Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 06:33 AM   #1

FWS topper awning damage

Camping in our 2014 DS in SD last week a severe thunderstorm popped up at 2:30am, the awning was already extending and contracting under tension as designed in the wind, I was retracting couch to pull slide in but was too late, awning unraveled to its stop twice then broke loose at both ends and now the roller tube was beating top of roof in the wind. After repairs are made I think in the future I will retract awning anytime it starts to bellow. Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any ideas. It ripped the aluminum trim from the top of the slide out completely off at each end for about 3ft. I will post pictures if I can figure how to.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I will bring my living room slide in half way to keep the slide topper from ripping in heavy winds.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:14 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your mishap! We had something similar happen to our CS last year in Amarillo.

On our coach, the slide topper bracket was attached to the trim piece that runs the length of the top of the slide wall. An "L" bracket attaches this trim piece to the slide. The wind was sufficient to pull out the screws holding the "L" bracket for a couple of feet at the rear end of the slide.

We had Newmar make the repair. They told us that, on the 2015 CS coaches, the slide topper bracket is no longer attached to the trim piece. Instead it attaches directly to the slide wall. This should be stronger. They retrofitted our coach to this new approach.

We haven't had a problem since. In windy areas, I try to position the coach to protect the FWS. If I can't, and the wind gets gusty, say above 35 mph, we now bring in the slide.

David
Old 06-24-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
I will bring my living room slide in half way to keep the slide topper from ripping in heavy winds.
Are you fully sealed at 1/2 in? I once considered that on my non-FWS but there were enough small gaps I just pulled all the way in.

BTW...on that subject, you might consider rolling up any of the longer window awnings. Over the course of time I have found strong winds will cause the material to slide to one side or the other. They will also really shake enough to make me nervous. I think it is the long distance from the pull down strap to the arms that allows it to do this. I don't see that so much on my shorter window awning.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #5

My Bounder FWS topper was always flapping in the wind. I would have to pull it in during gusty winds. I replaced it with a Carefree awning that has a gust protective cover and now no more flapping. Expensive but worth it. It is probably the same topper that the Mountain Aire uses.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Sky Boss,
No, I'm not sealed. But with just wind all I want to do is save my slide topper. Now if we're talking about a thunderstorm or heavy rain/wind then I'll bring the slide in.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

Thanks for the ideas those are all helpful!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #8

We bring ours in anytime we hear it start bellowing.

A 27' awning can catch a lot of air.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:48 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
We bring ours in anytime we hear it start bellowing.

A 27' awning can catch a lot of air.

Same here.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4347, Active Air
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #10

Centerfire must have been in the Badlands. I can attest that the winds were pretty terrific. Wind gusts up to 90mph according to weather alert. I was amazed that some of the smaller 5th weeks in the park did not turn over.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:39 AM   #11

Hey DavidP,Selah yes we were in western South Dakota and David thanks for the tip on the 2015 bracket, went and looked and when my repairs are made they said they can attach the new awning to the slide instead of trim so that will be a nice upgrade, thanks again for great advice.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
My Bounder FWS topper was always flapping in the wind. I would have to pull it in during gusty winds. I replaced it with a Carefree awning that has a gust protective cover and now no more flapping. Ho but worth it. It is probably the same topper that the Mountain Aire uses.
Can you share more about the gust protective covers?

Tags
awning