Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Gas or Diesel???

Hello there,
I am new to all of this so I hope you will forgive any mistakes I make.
My husband and I are looking to buy a gently used RV and we were looking at a 2015 40 foot Newmar Canyon but it's Gas powered and we were told that Diesel is the way to go. So I'm asking for opinions, What are your thoughts and why?
Gas or Diesel??

Thank you for your input
Barbara
Bubba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #2

There are many threads on this topic, and it is more a personal choice than anything else. Both will get you to all the same places, and once you are parked they all do the same thing. We chose gas for a variety of reasons, but I like to do all my own maintenance, which is simple and easy on a gas engine. You will hear all about the noise of the gas engine, the truth of the matter is a gas engine is actually quieter than a diesel engine, it is just up front where you can hear it. When driving on a flat level freeway/highway it is a very smooth quiet ride. When climbing/descending grades it will get louder but nothing that is terrible. We love our Canyon Star, it drives great, tracks well, no sway/roll, and doesn't get pushed around by the wind or big trucks. Newmar is really good about engineering the MH to the chassis, and it will be a smooth, quieter ride than most gas models. It has plenty of power to get you anywhere you want to go, and is easier and less expensive to maintain than a diesel powered MH. Just do your research as you are doing and read up on some of the threads about diesel engines, they are supposed to last 100's of thousands of miles, but that is not always the case and when something fails it is usually way more expensive to repair than a gas engine. You really don't hear too much about gas engine failures or component failures on this forum. The maintenance of the MH portion will be pretty much the same gas or diesel. Good Luck and you won't be disappointed with a Newmar.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Diesel is the way to go. But you might not be disappointed with gas.

With the diesel comes some other things... like air bag suspension and air brakes. But boy, it takes some extra ducketts from the wallet.

Rent a gas powered RV, you'll thank yourself for checking it out first. Plus it will get you primed for layout, tight spaces, parking, driving, cornering, getting in and out of parking lots, hook ups, and the sort.

Hey, by the way, I don't think you could hardly go wrong with Newmar. Popular brand, popular make, done right.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

If you rent a gas model to see if you are going to like the Newmar gas model, as far as ride and performance I think you are wasting your time/money. We drove many gas models that had terrible rides, and did not seem very stable. Once we drove the Newmar Canyon Star it was like night and day, much better stable ride. Most rental companies rent out the lower end MH's, so you are not going to get a good feel for how good the ride can be. Just go out and drive as many as you can while doing your research and you will see a difference. As far as the MH is concerned ours has pretty much the same amenities and definitely the same interior size/slide outs floorplan of the equivalent Newmar Ventanna, but the Ventanna was about $100,000 more at the time.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I couldn't of said it better then Mike and cha. I have drove both gas in diesel. And just can't understand the lore of the diesel. I too enjoy doing my own maintenance gets me off the lawn chair:-).
tdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas or Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
I'm looking at a new RV, it's a Newmar 40 foot gas engine.

What are your thoughts gas or diesel?

Thank you for your input

You just can't go wrong with a Newmar. Quality of components, assembly of units and customer service is outstanding.

I bought a new 39 foot Newmar Canyon Star gasser in 2013 and have been very pleased with it.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #7

I'm really wondering, if going up and down hills is very different in a gas versus a diesel engine. Could you comment on that for me please I don't want to be crawling up a steep grade nor do I want to be stressing about the downhill speed I'm attaining
Thank you
Old 04-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bubba55,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners forum. I did not know Newmar made a 40' gas coach. What coach are you looking at?

To answer your question, the only reason to buy a diesel powered coach is to haul weight. This usually translates into floorplan, capacities, towing capability and eye candy. A gas powered coach is a fine coach. Just don't look for much in the way of useable basement storage and weight carrying capability (your stuff). Make sure you know the towing weight limit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #9

What do you think about the power going upgrades? And how does it handle going down those grades?
Old 04-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #10

Also, I will be towing a ford excursion
Old 04-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #11

My previous coach was gas, and the DP,s would fly by me going up hill. Another advantage to the DP is most have an engine brake to help slowing on the down side.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bubba55,
I've asked the moderators to combine your threads. They are the same topic.

Unless you get into the big engine diesels (ISX, ISM some ISL) you will need patience when climbing hills. I have an ISC. Patience is required climbing hills. This should not be a problem as coach owners need not be in a hurry. After all, that is why we have a coach. Like my signature says, I have 37K of weight moving down the road. Enjoy
Old 04-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bubba55,
Later model gas engines should have a tow/haul feature built into the gear shift stalk. Once you learn how it works it will help you going down hills. You are not going to tow an Excursion with a gas coach. Too much weight.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Do your homework. Canyon star gas 3712 NCCC 3784. Ventana Le Diesel 3709 NCCC 3700. Both just under 38'. At the end of the day the only difference between gas or diesel is price and how fast you go up a hill. Hey what is your hurry you're supposed to be on a holiday:-)
tdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas