Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #1

FYI: Slide out motor bolts

Just got off phone with Newmar concerning previous recall and was told we were up to date.
Was told about two Tech Service Bulletins 462/472 that Newmar sent out concerning the slide out motor bolts issue. Was told to bring coach in for service and they will pull bolts out of slide out motors, put lock tight on them and torque them back up at no cost to owner.
While we were at Region 5 Rally, back in October, in Citra, FL, Gary Smith, our Region 5 Director introduced Bob Hadley, Region 7 Director who talked about this. Bob made the rounds to coach's in attendance and Bob, tightened up several bolts on our 2015 DSDP.
Going to make appointment for service.
''The best part of any journey is the people we meet along the way''
Spirit2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmharrop View Post
Just got off phone with Newmar concerning previous recall and was told we were up to date.
Was told about two Tech Service Bulletins 462/472 that Newmar sent out concerning the slide out motor bolts issue. Was told to bring coach in for service and they will pull bolts out of slide out motors, put lock tight on them and torque them back up at no cost to owner.
While we were at Region 5 Rally, back in October, in Citra, FL, Gary Smith, our Region 5 Director introduced Bob Hadley, Region 7 Director who talked about this. Bob made the rounds to coach's in attendance and Bob, tightened up several bolts on our 2015 DSDP.
Going to make appointment for service.
Great information, and again proof how valuable this forum is. I went to COMNET and found the bulletins you reference (slight correction, its 466/472..not sure why there are two, they seem identical). Have had my slides looked at a few times and was planning to get into the bedroom slide myself when I saw this. Will be taking it in for service. Thanks for posting!
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #3

I believe 466 only referred to bed slides, 472 includes all slides.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have both of these on my list for work in January. Problem has been arround for a while, but now a TSB
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Really disappointed with Newmar... They issue a TSB for 3 model years... Which suggests the issue is ONLY resident to those model years... The REALITY is, the issue is resident in ALL MODEL YEARS with electric slide outs... Take a look at this link... The photo of the broken motor in the first post is ours... On a 2011 Essex!! Read through the posts and look at the model years with the SAME ISSUE!! In lieu of acknowledging a "systemic design flaw" Newmar opted to limit their liability...
Old 12-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you Ken,
I checked mine after reading your original post. None of the bolts were finger loose but they all required tightening! I keep a closer eye on them now. Your post no doubt saved me some trouble and expense.
Thanks again.

Cheers
Old 12-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The early 2000 -2005 never heard of bolt problems its the late 2010 to present that they have shown up.
When I post the TSB thread I said that members should look ahead and back years in the TSB'S you may pick up something you might of had trouble with.
At least you have information to work from some thing that was not in existence years ago.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Same problem found in 2008 and 2007 coaches.one is mine another a traveling buddy.mine was more than loose. One bolt was backed out and bent and had to replace the bolt.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #9

Tech at Newmar year or two ago recommended checking bolts spring and fall for tightness. They also did locktite on my last service trip.
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #10

This is so flat out simple to do yourself, I hardly think it is worth the fuel or time to go to a dealer. Besides which, you will do a better job yourself.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
This is so flat out simple to do yourself, I hardly think it is worth the fuel or time to go to a dealer. Besides which, you will do a better job yourself.
That's true a simple job for you and I but maybe they just want to get back to NEWMAR COUNTRY.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out