Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #1

Funny things leaving RV park.

Well today my DW says oh my look at that 5th wheel. I look out to see it leaving the park with the full patio awning fully extended. Fortunately they stopped to put out trash and I was able to bring it to their attention.

A couple of days ago while I am leaving a RV park I have my window down and hear a guy respond to his friend, look at that, I have never seen a slide that small. They were looking at my escape door.
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I saw a electric cord dragging with no end on it and another time a sewer hose. I walk around our coach at least twice before moving, even in a parking lot.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #3

It took me at least a half hour in the Tracker to catch up with a 5th wheel that I saw leaving the campground with one of his cargo doors open. Thankfully, he stopped when I finally caught up and motioned for him to pull over on the interstate. Chairs, etc. were beginning to edge their way out. He was very thankful when he realized what the problem was and even offered to pay me.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
Well today my DW says oh my look at that 5th wheel. I look out to see it leaving the park with the full patio awning fully extended. Fortunately they stopped to put out trash and I was able to bring it to their attention.

A couple of days ago while I am leaving a RV park I have my window down and hear a guy respond to his friend, look at that, I have never seen a slide that small. They were looking at my escape door.
Oh a escape door? It could have been a slide for pets hey that’s an idea LOL

Zzotte
Old 08-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #5

I was excited to see a warning light on the dash one morning to reming me to put the antenna down before we left.

I almost think driving down the highway with your antenna up is a right of passage in the RV world.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #6

Was in a CG on Oregon coast back in 2010.........
Chased down a MH leaving with Main Awning partially open
A TT with its rear jacks still down
A popup camper with water hose attached
And another TT with a dog leash hooked to rear bumper----fortunately the dog was in the truck!

All in the same week........3 of them on same day

Prior to leaving I do an outside walk around while she checks things inside...then we swap roles and do it again
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #7

I watched as a guy pulled out of a campsite towing a new trailer, and had a disaster. The exit from the site was wide and easy, but for whatever reason, the driver swung hard to the right. Perhaps he thought he needed a wider arc to exit. A leaning tree wiped out the awning support and he didn't realize it immediately so it did more damage down the side of the camper. Kids talking and loud music in the truck. I went over to offer help. The guy was so mad and embarrassed that he wouldn't accept help. I wanted to jack up the trailer's right side and place blocks under the wheels to lean away from that tree. But he hopped back in and pulled forward, raking about 6' of the side.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #8

Some people just need to get out more......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Some people just need to get out more......
AND THEN...
I was standing by the fuel pump in a truck stop fueling up the DP, when I heard some guy yelling "STOP, STOP, STOP"!!!.....then a couple of loud bangs then sudden brake application by the 53ft. tractor-trailor rig in the lane on my side!

Turns out the guy next to him starting yakking at him while he was fueling his tractor,,,,when the guy was done yakking and said his goodbyes, the driver next to me hopped into his truck, with both side pump nozzles still pumping into the saddle tanks, and proceded to put truck in gear and start his roll-out for departure!!

Driver said he never heard the OP yelling, just happened to look back just as the hoses popped out of both tanks! This was a professional driver, said he had never done that in 20 years of driving a big rig, just got distracted listening to the next guy over yak at him!

Scared the hell outta'me let me tell ya'! Just goes to show you it can happen to anybody, even a professional!
2014 Jeep GC diesel - 2024 Renegade Verona 36VSB
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I try to visualize someone leaving with awning deployed....I can't figure out how it's possible...almost the same for sewer hoses, shore cords, water hoses, etc. What do these people do....get in their rigs with blindfolds on?
Old 08-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #11

Didn't "SEE" it...I almost "DID" it

I pulled away from campsite with shore power still connected. Fortunately I saw it through my side view mirror. Another 3 feet and a lot of damage would have occurred.

It was a very hot day that day and I wanted to leave the AC and fridge running right up til the last second...so I got out of my normal routine and almost paid dearly.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Had my shore cord compartment door come open on a Oklahoma toll road. A couple pulled up next to me told I was dragging something. I pulled over to check sure enough a good 4 feet of cord was ate up. There was no plug left. Now I double check all compartments and give them a little tug.
MoePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #13

I think the big takeaway from this thread is to do a all-around prior to leaving. It won't correct all misfortunes, but perhaps it will prevent most.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #14
tcg

I've had a stroke and some other health issues, my short term memory ain't what it used to be.

I leave myself notes for things like turning off hot water or city water when we leave for the day.

For things like tv antenna or drivers side awning I have a bright orange ribbon that I attach to the steering wheel to remind me to check things I might not see or remember during a walk around.

Point is, everyone has a bad day or forgets something I do my best not to poke fun because someday it could be me driving off with something dangling off the side.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote