Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2010, 06:39 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Rob, I'm glad you solved the immediate problem and now have heat! Hope you are enjoying your Thanksgiving.

007 has pointed you in the right direction. Also, as he mentioned in his last post, there are two different types of electronic Duo-Therm t-stats, one has 4 buttons and the other has 5 buttons. You can find manuals for them at the same site he pointed you to.

If you get to the point of replacing t-stats and control boards you will have to know this. If I understand correctly, there aren't many 4 button t-stats available, but there are some resources I've seen posted recently who rebuild them.

IMHO, a good next step is to confirm that the wiring from the furnace to the heat pump control board is good. You can do this by disconnecting the wires that are connected to the two blue wires from the control box in the A/C unit and shorting those wires together (the wires that were connected to the blue wires go to the furnace, basically one goes to a +12VDC source and the other goes to the wiring that controls the relay you re-installed).

Access to the wiring is from the roof, you will have to remove the cover on the roof (4 screws). If you only have one furnace the wiring will usually go to the Zone 1 heat pump which is usually the front one.

To get to the blue wires you will have to remove a metal cover located on the right side of the roof unit. CAUTION, there is 120VAC present when you do this, make sure your shore power is off while you are working in this section! You should be able to run your furnace with shore power off.

The furnace should start and run with the wires shorted and stop when you open the short. At that point you will know if you have a wiring problem or a control board/t-stat problem.

There is a lot of good troubleshooting info in the manuals as well, I did not notice this particular method but it is probably there.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
It's going to be New Years before we get to somewhere warm enough to check the AC Units so I will just not worry about that problem until then. I am still concerned about where the connection Box is located . I rigged a Phone jack to test the Continuity of the signal wires from the Thermostat to the furnace, there is no continuity on the wires so either something is broken or disconnected . I have a tool to R&R Phone Plugs so will do that as a part of the process of elimination routine.

Thank You to Everyone who has chimed in here so far and especially 007 for the Link to the Manuals!

The saga Will continue!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The signal lines go to the first AC UNIT from DUO-THERM CONTROL than to furnace and other AC's from the first AC as the diagrams D-34, D-37 show in PFD I posted.
People have had problems with the CONTROL units in AC's and DUO-THERM control.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks 007! I got it. Unfortunately it will have to wait until the 10 inches of snow Melts and the Temperature rises . Then I may be able to get up on the Roof to pull the AC Cover. In the meanwhile I have bypassed the Climate Control Center , installed a Simple thermostat and have a Toasty warm RV Once again!
I have Bench tested the CCC it seems to be able to switch ok just isn't getting the correct information from the AC's and the Furnace! Oh well I will just have to be patient.
Thanks for all your help.
Rob