Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #1

Generator hours seem pretty excessive - need input

Hello to all on the forum,

This is my first post - so I apologise for asking a long question right off the bat, but my decision to move forward will depending on what you folks say... .

I am about to purchase a hardly used and fully loaded 2015 Newmar Essex with the Freightliner chassis. It also is the "all electric" version.

I personally know the elderly couple (mid 80's) that have owned it since brand new. It only has 15,000 maintained miles, was serviced when needed, and was always stored in a heated and air conditioned building. Note that it was always plugged into a 50 amp service when not being used. The house battery bank shows 13.5 volts - I believe.

It was primarily used by the current owner for trips of a duration of several weeks at a time with the final destination being an RV park (usually in Florida) with full hookups. is unlikely that it has had a total of more than 8 to 10 weeks of actual "lived in" use. It is literally like new.

My dilemma and subject question - When I push "Genset" on the touchpad I observe the words "Stopped" followed by "8718:27"

I am assuming that this 8718:27 number is the 12.5 Cummins generators hour meter reading - am I correct? Could this be in a mode where it is counting something else?

If this reading is hours - it sure seems excessive to me, given the mileage and the fact that when parked (for use as well as storage) - it was always plugged into 50 amps.

I asked the owners and they really had no idea. They said they would sometimes do laundry and cook while driving - so they obviously used the generator.

I do not have the manuals ... so I am not yet familiar with the Gen's operation parameters - i.e auto start, when power is needed vs. always on and idling, etc... I also took a picture of the SilverLeaf screen, so if reqd - I can post that.

I am a mechanical engineer - and as such... I can digest the technical stuff quite well.

Thank you in advance for the input and feedback.
- Mike
Long Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
8718 would be excessive i think. That would be like running it for a year. Did you look at the generator hour meter on the side of the genny itself ??? If it said Stopped 8718 i'm wondering also if it is a code of some type . Good luck, wish I could find a 2015 like this .
Old 12-24-2020, 09:06 AM   #3

Its definitely not hours. It is a code of some sort. You can go to the Cummins Onan site and there is a very easy way to determine what made it shut down. There is a series of flashing lights on the start button that will tell you what the code is. But I am also thinking that it is not an Onan code and may be a Silverleaf code. It does not sound familiar. But it definitely is not an hours indication.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:07 AM   #4

I don't recall that Silveleaf reports hours on the generator. I've never thought or looked for that. Silveleaf is very helpful and will tell you what that number represents. (888-741-0259)
Your best bet is to slide the generator out and read it's hour meter. Based on your description of the coach, it is probably low in hours. ....... Sounds like a very ice coach.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
That’s a nice coach you’re looking into. I’d bet most anything that isn’t what it appears. Is there not a mechanical hour meter on the generator itself you can look at?
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #6

That's excessive hours for sure. You should just pass on this coach and could you send me the name and address of the current owners?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #7

That number may be the hours on the generator. It is not by any means excessive. I had over 6000 hours on mine when I traded in my last coach. I spend a lot of time at race tracks in the summer, use the generator to keep the coach cool when traveling, use it frequently at some hunting property I lease.
The generator is made to be run and at a high load. I know people with far more hours than I had on that generator. I also have run into people who never used the generator or used it very infrequently. They usually ended up with problems with the generator because of little or no use. And of course the problem would happen when they really did need to run the generator.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #8

Thank you for all of the input thus far on the generator hours ... I could not get the generator slide to open, thus the reason I could not yet check meter on the unit itself. Had key in the "on" position, but operator switch had no effect on energising the slide mechanism. I also noted that the light inside (the same elec panel as switch) was not operating. Not sure of issue - circuit breaker? fuse? master switch?

Any chance that the Silverleaf display is calibrated for minutes? The concept of "8718:28" being acode of some sort has some merit too. Just do not see that # as hours due to the known usage history.

One more question, and I am too lazy to start a new thread...

I know it is subjective - but I would appreciate feelings on the private party "market value" of this 2015 Essex with the 4553 configuration and 15,100 miles. It is pretty much loaded with every option:

Freightliner chassis, adaptive cruise, floor heat, GE Advantium Oven, central vacuum, dishwasher, 4 tv's, security system, passenger navigation, in motion satellite, premium finish on all wood, extra upper cabinets in living room, six solar panels, two power basement slides, RV Sanicon system, shower seat, and more... i.e. aftermarket front tire blowout control (not sure what this is ... but I was told it had a military style run-flat system). Owner said this run-flat syst was pretty spendy ...but at his advanced age felt it gave him a great piece of mind when on the road.

Also note - known history since new, never in an accident and always stored in a climate controlled building.

I can buy this unit for $370k to $375k. To me ... this seems to be very fair for both parties, but would appreciate an affirmation from you experts. I am certainly NOT stealing this Newmar at that price point ... but feel the known history has some intrinsic added value. I see all the receipts that show they really paid up for this Essex, and are taking a huge depreciation hit now on this sale. Not sure - but I suspect that its replacement cost in 2021 would be pushing 900k... perhaps more.

Is $370k a fair price?
Much thanks.
- Mke
Old 12-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #9

My only caution is that I believe it has the Cummins ISX 600 hp engine. There have been some problems with the #6 exhaust valve on some versions and years of the ISX. Don’t know if this one falls into any risk category, but someone who knows will respond and clarify.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:10 PM   #10

Yes, it is indeed the 600 hp ISX.

I was not aware of issues... thought it was pretty sorted out and bullet proof.
-Mike
Old 12-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Spur View Post
Yes, it is indeed the 600 hp ISX.

I was not aware of issues... thought it was pretty sorted out and bullet proof.
-Mike
Very well may be. Someone who knows will post soon, I’m certain. It seems the 650 hp was the most troublesome, but a few 600s also had issues. It was earlier in the years of emissions changes so by 2015, that particular problem could easily have been resolved.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:19 PM   #12

We have meet RV motor home owners who run their gen. as soon as the start their engine and don't shut it off till the next RV park.
Do check and see if your 15 Essex with the FL chassis and the 15 ISX has had the fan cage brackets replaced. Numerous FL owners with this chassis have had their engine fan go through their CAC and radiator which you would be a major problem. FL has a recall and the latest up grade seems to be the fix. Wouldn't travel in your Essex until this information is know.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #13

8718 ÷ 24 = 363.25

The owners were not full timers, the rig is 5 years old with 15k miles, and they parked it in a powered bay. I don't think they ran the generator for just shy of a year. I have a 2014 with 364 hours on the genset and I feel I'm pretty liberal about using it, and I have 23k miles.

I think that's a good price on a nice unit
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #14

I doubt that those are generator hours run time? I have a 2014 MADP & use it at football tailgates & boon-docking and I only have 752 hrs. on the generator.
Try turning the key to the left- acc position & then try the power generator slide extension button-in first basement compartment on drivers side- with fuses. There's a black box with rocker switch that opens & closes the hydraulic powered generator slide. Look at the hour meter on the generator itself.

That's a really nice coach & really low mileage for a 2015! Good luck on buying it!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator