for the full wall hydraulic slide on the Dutch Star. There were problems so we decided to wait for the 2017. We bought an early 2017 and still had to go back and get the slide frame upgraded because the slide floor was slanted. There was also a furniture fabric issue and washer issue. Newmar replaced our furniture and washer. The washer was changed to a different model in the 2018.

So while buying a lightly used coach may be good, we used our coach often and got the bugs worked out early and while still under warranty.

We have been very happy with our choice of the 4018. It's perfect for us.
I'm currently preparing a spreadsheet to compare the 2016, 2017 and 2018 model years for the 4018.

For example, as you mentioned, there were problems with the Front GAWR of the 2016 model.

Here are some numbers.

2016: Front GAWR 14600
2017: Front GAWR 17000
2018: Front GAWR 17000 for both Freightliner and Spartan

Here are other interesting facts:
- The 2016 model year was only available with the Freighliner chassis and had an NCC (Net Carrying Capacity) of 8100 lbs.

- The 2017 model year with the Spartan chassis had an additional 1400 lbs. of NCC @ 11700 lbs over that of the Freighliner @ 10300

- Then in the 2018 model year, the Freightliner got a NCC of 12200 lbs., 500 lbs more than the Spartan chassis at 11700 lbs.

Because of the issues with the front axle, the issues with the new design for the full slide and the limited 8100 lbs of NCC compared with the 2017 and 2018 values, I have now ruled out the 2016 model year. So it comes down to either the 2017 or 2018.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
True. We just don't know how this will all end. Second wave?. It's good to have a home base right now. I'll continue to work to prepare the house to sell next year. It will be great to not have sticks and bricks home to worry about.
But, yes, one of these days we will have a "burn the masks party". Life will then finally go back to normal.
I don’t think we will go back to normal. I also don’t think waiting to full time because “It’s a good time to have a home base” makes sense. Unless of course you have health problems and want to be close to the doctors/hospital you are familiar with.

We’ve been all over the country in 2.5 years of full timing. One thing that is ubiquitous about our nation other than strip malls, is healthcare facilities.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:43 AM   #10

Why not consider a 2019? More features and much better front end style.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:52 AM   #11

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Why not consider a 2019? More features and much better front end style.
At this point the 2019 is out of my budget.

But, for the benefit of others reading this thread and looking for a newer Dutchstar, what does the 2019 model year have going for it that the 2018 does not?
Old 09-02-2020, 08:11 AM   #12

First off congratulations on the retirement! I have a little less then 2 years and I may retire for the second time. The wife and I are in the process of getting our house ready to sell now and transition to full time. We just recently purchased a 2016 DSDP 3736 and we know we are going to up size once I retire and hit the road full time. We are looking at the 4362. We like that huge shower and walk in closet in the back. Plus the washer and dryer is out of the way back there and you do not have to perform a circus act to get to them. I would not let COVID get in your way of full timing because you do not know what tomorrows going to bring!
Old 09-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #13

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
... so we went with the 2017 4054 quad slide just in case plus we love the floor plan.
Zzotte
I just checked the 4054 floor plan and videos for it on youtube. So the 4054 has the bathroom in between the bedroom and living area. How do you like that setup?

Also, the 4054 does have more closet space in the bedroom than the 4018 and a double sink. A nice pantry in the bathroom area.

Are you a fulltimer? If so, has the limited bay area storage or smaller size of the interior for a 40' been a problem?
Old 09-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We have had our 2017 DS4018 for 2.5 years now and are very happy with it and the build quality. I would stay away from 2016 simply because of the FWS issues without the Star Chassis. And PLEASE find one with heated floors....an absolute must have!
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutchstar, newmar