Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
FWS Story

I was preparing to leave an overnight stop in a rest area in Kentucky in my ‘20 LA. The Coach had been air-leveled with no jacks for the night. I aired up the coach and brought her back to travel mode. Only then did I start to bring in the FWS. As the slide started to lift, something caught the metal strip that acts as the edge of the tile installation on the main floor. The ensuing cracking and exploding tiles along the edge was startling and a little heartbreaking. After several consults with Newmar CS, I cleared out the mess with a hammer and pliers, vacuumed up the coach as tile fragments flew everywhere and after a couple hours was able to get the slide in and get out of that rest area.

Newmar CS “never heard of this happening before”. Hmmm.

So it’s off to Nappanee when I can, (750 miles one way) and probably a week there, pets in a care facility and I’m sure a hotel or two. Warranties don’t really cover the whole cost, do they?

Now, don’t misunderstand me. This is my second Newmar DP and I’m generally very pleased with the brand. Just relating my issue for the record.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6536.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	291204Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6550.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	291205
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #2

If you brought in the FWS as recommended, and it sounds like you did, I don't see why it wouldn't be covered. After all it is a 2020.
I would look under the slide to make sure there is not something under it that may have caused the problem. I found a few things under there that were left during construction.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
FWS Story

John - By my saying not everything is covered under warranties, I meant all the extras; fuel, time, miles etc. I never meant to say Newmar wouldn’t cover this mess.they have already agreed to it. I should’ve been more clear.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #4

Good to hear they are covering the tile. Sorry I misinterpreted your post.
It would be nice if they helped with the other expenses. They add up quickly.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Dang. Sorry for the trouble. A 2020 LADP is a really nice coach.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would hit them up for some of the expenses. Your argument would be that you couldn't have it fixed locally and were forced to take it to the factory.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Don - Do you really think They’d entertain that request?
It really is a PITA for us. And wallet too...

Old 06-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I would at least keep a record of your other expenses & submit them with what I call a "honey letter". By "honey" I mean, be nice in stating your case. Don't be angry, threatening or demanding but do let them know how inconvenienced you were by this. You won't know until you try & all they can do is say no.

I did the same thing with Tiffin on an issue I had, & Bob covered the entire repair. Our coach was out of warranty & we're the 2nd owners to boot.

Hopefully Newmar will make it right for you as well.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #9

X2 on those that advocate that you document expenses along with receipts when you go to Nappanee. You may be surprised about what they do for you.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
The worst part is I can’t use the slide until the issue is resolved. We can’t go until September due to our schedule so it’s garaged until then.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #11
Rd1

RVRON,

If I understand you correctly, during FWS closing, as the fws lifts up, the fws-subfloor, lifted the main floor, causing the damage?

I had same issue on a 17ladp, just a few weeks after delivery, in fact while in camp newmar, early am heading to bldg 42 for other repairs. That little shunt busted up so many tiles on the main floor, that took most of the week just to remove the broken tiles, due to the heating floor elements. It is a very painful and tedious work to remove tiles of main floor.

my understanding is, newmar changed the process for fws opening at some point. do not know when. you should be able to open fws with the engine running, correct? in the earlier version, fws can not be opened with engine running. only for closure, the engine may be on.

The problem, 'as I understand it' is, while opening the fws, hwh requires sufficient voltage, not amp as the other slides do. if the batt V drops low enough, the hwh will not be able to push the fws all the way out. it may be just a few mm, shy of max. hence during closing, while fws lifts up, it may run into the main floor.

the question on your case would be, if the batt wasn't charging at that moment as fws traveled out. or if some adjustment on fws is slightly of. They should be able to figure that one out.

Another point, when they inspect the damaged main floor, make sure the plywood under the broken floor tiles is also inspected. if that plywood is cracked and not secured, even with new tiles, as you walk over that part, you will hear cracking noise. I know they won't be able to replace that, but, if possible, at least secure the cracked portion, if there is a way,
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
FWS Story

Rd1 - I think you understand exactly what happened.

The interesting thing is that after the first incident in KY, I moved. up to our reservation in OH and I was certain there were no obstructions, so I put the FWS out again (no issues or rubbing etc). But...5 days later when I started to retract the slide, it picked up more of the tile with the same disastrous results.

I CAN open/close slides with the key off. I don’t remember exactly whether I did have the engine on or not on these occasions.
If there is an issue with the HWH mechanism and minimum voltage, it would seem Newmar should report that to owners.

I had an ‘09 Monaco and if 12V minimum wasn’t present, the slide wouldn’t run (it was hydraulic).

Your theory sounds right. And really it’s something like that or a misadjustment or something came loose (I couldn’t see anything). Any way you slice it, she has to go back to Nappanee.

I’m anxious to learn exactly what the heck is going on.

Thank you for your observations and suggestions. I will definitely keep them in mind.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #13
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRon View Post

If there is an issue with the HWH mechanism and minimum voltage, it would seem Newmar should report that to owners.

If you pickup the coach at newmar, they would/should have covered it. if p/u at dealer, they'd likely not know or miss..

the hwh does require above 12v on house batt, while operating. next time operating the fws, monitor the silver leaf screen and watch the house BATT V drop, usually around 1.5V, and it builds up, as the slide moves out. suggest you consider running the engine for the fws operations.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #14

In my year (2016), I can only operate with engine off. That being said, my HWH side is wired to the chassis battery. I was trained during factory pickup that it is critical to ensure the charge bridge is engaged before operating the HWH slide, so either on shore power or generator.
To that end, I turn on headlights to force the bridge, then operate the slide. If the bridge is not engaged, the chassis batteries drop to 11 volts while in operation and I run the risk of the slide not traveling the full distance before the vertical movement