Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fuses for 7 pin receptacle

The tail lights on my toad are not working when connected to my motorhome. The turn signals, brake lights and 4 way flashers work fine. The toad has separate bulbs installed in the tail light housings for use when connected to the motorhome.

I checked for voltage at the connector and have none for the tail lights. Are there fuses between the marker light relay and the connector on the rear of the motorhome? If so, any idea where they are on my vintage rig?

It is a 2003 Mountain Aire 4097.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #2

Bill-

Chassis- Freightliner or Spartan?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wborst,
This is automotive. The fuse would be where the automotive fuses are on your coach. For a Mountain Aire DP this would be the most forward basement compartment (under the driver's window) on the left side. You will need a magnifying glass to read the fuse location and purpose. It may be different for Freightliner and for gas powered Mountain Aires.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wborst View Post
The tail lights on my toad are not working when connected to my motorhome. The turn signals, brake lights and 4 way flashers work fine. The toad has separate bulbs installed in the tail light housings for use when connected to the motorhome.

I checked for voltage at the connector and have none for the tail lights. Are there fuses between the marker light relay and the connector on the rear of the motorhome? If so, any idea where they are on my vintage rig?

It is a 2003 Mountain Aire 4097.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Wborst,
This is automotive. The fuse would be where the automotive fuses are on your coach. For a Mountain Aire DP this would be the most forward basement compartment (under the driver's window) on the left side. You will need a magnifying glass to read the fuse location and purpose. It may be different for Freightliner and for gas powered Mountain Aires.

If you don't find the fuse where Gary told you look in the compartment right behind the right rear wheels. On the 2000 model that's where they are in little black boxes. They may still be there on a 2003.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Bill-

Chassis- Freightliner or Spartan?
Spartan
Old 02-09-2019, 05:32 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Hi Wborst,
The marker fuse on that panel good. That fuse seems to be for the coach marker lights and they are all working. Is there a separate fuse going to the 7 way connector?
Old 02-09-2019, 06:28 AM   #7

Bill-

I looked at the diagrams I have for a 2003 Spartan Mountain Master chassis. They show a three-way splice in the rear harness; one wire to each of the rear marker lights, and a third to a 16-pin connector. Although not shown on the diagrams, I assume that Newmar connected to the 16-pin connector to serve the trailer hitch connector. There are no fuses shown between the rear marker relay output and the splice point.

If your coach's rear marker lights are working, then the next place to look for a problem is inside the coach hitch connector. Before you open the connector up, though, trace the wire bundle forward from the coach hitch connector and see if you can find that 16-pin connector. It should be grey, black or brown, square, and about an inch-and-a-quarter on a side. I suspect it's within four feet of the hitch connector.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wborst,
All I can say is that in the front left basement compartment there are two fuse/relay panels. They are both on the back wall. One is grey. The other is an add on solid state board below and to the right of the grey. The legend for the lower fuse panel is on the right wall. Somewhere in these fuses is the connection for the tail lights. Question:

Do you have the coach head lights turned on when taking the reading at the toad tail lights?

The panel in the electrical bay Rotten-Red mentioned does have some fuses behind the black wall that hides the panel. I have never seen a tail light fuse in this compartment.

You mentioned there are separate lights in the toad taillights for towing. Do you know why?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Hi Wborst,
All I can say is that in the front left basement compartment there are two fuse/relay panels. They are both on the back wall. One is grey. The other is an add on solid state board below and to the right of the grey. The legend for the lower fuse panel is on the right wall. Somewhere in these fuses is the connection for the tail lights. Question:

Do you have the coach head lights turned on when taking the reading at the toad tail lights?

The panel in the electrical bay Rotten-Red mentioned does have some fuses behind the black wall that hides the panel. I have never seen a tail light fuse in this compartment.

You mentioned there are separate lights in the toad taillights for towing. Do you know why?

Yes, the parking lights were on while I was checking for voltage at the 7 way connector.

I had the toad wired with separate bulbs so I wouldn’t have to cut into the car wiring harness. They have been working fine for the last two and a half years.

We have been on the road today. Maybe I will get some time to work on this in the next few days.

Thanks everyone for your input so far. When I find the problem, I will report back.

Bill
Old 02-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well, I finally had a chance to look at the problem with my car tail lights not working. I did some “real” troubleshooting and found the problem to be the connector on the front of my car. It had a bad contact for the taillights. I replaced the connector and all is well. Thank you to all who offered me help. I do appreciate you contributions.

Bill

Tags
fuse, fuses