Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #1

Furnace/AC no juice to thermostat

I have a 1998 Dutch Star. Furnace/AC worked when it was parked over a year ago. Checking it out for use, found that the thermostat doesn't have any juice to it. Someone said that a mouse may have gotten to the wires. Problem is that I don't know where to look. Where are the wires that I can check?
SemiSnowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #2

While it depends on the particular thermostat and air conditioner that you have, most likely you have a simple, 2 wire thermostat and the wires go to the air conditioner, where the control circuit board is that selects if the thermostat controls the a/c or the furnace. While it is possible that mouse damage is the problem, it probably is in the a/c unit's control circuit board.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:01 PM   #3

Welcome to iRV2 , and the vintage Newmar club .

Back in the day , Newmar used the Dutch Star name on , gas and diesel pusher coaches , so I have to ask ; what chassis is your coach built on ?

Ford, Freightliner or Spartan ?

On the diesel pusher chassis I can help , gas chassis not so much .
Old 04-09-2021, 12:20 PM   #4

Freightliner, diesel pusher. Duo-Therm thermostat
Old 04-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiSnowbird View Post
Freightliner, diesel pusher. Duo-Therm thermostat
Does the thermostat have only 2 wires, and a mechanical switch or is it more like the one in this picture?
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #6

First find the rear Newmar fuse panel , mine is next to the 120 volt circuit breaker panel in the bedroom . Test the furnace fuse . Picture 1.

If the furnace fuse is good then two possible places to check for fuses for the T'stat .

Look through the fresh air return vent for the furnace ( it's a wooden grate under the fridge on my coach ) there maybe two inline fuses hanging behind a baffle there . If not there, then some members report these fuses were behind the outside furnace access plate . in the wiring connections there . Picture 2.

I'll check back tonight, please post on your progress
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	324417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.JPG
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	324418  

Old 04-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #7

Fuses in bedroom box are OK. The baffle under the fridge is made out of wood and not sure how to remove it. Hand inspection didn't reveal anything. Your pic 2 doesn't resemble anything that I can see. Pulled outside plate, but can't tell if fuses are there because of metal plate. Info on metal plate shows several fuses and color of wires but will take a bit to identify them and follow their route. It's possible that the circuit board pictured is up with the air conditioner...is that a possibility, as it doesn't resemble what's visible in that outside box. Will follow this lead and gat back to you tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #8

My return air grill has Velcro all around; the frame to the wall ; it does take some pulling to get it off.

I'll track down my furnace and AC owners manuals to see where the t'stat power originates.

Is your t'stat a Dometic four button unit ?
Old 04-09-2021, 06:00 PM   #9

Thanks for responding. Ours doesn't look like this one. It shows from top down: Fan Mode UP Down with Off-On switch underneath. The back of the thermostat has a clip with 2 wires......looks like a phone or computer pinch clip. Very frustrated over this.
Checking out what Skip426 suggested so hope to find something tomorrow after we follow wire in outside box behind heater.. Wondering where the wires end up at the battery boxes Do they run thru the outside electrical hookup box?
Old 04-09-2021, 09:11 PM   #10

Yes and yes it's a 4 button thermostat. I got the vented cover off, but inside is a wooden piece that's in there pretty tight. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiSnowbird View Post
Yes and yes it's a 4 button thermostat. I got the vented cover off, but inside is a wooden piece that's in there pretty tight. Thanks for your help.
If the baffle is the same as mine , it's mounted to the compartment roof with screws (3 ) that are hidden behind it ; a real PITA to remove .
Was there a decal on the baffle saying fuses behind ?

I'll be in the coach later and find my furnace & t'stat paper work and take some pictures .

Did you happen to notice if your furnace was a model ; SF42 . When you had the outside access off?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451.JPG
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	324523  
Old 04-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #12

OK , I need to say I'm sorry about sending you off in perhaps the wrong direction , looking for the fuses in the area of the furnace .

I'd mentioned them to other members before and had them come back with positive results , after replacement .

Now that I have carefully got through the T'stat , furnace and roof air systems manuals , I find my understanding of the control circuits leaves a lot to be desired .

Here's my updated understanding of the system .
The front roof air conditioner , is the master unit ,( I'll assume you have two roof A/C s ) the rear is the slave .
The rear A/C and the T'stat are wired to the master A/C with the , telephone style cables .
The control board of the front A/C supplies the 12 volt power and ground to the T'stat ( through the phone cable ) and issues commands to the furnace and A/C units , depending on the settings of the t'stat.
Air conditioning control, board power has it's own fuse in the rear Newmar panel 7.5 amp .

In another post you said you checked fuses in the rear panel , did you test them all ? With a test light or a voltmeter ?

For my part , after 11 years of owning this coach , I'm still learning , I'd thought that one of the fuses by the furnace was for the t'stat and the other for the water bay booster fan for furnace heat . Looks like ( because they're not labeled ), I'll have to pull the fuses and see what doesn't work .
But that will have to wait for another day , as the wind chill outside is close to freezing , bright sun , but bitter wind.
Forecast is for temperatures in the mid 60's by mid week , got to love April weather.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:18 AM   #13

Most likely the thermostat is bad. I've been in your shoes already twice last year with a 5 button thermostat. I now carry a spare. That being said when my thermostat went out I pulled the cover off the furnace outside and found the two thermostat wires. (As I recall mine were blue) touched them together and the furnace ran. It got us warm but I had to keep going outside to disconnect and reconnect the wires to regulate the heat. It was a pain but we survived 20 degree weather doing that.

Get another thermostat and you most likely will find it broken. When I purchased my second thermostat after the first new one quit I also purchased a new circuit board for the AC. For me, if it happens again I plan to run a mechanical thermostat to the furnace wiring with thermostat inside motorhome for emergency use. I don't like getting up in middle of night and going out into the cold to turn on or turn off the furnace.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #14

OK , in the " Files " drop box ; " Heating and Cooling " section download the ; Duo Therm CCC ; pdf for complete diagnostic info .

Tags
ace, furnace, thermostat