Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2018, 11:18 PM   #1

FWS alignment shot

Our FWS is two or three inches out of alignment front to back. I was lucky to get it closed enough to go on the road.

I think it happened one night when I hit the slide control switch when trying to turn on the outside light. I heard a clank which may have been the drive cog skipping a few holes.

Reading through posts on this subject, It looks like I release the trans-torque to isolate the two motors. Straighten the slide then tighten the trans-torque.

Is there more to it than that? How does one straighten the slide? Is there a way to jog the slide motors independently? How about a big pipe wrench on the drive shaft?

Thanks for any suggestions.
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #2

Helped a KA owner with his 2011 FWS not closing on the back side by about 2 inches and the problem was his rear slide out electric motor was weak and needed to be replaced.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakalama View Post
Our FWS is two or three inches out of alignment front to back. I was lucky to get it closed enough to go on the road.

I think it happened one night when I hit the slide control switch when trying to turn on the outside light. I heard a clank which may have been the drive cog skipping a few holes.

Reading through posts on this subject, It looks like I release the trans-torque to isolate the two motors. Straighten the slide then tighten the trans-torque.

Is there more to it than that? How does one straighten the slide? Is there a way to jog the slide motors independently? How about a big pipe wrench on the drive shaft?

Thanks for any suggestions.
I don't have a FWS but have large front slide that works in a similar way. After releasing the trans-torque bushing I used vice grips to turn the shaft, doesn't take much. I had no room for a pipe wrench. I was able to turn the shaft with one hand and a very small movement moves the slide a considerable distance. You will need a crows foot wrench with a long 1/2" breaker bar to release the bearing nut and to use a torque wrench to tighten it after...got mine off Amazon for a few bucks...good luck
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I had that problem. Cranked it in once with the rods and it never went crooked again. For a few inches I’d try that first
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
The fix seems fairly straightforward. But, what causes them to slip a cog like this in the first place? Anything that can be done to prevent it from happening?
Old 05-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #6

>> Anything that can be done to prevent it from happening?

I never had a problem with the FWS before this. I (almost) always run the slide out while still aired up and after checking the gaps. I believe this is the key.

We were parked in a spot for a couple of months over the winter. I think the jacks had settled in some twisting the coach. I'd noticed some of the doors not closing properly.

Like an idiot, I hit the control switch for the FWS. I meant to be turning on the outside light. The switches are one above the other. When I did this, the coach was not aired up and was twisted as well.

I'm going to make a little cover that has to be lifted to access the slide switches. Hopefully it will remind me to pay attention when operating the slides.
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote