Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Furnace Operation on the Road

Got cold...DUH it is IL and January.

I'm familiar with the practice of firing up the generator to run the AC during the summer. Of course, the AC takes a lot of power.

However...when I run the furnace I notice the fan only uses about 3 amps of power. Is there any reason I can't use the furnace when driving without running the generator?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We run our oasis heating system when on the road in the cold. No problems at all.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #3

If you have a Suburban furnace, it will probably blow out when driving. If you have a HydroHot, just leave the furnace selection on with both electrical and diesel off. The engine will maintain the heat.

Peter
Old 01-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
As a general rule, if it works in the parking lot, it works on the road. I run everything while driving and have had no issues.

Heck, one trip we left in the early morning to meet up with friends. The wife wanted to be ready (dolled up)...I told her we didn't have time to stop if we wanted to be on time. The next thing I knew...it all was very quiet. I looked around quickly and realized that she was in the shower...going down the road at 60MPH

Yes, it all works while driving
Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I really understood my Winnebago electrical capabilities well. I guess the fine point of my question is whether the coach charging system can keep up with the furnace blower running while the generator is off. I would assume so with PLENTY of capacity to spare. Just trying to verify my theory.

What surprised me and lead me to this question was this. I shut down the generator but had forgotten to turn off the furnace. After the generator shut down the furnace kept right on working. I was expecting it to have shut off even though I think that would have been bad with a hot heat exchanger not having the fan cooling it down. So, I guess the coach is smarter than me. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I ran the furnace on my 2002 Bounder going down the road, upon getting to my destination there was some black exhaust marks on the metal cover where the wind must have blown the hot exhaust. It did clean up with some scrubbing. The furnace ran fine.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You could have two different versions of furnace...120V or 12Volt. In either case, my guess is that it is in the range of 40K BTU. If 12 volt it will be pulling about 12 amps DC while running. If 120V it should be pulling about 4-5 amps. Either way you shoould have the capacity to have it running for 15 hours or so without any issues. Plus you have your alternator changing at the same time. No Issues at all.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

All furnace operations are on 12 volt systems. The engine alternator can easily handle it.

Heat pumps require 120 volt and will only (should only) work on shore/genny power.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
To answer you question the ALT will keep up easily. You only draw a few amps. with the furnace and the ALT puts out 65 to 130 AMPS depending on how big of one you have. Jim
Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
All furnace operations are on 12 volt systems. The engine alternator can easily handle it.

Heat pumps require 120 volt and will only (should only) work on shore/genny power.
I have recently been looking at upgrading my furnace. They are available in both 120AC and 12DC. Many of the larger multiple vent units are the A/C version. Been a bit of a sticking point for me...can't decide if I want to rely on my inverter when boondocking....
Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #11

On some rigs, when the slide is in, it can cover up one or more of the heat ducts. That might restrict air flow to the point that the sail switch won't activate, whick will prevent the furnace from igniting. Try it out first before you need it.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #12

We run with the furnace on and it is just fine
Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidej M View Post
We run with the furnace on and it is just fine
X2 and we have four or five vents. Once I have everything running a bit I switch off the furnace and turn on the auxiliary heater and the front heater and use the engine heat for the inside. Just have to remember to turn the furnace back on when we stop.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your furnace will run off the battery system and the BIRD System will be charging the batteries from the engine alternator while your driving.
Couldn't be simpler.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace