Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #1

Generator Oil Change

Ok, so this is second oil change on my 5500 ONAN. First time around I went all Onan. Filter and OnaMax oil 15W40.

I have enough of this oil to probably do this next change but I might be a few ounces short.

My questions are:

1) Is it a good idea to stick with the Onan Parts? (harder to get and more expensive)
2) If I am short a bit of this OnaMax 15W40 can I add some 10W40 of a different brand?
3) Moving forward can I just use a name brand say 10W40?

Not much experience with Gen sets so hoping for some assistance.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2022, 01:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post
Ok, so this is second oil change on my 5500 ONAN. First time around I went all Onan. Filter and OnaMax oil 15W40.

I have enough of this oil to probably do this next change but I might be a few ounces short.

My questions are:

1) Is it a good idea to stick with the Onan Parts? (harder to get and more expensive)
2) If I am short a bit of this OnaMax 15W40 can I add some 10W40 of a different brand?

Thanks
if under warranty stick with the onan parts for now. Down the road, it won't matter as long as it's a quality part.

Oil, you can run what you want in it, again if it's under warranty still onan may only want their oil ran in it. Otherwise any quality oil will do and they mostly are all quality oils these days from store brands to the name brands.
Myself, I ran the oil that came with my gen for a couple of hours, dumped it, and did 2 more changes of conventional oil up to 10 hours and now run amsoil in mine.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:33 PM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Do not mix the 2 different manufacturers of oil. Use the same weight as well. If you buy Napa oil, only use that. Donít mix. You can also use different filters. We will use both Onan and Napa filters, depending on what the customer wants. You can also source cheaper filters from your local auto parts dealer. Ir reach out to NIRVC parts and they can ship them to you.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:37 PM   #4

I have a somewhat older coach. I put rotella T4 in the 7.5KW gen set. never an issue. onan filters always. but, thats just me. follow your warranty guide at all costs.
capt fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:57 PM   #5

TG3614 for me.. and 10w-40.. no warranty.. the real problem is.. not changing enough.. every yr.. no matter if 0 hours.. if in hot.. or dusty .. then when get home.. never spray water on it.. to clean.. wipe down by hand or use air.. mine has soot port on bottom of muffler.. that needs cleaned out.. looks like drain.. pull and start gen to blow out soot.. I got a lot.. only 250hrs on 22yrs old set..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 06-27-2022, 04:34 AM   #6

My years of experience is that OEM parts are great, but if you do your research, you can find after market parts that are as good or better, sometimes for a better price. Everybody has their own opinion about using different oils. Just be sure the oil you use meets the specs of the manufacturer. You may want to investigate changing the air and fuel filters as well. Good luck.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:58 AM   #7

You can use any brand name oil as long as it meets the specs in the owners manual. Same holds true for oil filters. Stick to a good quality brand like NAPA, WIX, Baldwin.
Although may people don't recommend mixing different brands of oils , you should be ok as long as the brand you are using has the same specs.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
You can use any brand name oil as long as it meets the specs in the owners manual. Same holds true for oil filters. Stick to a good quality brand like NAPA, WIX, Baldwin.
Although may people don't recommend mixing different brands of oils , you should be ok as long as the brand you are using has the same specs.
I think Bobby is correct in that intentionally oils from different manufacturers shouldnít be mixed. I always carry extra oil if the need arises where I need to top it off.

Having said that, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I remember the days of yesteryear when service stations would check your oil for you. Most stations carried a few quarts of almost every oil available. I faintly remember the attendant asking my mom if she knew what kind of oil was used in her car. She generally knew. I wonder how many people, in general, especially ladies, could give that information.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:43 AM   #9

I have your genny and use Wix filters and Rotella T-5 oil (even though it is a gas genny). They have worked great for 400 hours and 8 years.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:44 AM   #10

you will mix oil when you change from the break in oil to your oil of choice even if it is the OEM oil. mixing oil from one change to another isn't going to hurt anything.. ever unless it's truly crappy oil

most oil if not all you buy off the shelf is a good enough oil and isn't going to blow anything up or damage anything if you change to another brand.
Maybe 40 plus years ago it was a real thing, more than likely it's to keep you buying that brand..
Old 06-27-2022, 07:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I curious to know why itís thought that you canít/shouldnít change or mix oils brands. As long as the oil meets the spec whatís the difference? Also, you are not required to use any manufacturers products because a motor is under warranty.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I curious to know why it’s thought that you can’t/shouldn’t change or mix oils brands. As long as the oil meets the spec what’s the difference? Also, you are not required to use any manufacturers products because a motor is under warranty.
Actually, I think you are correct in that you can change oil brands or mix oils.

However, that would be ok in a perfect world and only one if it’s done correctly. If everyone was as smart and knowledgeable as you, it probably wouldn’t hurt a thing.

But that certainly isn’t the case. Most people with no mechanical background will never do the mixing correctly. Oils of different viscosities will be mixed. Synthetics will be mixed with pure petroleum products, etc. Some oils have additives that may not be compatible with another oil’s additives. Then, if the engine starts having issues, those people will demand someone correct their mistake.

So engine manufacturers will tell you not to mix oils and I think I understand why.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Actually, I think you are correct in that you can change oil brands or mix oils.

However, that would be ok in a perfect world and only one if itís done correctly. If everyone was as smart and knowledgeable as you, it probably wouldnít hurt a thing.

But that certainly isnít the case. Most people with no mechanical background will never do the mixing correctly. Oils of different viscosities will be mixed. Synthetics will be mixed with pure petroleum products, etc. Some oils have additives that may not be compatible with another oilís additives. Then, if the engine starts having issues, those people will demand someone correct their mistake.

So engine manufacturers will tell you not to mix oils and I think I understand why.
smh more myths
yes they tell you because they want you to keep using their product!
Old 06-28-2022, 07:06 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post

My questions are:

Thanks
I would not use 10W40. Donít forget, the first number is the weight or viscosity of the oil. If you use 10W40, you are using a 10 weight oil in hot Arizona. Onan calls for a 15 weight oil. If you research it, you will find that Onan says to use a straight 30 weight oil in hot climates. 10 weight oil is too thin.

Tags
generator, oil change