RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Gas Gauge Mystery

We have a 2016 VTDP. About 8 months ago, after filling up with diesel and after driving for a few miles, the gas gauge needle suddenly dropped to empty and a low fuel alarm went off at the dash. The engine continued to run fine. Then, just as suddenly, the gauge returned to the full position and all was well. After a few miles this occurred again setting up a pattern that continues periodically while consuming the first quarter of the tank. While burning the bottom 3/4 of the tank, all works just fine. When I refill the tank, the same pattern occurs while consuming the first 1/4 of fuel. The alarm going off is a little frightening. Hoping for an easy, quick, inexpensive fix. Any ideas for me?

Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
Rd1

It is a bad fuel sensor. is this on a freightliner? just curious. I have had that before, which was replaced twice. and now it is acting up again. same scenario, the first 1/4 and the last 1/4.

it doesn't effect anything, just nuisance, however, if you have the gen running while in drive, it'll kill the gen (depending on how ea. unit may be wired).

the replacement "could be" a challenge. in some cases, they may have to remove the fuel tank. so if you are going in, may want to go with low fuel. also have camera handy, if you can, to record it when it happens. if yours is a freightlilner, they may refuse replacing it as a warranty or defect of their own. they were giving me a hard time, till I had it taped. somehow fccc doesn't like to acknowledge their shortcomings.

Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
It is a bad fuel sensor. is this on a freightliner? just curious. I have had that before, which was replaced twice. and now it is acting up again. same scenario, the first 1/4 and the last 1/4.
Thanks Rd1. Yes, it is a Freightliner.

It sounds like this is an issue that is over my meager skill set. Any idea how long the Freightliner warranty coverage is on this? In other words, will it cost me to put this off for a while?
Old 05-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #4
Rd1

the warranty with fccc, hard to say!!! some items are 3 some are 5. this problem is likely out there, some people may not report it, some may not even notice it..

my first failure was so quick, I could never see it. would just hear the beep from the alarm and by the time I looked down, it was gone. On long stretch of road out west, kept an eye on it till I got a glimpse. When I had a tech check it, they couldn't find a problem. over time, the gauge needle dropping down slowed enough that I could take a video

where the tank is on mine was very difficult to get to the top and remove/replace the sensor. had a good tech and he some how manged to replace it. but the first one was defective, so had to get another. and now its gone bad again. I'd call fccc and have them replace it. it is possible they may have had a bad batch of them. they had a bad batch of PDM boxes. it is on them. seems like their 2016, 2017 products, just had too many issues.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a similar issues. It was a bad ground.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I have the same issue on my 2011 MADP kinda. My fuel gauge will drop out to empty, just like I turn the key off, It will stay at empty until I cycle the the key off/on. I have contacted Freightliner and they did not have a clue the local dealer has changed the display twice and still is the same issue. It has been this way since new according to the original owner. I get no alarm and my gen will stay running. I suspect that it is a bad sending unit or a bad ground. I just use the gallons used in the display to gauge the fuel level.
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:02 AM   #7

Having a video of the problem helped the service technician pinpoint the problem in a similar situation.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:14 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all who responded. Your experiences and opinions are most helpful.
Just to let you know - I visited with Freightliner reps yesterday, both nationally and locally. I learned that my 2016 coach is no longer under warranty. I learned that there are no adverse consequences to continuing to use the coach as is - except that the generator may not work while going down the road while the gauge is malfunctioning (rarely do I do this).
I think I may just live with it the way it is for a while.

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I just remembered that there is a updated wire harness for under the dash it is either black or white and is only about 6"s long call freightliner and ask about it but it did not make a difference in my case.
JP

Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas