RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #1

Generator running problem

I am having a problem with my Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel Generator.
I have serviced the unit with oil change All new Filters-oil, air, and fuel. Here is what I am experiencing now.
It normally takes me 1-2 attempts for the Gen to start. Now it’s taking 5-6 long grinding attempts to get the generator to start. Once running the initial 30-60 seconds are not smooth or confident. (Once it’s smoothed out, it will support the running of any 110 appliances, floor fans, the electric element of the hydro-hot, the refrigerator etc.) When I turn on the roof AC units it runs the fans with no effort. However, the moment the compressors kick in the generator will surge for a while (60-90 sec. maybe) cough and then die. If I manage to turn the AC's off while it is surging/coughing it recovers and runs what I would call “Properly”.
I have some suspicions as to what could be wrong but I would appreciate any thoughts and input you all might have. Any further trouble shooting applications you feel I should try as well.
Thanks.

THERAPY GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #2

Assuming you have enough fuel in the tank.

I don't know if your 2007 coach could have the same issue as mine , but , the fuel line slack , behind the gen set , kinked as a result of multiple use of the gen set slide, on my 99 .
That kink reduced fuel flow , and led to power issues with my gen set.

Try running a gen set load test with the gen set slide extended.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #3

I recall a issue with Onan generators not wanting to run and would die without warning. In my case it would happen when the oil level was low. Now, when I mean low it would be right at the full mark. I have to run mine about 1/2 to 1 quart high to make it run properly and not die. I know another person with similar issues and he cured his by adding additional oil to the generator.

Since you just changed oil it could be your issue. It might be right at the level where the pickup is sucking air and causing the pressure sensor to cause the shutdown. JMO..
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #4

I have also heard that some of the ONAN oil dipsticks are marked incorrectly. There is a thread on here someplace... Apparently if the oil level on the stick is all the way up to the top it will run for a short time and stop. The poster of that thread then removed some oil so as the level was 1/4" above the FIRST line, (which would actually show the unit needed another 3/4 quart of oil. ) He says that he has had NO issues since.
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:57 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Assuming you have enough fuel in the tank.

I don't know if your 2007 coach could have the same issue as mine , but , the fuel line slack , behind the gen set , kinked as a result of multiple use of the gen set slide, on my 99 .
That kink reduced fuel flow , and led to power issues with my gen set.

Try running a gen set load test with the gen set slide extended.
Mine was acting up also. I used your suggestion and it has run flawlessly for 14 hours. Thanks !!
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Have you recovered any error codes when the genset coughs and dies?

Tags
generator, problem