Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
GARMIN 890 GPS Wrong

Just curious.

We have the 890 which does a great job of warning of decent, railroad tracks, slow zones etc. But a terrible job of navigating, because it keeps saying roads are closed. Has happened many times already. Given where we travel, the delta can be large (today in was 272 miles).

Seems to be the traffic option, but now I'm back to using my phone since Garmin doesn't ask if its correct, and just says "Road Closed...". Garmin website useless.

Anyone else have this experience? Should I turn off real-time traffic?
mtflybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I’ve experienced this twice on my current trip. The most recent one was just over a week ago when traveling eastbound on I80. The Garmin 780 was telling me that I80 was closed east of I25 (Cheyenne, WY) and it wanted to divert me a significant way down I25 and then east on I76 and then back to I80.

After checking Waze and Google Maps (and given the lack of any signs indicating closure), I proceeded east on I80. The east bound lanes were technically closed, but one lane was routed onto the westbound lanes and all was well (except for the high winds which was noticeable as each tractor trailer passed).

I have not opened any type of trouble ticket with Garmin.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Yes every time we have had this issue, the Garmin incorrectly interprets construction as closed.

I opened a ticket with Garmin. Will revert when I hear back.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:16 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the 890 and have problems with the telling us to exit the highway then cross over and get back on the same highway we just exited. This is on major highways like I70, I35 and I10 and there not low clearance that trying to avoid.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #5

I have the Garmin RV 1090 (same computer as 890 with bigger screen). I’ve had several bad experiences with this GPS. It told me to turn into a residential neighborhood off a major road only to take U-turn and go back, it directed me to a road that strictly prohibits trucks/RVs, and directed me down a one-way street going the wrong way. When I tried contacting Garmin, no response.

It’s really frustrating because this unit has so many good features too. Aaaaahhhh!
Old 10-08-2021, 08:50 PM   #6

I started using GPSs when they first came out (many many years ago). They are not perfect and never have been. These days, I always know my route and no longer fall for its little gotchas. If the GPS says to get off of the highway, I will check google maps. When in doubt, follow the truckers.
- B
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #7

I agree with brokedown. Truckers atlas first, Garmin second, follow big trucks if not sure.
Yesterday, Garmin wanted us East on I-70, we were traveling West. Then I-465 N/W, we were heading South to I-65. I think it wanted us to make a U turn to get back on….really? There was a fair amount of road construction but no closings.Follow the trucks…
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:55 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
I agree with brokedown. Truckers atlas first, Garmin second, follow big trucks if not sure.
Yesterday, Garmin wanted us East on I-70, we were traveling West. Then I-465 N/W, we were heading South to I-65. I think it wanted us to make a U turn to get back on….really? There was a fair amount of road construction but no closings.Follow the trucks…

Was that at Indianapolis? I70 is closed in downtown Indianapolis, and the bypass (495) was a bit confusing. I went through yesterday.

Also, I agree with you order of map resources, unfortunately the atlas doesn’t tell you if the road is closed. So the Garmin moves up in the list, until it tries to divert you.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:30 AM   #9

For people complaining the Garmin RV GPS routing problem, was your gps connectted to your phone to get current traffic conditions? If yes, have you tried not connecting it to your phone?
deeperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:56 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes, the navigation unit was connected to the Garmin Drive application on my phone and yes, when I terminated the app and selected my destination again, the navigation unit did not attempt to route me on an alternate route to avoid the supposed road closure.

The navigation is unit is operating as I would expect it to, the problem appears to merely be the bad road closure / constriction data that the Garmin Drive app is being fed by Garmin’s servers.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
Was that at Indianapolis? I70 is closed in downtown Indianapolis, and the bypass (495) was a bit confusing. I went through yesterday.
We were in Indianapolis yesterday too. We took I70 into the city to grab a bite to eat... Having spent time in and around Portland and Seattle this summer, it was great to see that the mess they made in those cities has not spread to all big cities.

-B
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I pointed Garmin Tech support to this thread as part of my feedback, so any others with tech issues may want to post.

I agree the issue some of us have seems to be the Live Traffic feed quality vs the Garmin GPS mapping software.

No resolution yet.

Additionally, since the app is tied to the internet, some ability to use it to decline route changes would be a great feature.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:54 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the 890. The main problem I’ve had with it is that it will suddenly go off on an entirely different trip, usually after I have stopped for something like gas or lunch. Sometimes it tries to turn me around and take me home. If I cancel the trip and re-enter the destination, that does take care of it. Just to be safe, I pull up the same route on my phone as a backup do that I don’t go off the wrong way.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #14

No problem with my Garmin RV785

My Garmin RV785 has not experienced the problem of saying a road is closed when it is not. And that's over the last 2.5 years of full-timing.
FWIW, I have an older Garmin 3590 that I run side-by-side with the RV785. While the 3590 tries to run me places that my rig is too heavy, too wide, or too long for, as a general statement, it is pretty accurate with getting me to my destination. While I use it primarily to look for other things along the way so as not to disturb my RV785, I do check for disparities between the 2 and if there were one, I would take a minute and see what the cause is. I can also check the route on Google Maps, which gives me a non-Garmin view of things.
My point is not to rely on only on source.
FullTime2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps