Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2021, 04:22 PM   #1

Garage door height required

The factory specs on my 2105 Essex list it's ride height at approx 13'4" ...

Question: With the air suspension deflated - will this this coach fit through a 13 foot opening? I appreciate any insights based upon first hand experiences. Go or no-go?

It is really hard to accurately measure the actual coach height within a couple of inches, using standard equipment.

Thanks!
Mike
Long Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2021, 04:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Spur View Post

Question: With the air suspension deflated - will this this coach fit through a 13 foot opening? I appreciate any insights based upon first hand experiences. Go or no-go?

It is really hard to accurately measure the actual coach height within a couple of inches, using standard equipment.

Thanks!
Mike
Go with 14' and don't worry about it. If you went 13' you would have to buy 14' lumber and cut it down anyway. Odd dimensions are more difficult to deal with.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #3

Expensive piece of equipment. I am absolutely sure I would not try that with my coach. If the garage door slips down a little or you have a slight grade to go up then, bad and expensive things will happen. I would not go with less than a true 14’ opening. I have a 16’ opening in my garage and feel much better than the previous garage with the 14’ door.

My Dutch Star is 13’2” and I would think your coach is the same.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #4

What I am actually dealing with- is a possible indoor storage option that is a couple of miles away. They have a pole building that has 13 foot of clearance on their doors.

My doors on barns and buildings at my farm are at 11 and 12 foot ... so I am hopeful that I can squeeze this rig through a 13 foot door.
-Mike
Long Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not trying to be a smart ass but, get the coach aired up, measure to the top of the wheel well or some other fixed point like a marker light. Air the coach down and measure again. If less than 4 inches you know for sure its not going to fit if the 13'4" is accurate from Newmar.

Ive also read that others take a length of 2x4 or pipe up on the roof and hold it across the highest points (like the top of the AC or satellite) and having it hang over the side in view of the ground. Then a person on the ground takes a tape measure to the bottom of 2x4 or pipe to get the height of the highest point. You might have to do this in several locations if not sure which point is actually the highest on the coach.

Hope this helps... Good luck!
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #6

2 options...
1. get out the tape measure.... park on a sloped or level (match the storage unit) measure it.... after dropping the couple of inches... then assuming it will fit, put it in high gear and go "yee hah"

2. don't bother measuring... you can eye ball those things real good... open your vents and leave the antennae up to whatever level you occasionally leave it at... and drive in the door real slow.... slide your front windows open and listen carefully... if you don't hear nothing, all is great... if you do, it won't cost much to replace a vent cover or a/c housing!

bonus option...
my door is 14 and i've just got a gasser.... it sure looks close when i eyeball it.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
What I am actually dealing with- is a possible indoor storage option that is a couple of miles away. They have a pole building that has 13 foot of clearance on their doors.

My doors on barns and buildings at my farm are at 11 and 12 foot ... so I am hopeful that I can squeeze this rig through a 13 foot door.
-Mike

Can you place a board 2x4 across the top and then measure to the ground?
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:02 PM   #8

AZ RV'r. Using a level on the 2x4 helps get a more accurate measurement.

And to the OP. If it does fit aired down make sure you have a straight shot through the door. Turning the front wheels aired down can damage the wheelwells
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post

And to the OP. If it does fit aired down make sure you have a straight shot through the door. Turning the front wheels aired down can damage the wheelwells

I agree with everything in this statement above....

I don't want to say I thought the level was a given but I guess in todays society you must always state the most minuscule details. You were right to call me out on not having it in my earlier post.

And you are also right to add that the OP should not turn the wheels when aired down.
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:26 PM   #10

Be careful if there is a sloped ramp into the door. That angle could alter the measurement.
GrantR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post

+2 that is what we did. got the later out and used a level and tape measure. We found the unit 3 inchs lower then spec. We think that was a safty margin.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:12 PM   #12

Quote:

Thanks!

Mike

I have a 2016 Dutch Star. My storage building has a 13 foot sectional door. To get the coach in I need to wedge the sectional door back with a long 2x4 to move the door back to full open. This increases the opening height a few inches which allows the coach in the building without dropping the air suspension.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:32 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:

-Mike
Time to get out the tape measure and personally check the height of BOTH the storage facility door AND the coach...carefully. You may find that the “13-foot” door is actually a few inches less or more than advertised. And, you do want an accurate measurement on the high point of the coach; it might be a bit less or more than stated by the manufacturer.

Armed with accurate measurements, you can then make some informed decisions. Personally, I would not use a storage facility where I had to dump the air bags to gain clearance. Way too much opportunity to make a very expensive mistake.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:39 AM   #14

IMHO I would rather store my coach outdoors than go through some type of procedure each and every time that I have to move the coach in and out of storage.
What if you forget to keep the coach aired down when leaving the garage? What if you forget that your not supposed to turn the wheel when aired down? What if for some reason the coach at some point doesn’t air down as far as it did the last time?
There appears to be all kinds of bad and expensive things that could happen playing the 13’ garage door game. Ultimately, it’s your coach and your money.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door