Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #1

Gas Verses Hydronic Heat?

Newmar offers both on some of their less expensive models. Please, any thoughts or opinions?
Thank you.
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #2

I've had both in my RV's and my personal residences. Loved the heat from the hydronic systems but had maintenance issues including leaks, pumps, controls, etc. Gas fired systems have been far more reliable and less costly to maintain for me.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Newmar offers both on some of their less expensive models. Please, any thoughts or opinions?
Thank you.
I have a 2008 ABDP with the aquahot system and my neighbour has same unit with lpg/120V HWH and Lpg propane furnace and I like his system better. way way less costs to run and a lot less maintenance in terms of difficultys and $$$ never mind the $8-10 K option costs
Also diesel stinks I don't care what anyone says
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #4

It also depends on how you use your RV. Since we boondock a lot, I had concerns about energy used to run the heating system when I was ordering my latest RV. I did an energy audit on both types of systems, paying particular attention to electric use. Because the hydronic systems must use pumps, air blowers, heater blowers, and numerous other parts, we found electrical consumption on the hydronic systems far exceeded the consumption on the hot air gas systems. Main diesel use for hydronic versus LP usage was a concern as far as replenishment was concerned, but could be handled with portable LP tanks hooked into the main system. This was an issue because we didn't want to have to pack up the RV periodically to get heat fuel.

Based on what I found, I determined that LP was preferable to hydronic heat, even when adding the LP system needed to heat water with LP. Although it took 3 years of asking, Tiffin finally agreed to build me a 43' Alllegro Bus with LP heat, hot water and cooking instead of the standard hydronic system. We have used the system for three and a half years and over 61,000 miles in climates from 17 degrees to well over 100 and have found our bus to be ideally suited to how we want to use it. Since Tiffin is now only producing all electric units with hydronic heat/hot water, if we were ever in the market for a new coach, it wouldn't be a Tiffin. Too bad, as this is our second Bus.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Thank you.
We have the Oasis system on our Ventana and really like it. With the chilly weather the last couple weeks we have been using the diesel burner instead of the AC heat. The diesel use is very minimal, can't even tell on the fuel gauge that it's been used. It cycles on and off as needed and not very often, given the insulation level. I have stood outside while it's running and it's very quiet in operation, and while there is a slight diesel smell it is really faint. I think they have this system designed very well.

Biggest plus is I don't have to deal with propane tanks or refills. Based on our usage, it looks like we could use the burner for weeks without having a problem with fuel levels. I like it, definitely prefer it over a propane system.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:00 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keeping the hydronic system repaired cancels any advantage it might have over furnace hot air.
whmprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #7

Folks, thanks much. Will either of these units run on battery power?
Old 12-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Both need 12 VDC to operate but you need either LPG, GAS or DIESEL to fuel the furnaces.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:48 AM   #9

Thanks again.

Tags
gas, heat