Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Leak is into the discharge tube. Lol. Your right that does seem kinda gross!
Something about using a toothbrush and your emoji with the big smiling teeth makes it more gross.

Is the valve able to slide all the way closed? I would think that a leak internal could be because of worn seals or the valve not closing all the way, or a buildup of crud on the gate itself. Worn seals means replacement, I would think. Valve not closing all the way is probably an obstruction that the toothbrush might be able to clear.

If crud built up on the gate itself, it is probably on the upstream side, going to have to pull the valve to clean it. I found the valves to be fairly reasonably priced, I would have a spare in hand and just replace it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2022, 01:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
My bad, my suggested fix was for outside the valves dripping. In your case it requires your wife with smaller hands to get to the seals within the drain. Just say you read it here on IRV2.com
LOL good luck with that!
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:33 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a YouTube video somewhere, where a fellow drilled a hole just up from the pull handle, and squirted WD-40 in the slide. It made the blade go "home" and sealed his dripping grey water valve. He put a small screw in the hole.
Worth a try...........

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
My bad, my suggested fix was for outside the valves dripping. In your case it requires your wife with smaller hands to get to the seals within the drain. Just say you read it here on IRV2.com
And after he points her to this thread that described the wife taking on this task, she is going to be looking for some guy with the handle of Dutchstar411 to take his head and shove it up the drain.

If the toothbrush doesn't work, I would just figure on replacing the valve. I would run a bunch of water through all of the tanks, grey & black, before I got started, hopefully flushing the smell to a point where gagging was not an issue.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:42 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Leak is into the discharge tube. Lol. Your right that does seem kinda gross!
Only if you reuse the toothbrush!

If you do need to replace the vales 3" black and 1.5" grey, here is a little trick. Either take the sides of a plastic milk carton or one of those really thin plastic cutting mats and cut two squares, larger than the size of the new valve body.

Put a piece of the plastic on both sides of the valve body and then insert the assembly into place. Once it's centered, pull the plastic pieces out. This keeps you from rolling/bunching up the new seals while trying to install the valve.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:05 PM   #20

Have you studied your valve and pipe routing? On my BSS the black tank valve is more or less accessible but the gray tank valve would be VERY difficult to replace. It is almost exactly in the dead center of the coach and facing forward. There is very little clearance and it is an impossibly long reach. During my PDI I asked the tech how it would be serviced or replaced and he said “the best way is to remove a section of the inside floor”! I THINK but am not certain it would not come to that but it’d be a close thing. I believe id live with a small leak into the drain pipe for a long time before I’d tackle the job.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
Have you studied your valve and pipe routing? On my BSS the black tank valve is more or less accessible but the gray tank valve would be VERY difficult to replace. It is almost exactly in the dead center of the coach and facing forward. There is very little clearance and it is an impossibly long reach. During my PDI I asked the tech how it would be serviced or replaced and he said “the best way is to remove a section of the inside floor”! I THINK but am not certain it would not come to that but it’d be a close thing. I believe id live with a small leak into the drain pipe for a long time before I’d tackle the job.
No I have not. I'll have a look over the weekend. It's in storage but not to far away.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:11 PM   #22

Spartan Chassis
I am sitting back getting a real chuckle at some of the comments. I have replaced several of the gate valves and have even torn one apart to "rebuild" it. It's easier to replace them. Someone told me the WD40 trick for lubricating the seals several years ago so I tried it, and haven't had to replace mine since. Someone else said you can use vegetable oil but I haven't tried that. Using a toothbrush to clean seals doesn't sound like something I could ever talk the DW into doing! She'd likely suggest what I could do with it.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:09 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have done the wd40 trick with great success. Keeps the valves freely opening and closing.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:15 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have done the wd40 trick with great success. Keeps the valves freely opening and closing.
DITTO
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:17 PM   #25

I had a small leak from the tank gate valve into the discharge pipe. It would collect maybe a pint of waste water between dumping. Quite a long distance to replace the valve. So, I simply added a second gate valve to the discharge pipe. Now, I attach the hose, then open the auxiliary valve, then open the main valve.

Works great, and no surprise when I take off the drain cap to attach the hose.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:13 PM   #26

More than likely not the valve but rather paper stuck on the gate if the valve. Probably disassemble and clean
Mrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:21 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
For those that don't want their wife to clean it with a tooth brush, maybe this would be better... just saying...

https://www.amazon.com/CPAP-Tube-Cle...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bristle brush_.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	367075  
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Mine have handles. I have not inspected them closely to see if there is a brand name visible.
I just replaced my black tank valve with a Valterra 3 inch valve from e-trailer.

It was not a hard job. The hardest thing is separating the two pipes after the valve is un bolted. You have to separate them to get the old valve out and the new one in. I think it took me a half hour because I was working by my self. With another person it would be easier.

Good Luck!
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, valve