RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
FWS Topper Out of Center Brace

I've not noted this before. Currently we are parked with the FWS facing south. The winds over that last couple weeks have often been strong out of the southerly directions. I've even seen it pop out of that center brace with a "gust" around 15 mph.

I have seen the topper billowing with moderate winds and think it might be too loose. I've also seen the center of the topper laying flat on the slide top even when there is only a small amount of water on it. That also makes me wonder if the topper is too loose. However, I'm not sure that is the major reason for the roller to pop out of the brace.

Now, I've only had this FWS coach for about 9 months and this last couple weeks have been worst wind we have encountered. Still, I would think I could leave the side out for winds up to about 25 mph or a tad more.

Any thoughts or experience with this? Am I expecting too much?

Signed...sitting in my RV with the FWS pulled in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FWS Topper Problem.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	243143  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I've not noted this before. Currently we are parked with the FWS facing south. The winds over that last couple weeks have often been strong out of the southerly directions. I've even seen it pop out of that center brace with a "gust" around 15 mph.

I have seen the topper billowing with moderate winds and think it might be too loose. I've also seen the center of the topper laying flat on the slide top even when there is only a small amount of water on it. That also makes me wonder if the topper is too loose. However, I'm not sure that is the major reason for the roller to pop out of the brace.

Now, I've only had this FWS coach for about 9 months and this last couple weeks have been worst wind we have encountered. Still, I would think I could leave the side out for winds up to about 25 mph or a tad more.

Any thoughts or experience with this? Am I expecting too much?

Signed...sitting in my RV with the FWS pulled in.
Just an adjustment, easy fix. Saying that, you will need a sturdy ladder and proper socket. I would bring the slide in before starting. I just had my 27 foot topper off a couple of weeks ago on the large slide. I also laid on top of coach to put middle of topper back in bracket, then went to ladder and reinstalled a thin cross bolt, that in mine, locks topper in place.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder4 View Post
Just an adjustment, easy fix. Saying that, you will need a sturdy ladder and proper socket. I would bring the slide in before starting. I just had my 27 foot topper off a couple of weeks ago on the large slide. I also laid on top of coach to put middle of topper back in bracket, then went to ladder and reinstalled a thin cross bolt, that in mine, locks topper in place.
I'm not sure I am following. I think all the hardware is properly in place.

The topper will go back onto the support when I bring the slide in. It comes out when the wind is coming from that side of the coach. FWIW, it appears that the roller pops out with about 15 mph wind directly at it. That seems a bit touchy to me.

I talked with Dometic and they are thinking it is possible that because the topper is loose that it actually is pulling upwards causing the roller to lift up out of the support. I'm not so sure but I do think the topper is too loose. I'm working on getting that issue corrected and see if this problem continues.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Sky Boss".....if you're at a spot for awhile and continue to have wind issues. Look for an inflatable pool toy the size of the opening between the slide out roof and the topper. Inflate it and shove it in the end that the wind is entering.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm not sure I am following. I think all the hardware is properly in place.

The topper will go back onto the support when I bring the slide in. It comes out when the wind is coming from that side of the coach. FWIW, it appears that the roller pops out with about 15 mph wind directly at it. That seems a bit touchy to me.

I talked with Dometic and they are thinking it is possible that because the topper is loose that it actually is pulling upwards causing the roller to lift up out of the support. I'm not so sure but I do think the topper is too loose. I'm working on getting that issue corrected and see if this problem continues.
My topper does not pop out like yours. The bracket on mine will not let the topper come out.

When I was trying to take topper off, I could not pop the topper thru holding bracket. It was not until I took off a horizontal bar/sleeve, that I could finally pull away support bracket for removal. This then allowed me to work topper end caps for entire removal.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #6

Mine did just like the picture in post #1. It's not a FWS but is a long slide. It bent the topper mounting brackets so that the topper would not properly rest on the cradle anymore. I had to replace the brackets on each end of the topper roller.

hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace