RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,844
FWS Topper Out of Center Brace

I've not noted this before. Currently we are parked with the FWS facing south. The winds over that last couple weeks have often been strong out of the southerly directions. I've even seen it pop out of that center brace with a "gust" around 15 mph.

I have seen the topper billowing with moderate winds and think it might be too loose. I've also seen the center of the topper laying flat on the slide top even when there is only a small amount of water on it. That also makes me wonder if the topper is too loose. However, I'm not sure that is the major reason for the roller to pop out of the brace.

Now, I've only had this FWS coach for about 9 months and this last couple weeks have been worst wind we have encountered. Still, I would think I could leave the side out for winds up to about 25 mph or a tad more.

Any thoughts or experience with this? Am I expecting too much?

Signed...sitting in my RV with the FWS pulled in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FWS Topper Problem.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	243143  
__________________

__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 2015 DSDP 4320 4369, FL Chassis, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Sidewinder4's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I've not noted this before. Currently we are parked with the FWS facing south. The winds over that last couple weeks have often been strong out of the southerly directions. I've even seen it pop out of that center brace with a "gust" around 15 mph.

I have seen the topper billowing with moderate winds and think it might be too loose. I've also seen the center of the topper laying flat on the slide top even when there is only a small amount of water on it. That also makes me wonder if the topper is too loose. However, I'm not sure that is the major reason for the roller to pop out of the brace.

Now, I've only had this FWS coach for about 9 months and this last couple weeks have been worst wind we have encountered. Still, I would think I could leave the side out for winds up to about 25 mph or a tad more.

Any thoughts or experience with this? Am I expecting too much?

Signed...sitting in my RV with the FWS pulled in.
Just an adjustment, easy fix. Saying that, you will need a sturdy ladder and proper socket. I would bring the slide in before starting. I just had my 27 foot topper off a couple of weeks ago on the large slide. I also laid on top of coach to put middle of topper back in bracket, then went to ladder and reinstalled a thin cross bolt, that in mine, locks topper in place.
__________________

__________________
Terry & Kathy
2012 Dutch Star DP 4346
Sidewinder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder4 View Post
Just an adjustment, easy fix. Saying that, you will need a sturdy ladder and proper socket. I would bring the slide in before starting. I just had my 27 foot topper off a couple of weeks ago on the large slide. I also laid on top of coach to put middle of topper back in bracket, then went to ladder and reinstalled a thin cross bolt, that in mine, locks topper in place.
I'm not sure I am following. I think all the hardware is properly in place.

The topper will go back onto the support when I bring the slide in. It comes out when the wind is coming from that side of the coach. FWIW, it appears that the roller pops out with about 15 mph wind directly at it. That seems a bit touchy to me.

I talked with Dometic and they are thinking it is possible that because the topper is loose that it actually is pulling upwards causing the roller to lift up out of the support. I'm not so sure but I do think the topper is too loose. I'm working on getting that issue corrected and see if this problem continues.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 2015 DSDP 4320 4369, FL Chassis, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 14,950
"Sky Boss".....if you're at a spot for awhile and continue to have wind issues. Look for an inflatable pool toy the size of the opening between the slide out roof and the topper. Inflate it and shove it in the end that the wind is entering.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Sidewinder4's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm not sure I am following. I think all the hardware is properly in place.

The topper will go back onto the support when I bring the slide in. It comes out when the wind is coming from that side of the coach. FWIW, it appears that the roller pops out with about 15 mph wind directly at it. That seems a bit touchy to me.

I talked with Dometic and they are thinking it is possible that because the topper is loose that it actually is pulling upwards causing the roller to lift up out of the support. I'm not so sure but I do think the topper is too loose. I'm working on getting that issue corrected and see if this problem continues.
My topper does not pop out like yours. The bracket on mine will not let the topper come out.

When I was trying to take topper off, I could not pop the topper thru holding bracket. It was not until I took off a horizontal bar/sleeve, that I could finally pull away support bracket for removal. This then allowed me to work topper end caps for entire removal.
__________________
Terry & Kathy
2012 Dutch Star DP 4346
Sidewinder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
hohenwald48's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, TN area
Posts: 3,358
Mine did just like the picture in post #1. It's not a FWS but is a long slide. It bent the topper mounting brackets so that the topper would not properly rest on the cradle anymore. I had to replace the brackets on each end of the topper roller.
__________________

__________________
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627 on a 2018 F-53 26K chassis w/6 speed transmission
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU with Ready Brute tow system
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ace



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locking FWS topper awning roller? Tranquil Jim Newmar Owner's Forum 4 04-28-2016 04:34 PM
Replacement for FWS Topper Jeff426 Newmar Owner's Forum 7 10-02-2015 04:32 AM
FWS topper awning damage Centerfire Newmar Owner's Forum 11 06-25-2015 12:20 PM
Water pools on FWS topper Rick in sc. Newmar Owner's Forum 9 10-18-2014 03:22 PM
A & E awning center brace Steve N Sal RV Systems & Appliances 2 06-10-2010 05:34 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×