Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2022, 07:06 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The depth of the fuel pickup tube for a generator is not an exact science. It could be longer than it should be.

Who knows, they could have plugged it in and someone shut off the breaker at night when they went home.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2022, 07:53 PM   #16

My generator would quit at 3/8 tank which annoyed me as being too soon. While I had the fuel pump out for replacement I used a piece of fuel line to extend the pickup to maybe an estimated 1/8 tank. Living dangerously? Yeah, well, maybe.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:56 PM   #17

History in Silverleaf showed plugged in around 10AM and generator came on 1 hour later. Wondering if they did not turn AC on when plugged in and when inside temperatures got high it came on.. I will report back in August after visit to factory. Art at Silverleaf said they will use an oscilloscope to get information off and send to him. He said he will be able to follow sequence of events in great detail then. Thanks everyone one for your input. I have turned AGS of for time being
drdonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdonny View Post
History in Silverleaf showed plugged in around 10AM and generator came on 1 hour later. Wondering if they did not turn AC on when plugged in and when inside temperatures got high it came on.. I will report back in August after visit to factory. Art at Silverleaf said they will use an oscilloscope to get information off and send to him. He said he will be able to follow sequence of events in great detail then. Thanks everyone one for your input. I have turned AGS of for time being
Hi Doc-

Silverleaf will be a big help.

I suspect that the generator pickup tube in the fuel tank was not installed correctly, or they used a wrong part that reaches deeper into your tank. If you ever have need to drop the tank, pull the tubes and take a look. It really, really should not have burned through the last 20 gallons that are gone.

For the cause, I think the speculation about the shop shore power outlet loosing power (or it got unplugged) is the safest bet, but we'll see what Art has to say.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:43 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
After you stop bickering maybe you can talk with NIRVC and see if they noticed the generator running because based on just what you say are the facts. It ran for almost two weeks and AGS didn’t allow that to happen even if it’s configured incorrectly. How many hours are on the genset now? Maybe your fuel was syphoned?
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:51 AM   #20

You are not reading the information correctly or the entire posts. It was running when I arrived to picked it up. You are assuming the fuel tank was full which it was not and assuming that generator would cut off when got below 1/4 tank. The Silverleaf history shows when it was plugged into shore power and when generator came on. We are not here to argue, but help others out.
drdonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:05 AM   #21

The pick up tube could be longer and that’s why it allowed it to use more fuel. Things happen in production sometimes. That can always be looked at for proper length. The auto gen locks would have had to been cleared in order for the genset to run. Can you provide a picture of the ags screen so we can see what triggers are active. Do you have the exerciser activated. When you say coming on while plugged into shore power, do you mean you picked it up and it was on or do you mean while you are in the coach, it will kick on? If the voltage at the pole is not high enough to carry all the loads, the auto gen can start. As more coaches get plugged into the grid it lowers down the voltage. Then as we ask for more loads that does as well. If we had asked for all 3 airs and our electric elements for the oasis that’s a large load that can trigger the ags due to low voltage. You can show 120v at the panel but as the components come on it can lower that below the threshold and start the genset. I would try another plug and see if that continues or it was a one time issue. You can reach me at 972-697-6325 and I can assist you further if needed. That’s my cell number.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:00 PM   #22

Perhaps someone stole your fuel? It would be impossible for the tank to get that low from running the genny because the line to the generator is higher in the tank.
Canusa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:17 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Onan EC30 Energy Command Program not seeing one leg of 50a due to tripped breaker/ breaker =off? This cud allow battery to run down, and/or GEN start to run air? Good Luck. Let us know?
Old 06-26-2022, 03:34 PM   #24

AGS on when plugged in

I will tell you what happened to us. At our home, we have 30 amp service and the AGS is set to 30 A Shore power. So we were away, using 50 amp and the generator kicked on. Now we had A/C, and W/D running so we were definitely using more than 30 amp. It took us quite awhile to figure out why....now I make certain I check the shore setting on the AGS. Perhaps that is why it came on? Just a thought.
DJsAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #25

Generator auto start

I had a problem with my generator starting when auto when the ac came on even when on shore power. Turned out that there was no voltage to indicate shore power was available.
Wbwimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #26

I have heard that manufacturer put short tube on generator pickup for years. However, I got caught without access to diesel one time and was running generator with only 15 gallons left. 2000 Monaco Diplomat.
cpat39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:43 PM   #27

I've seen this

Our 2014 Itasca Ellipse did the same thing, but I became aware of it when I tried to set up the AGS at a campsite and the geny started even though I had shore power. One shop checked it out and couldn't find a problem. During some end of warranty service at the Winnebago factory, I had them check it out. Turned out to be a bad relay in the AC sense circuit. It wasn't able to tell when shore power was connected and active.
RETPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:59 PM   #28

Jvf

I just experienced the same problem. I was plugged in to my home shore power and thought it was powering my inverter for the coach.i. It wasn’t 50 amp but just 120 volts 20 amps. However, it was still shore power. When plugged in, ever so many hours my generator would start up and run for a few hours. Come to find out it was a bad transfer switch! Even though I was plugged in to shore power the electric was not going though the switch itself so basically I thought the shore power was on but it wasn’t. My inverter was only working off my batteries until they got low to the point the automatic generator function kicked in and started it up to recharge the batteries………

Bottom line - make sure the transfer switch is working!
jvf3877 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, service