Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 10:02 PM   #1

Funny sounds from ducts when windy

This evening is our first night camped in a continuous, steady wind. I would say we've been getting a smooth 10 to 15mph all evening. There are no gusts, and the coach is rock solid as a result. It is also quiet inside, which is one of the things we love most about Newmar. Thank you, insulation!

However, amongst all the quiet, I am noticing a continuous series of... squeaks? I'm not sure if that's the right way to describe them, but they seem to be coming from the duct areas. I can hear them about the same in each section of the coach up there in the ceiling. (I suppose it is possible I am hearing noise up on the roof unrelated to the ducts and just attributing it to them.)

Does everyone else also have this sound? Everything else is so quiet that it's pretty annoying. I'd love to put a stop to it if there's an easy fix...

Thanks,

Ben
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 05:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have any roof vents or windows slightly open could be the blowing air is finding less pressure in coach and is howling through your ceiling vents.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:33 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi nebster,
Because the coach is new and that the 15 DSDP's have the roof facades everything should be wind noise resistant. Consider having the roof components checked out. Make sure what is supposed to be sealed is really sealed. This is not going to be easy to solve unless there is an obvious problem. If a tech can not hear the problem they, most likely, can not repair it. I'd still have the roof components checked out. This means pulling the shrouds off the HVAC units and ensuring the components are properly sealed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:06 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Which Gary reminded me your AC's should have the mounting bolts torqued so the seal is compressed and no water intrusion into your duct system, doesn't mention anything about air into ducts.
Its possible someone didn't check the bolts this link will show the installation of the AC's and what's involved.,
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the tips. Newmar agrees that we should check everything on the roof for something loose. Interestingly, tonight we had some good wind gusts (but not steady wind), and I didn't hear a thing. So it could have been a fluke, or maybe it only sets up into a beating pattern when the wind is stable, or maybe it takes a specific angle of attack? I can tell this is going to be a vexing little issue...
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
My coach has wind noise when the wind is strong on the passenger side. Not straight on, but at a 45 degree angle coming from the back toward the front. Other than that the coach is quiet.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote