Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Gas vs Diesel

Lol that reminds me so much of another camp parking lot we stayed at[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2149.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	176708  
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
I would imagine a lot of the gas coach "horror" stories are from folks that didn't know what to expect. All MH's are top-heavy, swaying, wandering, bumpy, terror factories when compared to your average car, even more so when compared to luxury or sports cars.
*For me the CS was my 4th class A gas motorhome, 3 5er's and one slip in Lance camper.

It also depends on how you plan to use it. For leisurely travel, say a couple of hundred miles every few days at most (full timing type travel) where you can avoid interstates, wind, rush hour, etc. for the most part, does it matter all that much? If you're a weekend warrior driving 7 hours to the Nascar race or a family reunion at 1pm on a Friday going 75 mph, it might get a little old.
*Totally agree with most of this

Then there's cost. Buying new? Expect to pay at least $100,000 more than that Bay Star, more like $200K. Buying used? Expect to pay a lot more or get a significantly older model.
*Absolutely!

Now if you were talking about buying a Thor ACE or Forest River FR3, that would be one thing. You're talking about buying a Newmar Bay Star. They are like mini Dutch Stars, in our opinion. Solid, well-built coaches with good cargo capacity, big tanks and DP style quality and appointments inside and out.
*Agreed.

We've got a 3113 on order and we plan to full time. We plan for this to be our "last coach." We don't want to spend $300k on a MH. We want smaller, lighter and more nimble. We're looking to downsize and simplify our lifestyle and the Bay Star is perfect.
*Definitely a personal preference.

If you like it, go for it. Don't let the relative few that complain and whine and are never happy make you buy something you don't want to. Don't succumb to the fear.
*Being informed definitely reduces fear, drive them all, look at your budget, consider that it might be easier to afford more while still working and also better as far as a write off while incomes are higher.

And even if you feel the need to add Sumo springs, sway bars and steering stabilizers you're still saving hundreds of thousands of dollars. Buy a DP you don't really want so you might not have to spend a couple of thousand dollars on a gas coach to improve it's ride and handling is false economy.
*What he said, don't buy a DP so you don't have to add suspension upgrades to a gasser. And for sure buy a Newmar what ever it is
See * for my points
Old 09-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #17

Gas RV owner horror stories include
- I have no power to go up that mountain - its loud and I am only going 35mph
- It gets really loud climbing a mountain or attempting to pass
- is it suppose to accelerate this slow when pulling my toad
- it's a pita to get fuel since most gas stations will not fit my RV

Diesel RV horror stories include
- I paid $,$$$ for a new turbo
- I paid $$$ for normal scheduled work
- I paid $,$$$ for ...... repair and had to wait ... days where semi trucks get priority

There is good and bad with either setup and as others mentioned it really depends on how you plan on using your RV, that is unless money spent on normal maintenance doesn't matter ($60 vs $300+). If it doesn't matter then get a diesel. Most state you need to drive close to 10,000 miles a year for a DP to pay off financially vs a gas RV.

My last coach was gas, it was a 08 Bounder on a workhorse chassis. I do wish it had more power (my Jeep Wrangler unlimited also needs 100hp) however my biggest complaint wasn't that or the ride, it was difficulty filling up with gas. Ride quality was actually really good except for those expansion joints. Noise wasn't a issue even when the engine was revving up, huge improvement over previous gas RV's.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #18

We had an Isata 3 and traded up to a BayStar 3124. We had to have a king size bed. (2 Labradoodles)

We just completed a 5k trip. We love it. Easy driving and parking. Easy to maneuver in tight spaces.

The cost differences between diesel and regular gas was negligible. 26 gal vs 80 gal.

The quality of the coach was night and day. We never felt closed in or on top of each other in the Newmar.

What can I say.. we love our Newmar. Very happy. By the way, it has served us well during Irma as our substitute home while we wait for power to return.

Already planning out next trip!
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:32 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=NC25T;3805385]Gas RV owner horror stories include
- I have no power to go up that mountain QUOTE]

For me I thought the V10 6spd had plenty of power, especially after installing the 5Star tune. Plenty of uphill power. Also pretty quite on the uphill
Old 09-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #20

Several years ago , while still learning about what I wanted I stopped to look at RVs at a dealership . The salesman was very helpful & explained a lot , he let me drive 2 motor homes of similar size & age , both were early 2000 36 ft . 1 gas , 1 diesel .
We went on about a 30 minute drive in each . My conclusion .
The diesel is very nice & yes I liked it better .
I also like steak better than pork chops . But they aren't in my budget . If the time ever comes where I can afford to buy & all the expense that goes with it , I'd like to have a DP.
In the mean time , my gasser is doing fine .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
It really comes down to what you want to do. For me, I wanted to be able to tow a trailer that weighed a little over 5000 lbs and I didn't want to be over the GCWR. I also didn't want to be super slow and I wanted the motorhome to last. A gas engine cannot perform or last like a diesel...bottom line. Did I want a brand new motorhome? You bet. But I couldn't afford a brand new DP so I found a dutchstar that was 9 years old, looked like it was 2 years old and was slightly less than a brand new Newmar gasser. I got the best of both worlds! My motorhome performs the same whether the trailer is behind it or not. It's great. But we do a lot of driving. You gotta buy what suits your needs, wants and most of all budget.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:04 PM   #22

One of the main safety differences if you are driving in any big hills is the engine brake and superior air brakes of a diesel pusher. I previously had a gas A class, and although it was more than sufficient, it was a bit scary in the big hills. So much better with the engine brake. You hardly ever need to put the brakes on. I came down one big mountain in first gear, and it was not enough to hold back my gasser. Hitting the brakes hard and letting off got me to the bottom, but my brakes were very hot. Glad I wasnt towing anything.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
One of the main safety differences if you are driving in any big hills is the engine brake and superior air brakes of a diesel pusher. I previously had a gas A class, and although it was more than sufficient, it was a bit scary in the big hills. So much better with the engine brake. You hardly ever need to put the brakes on. I came down one big mountain in first gear, and it was not enough to hold back my gasser. Hitting the brakes hard and letting off got me to the bottom, but my brakes were very hot. Glad I wasnt towing anything.

This is exactly what I have experienced on more than one occasion. It is very unnerving.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:56 AM   #24

Gas VS Diesel for many years this debate been going on. Here my answer, What can I afford and what do we want to do. I didn't have 100k I had about enough to buy a 2001 v10 Dutch Star then I had to buy a Toad and a Tow bar, Wow those ain't cheap. I got a older Jeep wrangler works great easy to tow not much stain on that v10. We have driven about 8000 miles in 3 years. It may take us longer to get there and a little less comfort on our way, but when we do we shut her off and it make no difference then. We bought out Motor home to travel and see some country and still have some money for gas, food and park fees, Things like that. There are still maintenance issue too with gas. Tires, new brakes etc. I just put in a new Allure floor had the front seat redone(not cheap) and replaced the old recliner. I'd like a new diesel, maybe the next one.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:01 AM   #25

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
We bought a Canyon Star gas MH and it has been great. No "horror" stories here. It was ordered with sway bars/ track bars ect, and with the heavier chassis at the time(26K). It drives great, has plenty of power and gets us everywhere we want to go. Newmar does a great job of engineering the MH to the chassis, which makes a big difference in the ride and handling. The reason we went with a gas MH was I can do all my own maintenance on the gas engine where I do not think I could on the diesel, and I hate to leave my MH anywhere if I don't have to.

They are all pretty much the same once parked and just as comfortable depending on the amenities it has. Ours is well equipped and I can't really think of anything else we need for "camping" or traveling. Good luck with you decision, it's a highly debated topic with no right or wrong answer, just what works best for you considering your needs.
A clarion voice in the wilderness!
Old 09-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
A big part of rving for me is the journey. If your itinerary involves mountains or towing a load OR both...go diesel! I prefer to keep the blood flowing freely to my knuckles and have a happy and comfortable bride next to me sipping her coffee as we take in Gods mountainous wonders and beauty.

I've heard many say Gee, wish I went with a diesel...honestly haven't heard anyone say the opposite! Your choice...safe travels either way!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #27
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gas vs Diesel

One thing that doesn't usually come up in these Gas vs. Diesel discussions is available amenities on the Diesel.

Hydronic heat
Tile floors
Larger battery banks
Larger quieter generators

And length differences. While there is some overlap, there are very few DP's under 35 feet and no gasser that I'm aware of over 38 feet or so.

They are quite different beasts. You get what you pay for. It's like saying should I get a small chevy or an Audi A8L. Both will do the job. One will with nicer amenities, better performance and a more comfortable drive. Whether your use "needs" the expense of a DP, only you can decide.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
One thing that doesn't usually come up in these Gas vs. Diesel discussions is available amenities on the Diesel.

Hydronic heat
Tile floors
Larger battery banks
Larger quieter generators

And length differences. While there is some overlap, there are very few DP's under 35 feet and no gasser that I'm aware of over 38 feet or so.

They are quite different beasts. You get what you pay for. It's like saying should I get a small chevy or an Audi A8L. Both will do the job. One will with nicer amenities, better performance and a more comfortable drive. Whether your use "needs" the expense of a DP, only you can decide.

Well stated. I agree. To add to your point: Nobody needs an Audi R8,if they have one it's because they want one for the thrill and enjoyment of ownership. Buy what thrills you!

Tags
diesel, gas