Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #1

Garage floor replacement in Canyon Star 3921

I have a 2014 Canyon Star 3921 toy hauler which has the 10' garage in the rear of the coach. I did not notice it when I purchased it but, there is a spongy-ness to much of the garage floor. I took it to three places to tell me the problem and give me an estimate. They said the floor is rotted (which I suspected) and would need to be replaced. Estimates were anywhere from $4500 for a partial replacement to $7500 for a full replacement. I'm told they will need to take the rear door off and pull off all the rotted wood and replace it. Now I'm not sure why that is that expensive a job but, that's beside the point. After thinking about it, however, I wondered if it would be possible to simply lay new 3/4" plywood directly on top and fasten it somehow and cover it with a new piece of rubber. I ran that by my RV servicer and he could not think of any idea why it couldn't be done but, would have to think about it a bit. Just want to hear from anyone who has any thoughts, opinions, comments, etc. about it. Appreciate your responses.
Jay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #2

The biggest downside I can think of is the additional weight you are adding which will come out of your CCC weight limit. What thickness plywood are you considering?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #3

Yea, I thought about the weight but, dismissed it. A 3/4" sheet of plywood weighs about 70 lbs. It would take just over three sheets to cover it. That's 210 lbs. Including a rubber mat it might add 300 lbs. total. Payload capacity is 4350 lbs. So, not too big a deal IMO. But, thank you for your input.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have had others that washing the floor could allow water through the seams of floor covering damaging the wood floor.
If it has rubber mats I would remove and save and screw a 1/2" floor down, maybe trying a screw first and see how it wholes in the delineated floor, hopefully its just the top surface of floor, place the rubber mats and maybe use a rubber sealant along the seams of the mats.
If there are compartments under the garage check for floor thickness for screw lengths to use, no long screws in case something may run under floor area.
DIY and save money.
I would check the floor under compartments and see if there is water damage also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #5

After watching the morning tour I don't think they vary the flooring modular build (other than top covering) that they "fly" in, other than floor plan changes , i.e. holes, etc - the module they fly in is still the length of the coach and framed the same way.
That being said, if you decide to do it yourself, remove thin layers of the added plywood until you can get to the modular floor top. Then rebuild the top layer. Might want to consider laying vinyl floor on top and bring it up the walls 3" so you can mop it or clean it, other than with a hose.
Maybe Rhino line the garage and up the walls a foot?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Having had a 2015 CS3921 for 4 seasons I think I know the construction to a degree. I was always disappointed in how the rear door hinge had some daylight cracks. But water never got in there even when driving in the rain.

Can you share how the floor rotted? On mine the diamond pattern vinyl floor covering was one piece and it went up the sides about a foot. The only penetrations were the screws for the hold down track and the optional table legs.

Did yours rot from above, below, or ....

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay P View Post
I have a 2014 Canyon Star 3921 toy hauler which has the 10' garage in the rear of the coach. I did not notice it when I purchased it but, there is a spongy-ness to much of the garage floor. I took it to three places to tell me the problem and give me an estimate. They said the floor is rotted (which I suspected) and would need to be replaced. Estimates were anywhere from $4500 for a partial replacement to $7500 for a full replacement. I'm told they will need to take the rear door off and pull off all the rotted wood and replace it. Now I'm not sure why that is that expensive a job but, that's beside the point. After thinking about it, however, I wondered if it would be possible to simply lay new 3/4" plywood directly on top and fasten it somehow and cover it with a new piece of rubber. I ran that by my RV servicer and he could not think of any idea why it couldn't be done but, would have to think about it a bit. Just want to hear from anyone who has any thoughts, opinions, comments, etc. about it. Appreciate your responses.

You would still have a wet , rotting floor, underneath it all.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #8

Thank you, all, for the replies. I don't really know how the water got in since I bought it used. One service center said they think it was water from the road being thrown up. If that was the case why isn't the whole floor like that. And, I see no evidence of water intrusion from the roof. My theory is that whoever owned it before me hosed out the inside. I just talked to Newmar a few moments ago about it. They sort of indicated that it can be done although they recommend (and I'm not surprised they would) I just replace the original floor. They did remind me that if I did simply put a new floor on top that I would have to replace/move the tie down rails that are in there as well. The rails are anchored into the frame which would provide a lot of points to tie the floor to.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #9

Jay, you might think about having the floor replaced by Newmar during the winter - they discount the labor rate. Here is a quote from an email I received from their estimator:
Quote:
FYI///////// our Winter discount labor rate is $106.00 January 1-March 31 and Summer rate is $131.00

No one can replace it better than the people that built it.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, canyon star, floor, replace, replacement