Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
FWS

Hi gang, my new to me 2014 dutchstar 4364 with fullwall slide is noisy to me when extending and retracting slide. My owners manual states slide needs no lubrication but seeing the rusty cog wheels just begs me to lubricate them. Seems so counter intuitive not to lubricate a moving part. Thoughts??

Carl 2014 dutchstar 4364
2004 American tradition 40w (sold)
2001 dutchstar 38 (sold)
Greenbarn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2013 groaned, squeaked, and shrieked. All normal. Dont lube..fight the urge, it is ok. I learned to trust the sounds meant all was good.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Redbaron, thanks for the reply. I have torqued and loctited all the bolts holding the motors and wanted to be sure there was any other preventative maintenance. But the fullwall slide sure is noisy!!
Old 04-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As long as you dont hear splintering or cracking, you are ok.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I wanted to lube the cog wheels too! Think of it this way....those rounded cog wheels are "biting" into the holes on the track to bring the slide in and out. If you lube the cog wheel, it could possibly slip and not grab the holes. This helped me resist lubing them.

Wax your slide sidewalls, use some slide seal lube and lube all the rubber. Lastly, take an old sock, fill it with baby powder, attach it to a long pole and from both ends, slide it under the slide cover and bang the sock against the slide seals. This keeps them from sticking.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Redbaron73 , did you find any difference between leveling first like it says in my manual or deploying slides first on air bags then levelin with your 2013 dutchstar
Old 04-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Greenbarn1"....We owned a 2014 DS for 5 years. I always tell people to use common sense when leveling. Newmar wants you to open the slides while at ride height, dump the air and then level. The coach slides were installed with it sitting level on the air bags. By opening the slides, you tilt the coach, from the weight, typically to the FWS. Once they're all out, the jacks can then level the entire coach with the weight of the slides where they will be for camping.

With that said, there were occasions where I ended up in a really out of whack site. On those rare occasions, I found that leveling the coach got my reveals (openings between slide and frame) closer to where they should be. Sooooo, sometimes you just have to do what you think is best and less likely to stress the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As DSDon says, common sense applies. All that matters is the reveal. Get to know the gap, and how it relates to your lock inside the coach.

My procedure is as follows. Find campsite, park, and check level with my 24" level I keep in the left side pocket.

This was enough to tell me if I would have wheels leaving the ground or not. Once I was satisfied, I then leveled the coach.

Once coach was level, I would visually observe the slide lock behind driver seat. If it was centered between the 2 screws of the plate, I was 99% certain of a solid reveal. If it hugged the front, I knew I had a problem, and would return to air and adjust position.

Once that is done, I would finally go outside and hookup all connections and visually Inspect all reveals (check the gap around the slide and the house frame).

After that, it was safe to operate slides.

The only time I have ever operated slides before level is at camp newmar. This was done so that I wouldnt have a "proper procedure" lecture.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Redbaron73, if understand correctly you deployed slides after you leveled in most cases.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbarn1 View Post
Redbaron73, if understand correctly you deployed slides after you leveled in most cases.
Yes. The only time I did slides first was at camp newmar. Never any other time.

Same is true with my 2019.

But the most important thing is to check the reveal 100% of the time before extending.

After going to London this summer and riding the subways, I found the perfect moto for this topic.
"Mind the Gap". This means always check the reveal before operating the slide. That is the only thing that matters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41hfbIPSMmL._SX450_.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	241840